Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

This is a discussion on Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I just got my new M&P 9mm (full size) a little over a week ago. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

Big Scare with New Remora Holster Today!

So, I just got my new M&P 9mm (full size) a little over a week ago. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to do a full reliability check yet. The day I picked it up, I only got a chance to run 50 flawless rounds of 115 gr. fmj WWB through it. Even though it was such a limited shooting session, I was still very impressed and glad I bought it. I've got 250 rounds of Federal 147 gr HST defensive rounds to burn through it for testing, but I just haven't had a chance to do it. Very frustrating to say the least

So today I was happy my new Remora (with reinforced lip and sweat shield) along with a Remora dual magazine carrier arrived for my new gun. I'll tell ya, I was very hesitant in getting a holster and mag carrier which has absolutely no way to physically attach it to my belt. That whole concept just rubs me the wrong way. I don't even like holsters with those spring steel clips very much. I once had a Bianchi mag carrier with one of those clips and I snagged on the car door once and the whole mag carrier with 16 round magazine popped off my belt and landed on the deck. But with all the good reviews I've read here and elsewhere, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. Why I trust some of you DC guys is beyond me, but I went ahead and bought the Remora anyway.

The day before yesterday my microwave oven blew up, so today I thought I'd wear the Remora rig when I went to Walmart to buy a new microwave. I also thought I might as well buy another 200 rounds of target ammo to use on my reliability test while I'm there. Since I didn't want to carry an untested gun, I reluctantly put the new M&P back in it's case and shoved my XD9sc in the Remora. It fit just fine (another plus for the Remora). I put one of the 16 round magazines and my Fenix LD20 in the double mag carrier and adjust the rigs in my Carhart jeans. Pistol at 4 o'clock, mag carrier at about 8 o'clock and cell phone case at 9 o'clock. Duluth Trading Company "No-Polo" polo shirt, untucked as a cover garment.

I must say, it was extremely comfortable and seemed to be secure. I checked in the mirror for bulges or printing and had the wife do a once over. The only bulge was my cell phone case (County Comm horizontal mount with velcro flap nylon case carrying my Samsung "Rugged" cell phone. No bulge or printing from the holster or the mag carrier.

Now this isn't my first rodeo testing out new guns, holsters, or other types of gear, but still something kept nagging the back of my mind "There's nothing tying this rig onto my belt!" I mean, Mr. Murphy has always been my friggon co-pilot, and if something's going to go wrong, it'll happen to me. A former boss of mine once told me there always seems to be a "little black cloud" that follows me everywhere. <---

So, I'm driving to Walmart, everything's going great. Holster is so comfortable, by the time I get to Walmart, I can't even tell I'm wearing a gun. Get out of the truck at Walmart, everything is snug as a bug, no shifting, no slippage, and everything's golden.

Stop by sporting goods, pick-up 200 rounds Winchester white box, and head for the microwaves. Call the wife on cell phone to discuss different models of microwaves... finally decide on one and throw it in the basket next to my box-o-bullets. Stop and pick up some other things on list the wife gave me when I hear a woman talking on the store PA system. Now I usually ignore that stuff, but my radar went off when I heard the words... "Walmart is experiencing a nation-wide problem, and for the time being, they can not process any credit cards, debit cards, or checks at the check-out lines!" What the hell? Did I just hear that right? She continued... "Please bear with us for this inconvenience, but we can only process customers with cash only at this time!" All I have on me is check-book, credit cards, and $40 cash! Crap! Forty mile round trip for nothing! Call the wife again, "You're not gonna believe this... " Then I remember, my bank has a branch in Walmart at the front of the store!

So, dump all the crap I have in the cart on some shelf except for the microwave oven and the bullets (gotta have priorities), and make a bee-line to the bank to cash a check before they announce they can no longer do cash transactions! There was a line at the bank with people waiting to cash a personal check. I get my money and head to the check out.

All goes well at check out, and that's when it happened... I take two steps towards the door pushing the shopping cart and [B]I feel something with some weight brush down my thigh and I hear a loud clunk on the tile floor!!!

My heart skips a beat or two, or three and I immediately start patting myself down and blindly start scanning the floor! At the same time, a little old lady behind me says... Excuse me sir... I think you dropped something!

Damn REMORA!!! I knew it! Who The Hell Buys a Damn Holster You Can't Attach to Your Belt? I'm such a

I don't even look at her... In a very quiet and sheepish little child voice, I utter the words... "Thank you ma'am." I then reach down and pick up my friggon cell phone! It appears I didn't secure the velcro flap over the end of the phone after calling my wife. Oops!

So I'm happy to report, the Remora is awesome! Comfortable, snug, and stays in place! Very well made.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I sentence you to 50 push-ups for false advertising in your thread title.

You made me read through that whole story...just to say the Remora is great?!

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

But I did have a Big Scare! Didn't you read where my heart stopped?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

So here I am googling away researching Remora holsters (as I literally just submitted an order for one) and I come across this thread and was also questioning my decision to buy a holster with no attachment point. So I read the whole thread thinking, well that was a waste of $40. Good show ol' chap. Figured I'd join to share that.
    ptco911 and Bark'n like this.

VIP Member
    Ya had me to the last line! I'm just glad you weren't around my Boy Scout campfires telling ghost stories.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Crap, now I've gotta go get mine out of the trash - hope it didn't land in that wad of gravy. You need a spankin'

Excellent post! I actually did have a little scare with my remora the other day, I went to the restroom and noticed that my mag was released in my FS M&P .40...if I would have drawn I would have exactly 1 shot before I'd go to slide lock as the mag would certainly fall to the ground...has never happened happened before and hasn't happened since but it made me a little leary.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Quote Originally Posted by wook View Post
    So here I am googling away researching Remora holsters (as I literally just submitted an order for one) and I come across this thread and was also questioning my decision to buy a holster with no attachment point. So I read the whole thread thinking, well that was a waste of $40. Good show ol' chap. Figured I'd join to share that.
    Welcome aboard buddy! Seriously, you've just stumbled onto the best gun forum on the internet. I do hope you stay and become an active member here! Great place to hang out. Lots of good info and family environment.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Glad I'm a speed reader.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Excellent post! I actually did have a little scare with my remora the other day, I went to the restroom and noticed that my mag was released in my FS M&P .40...if I would have drawn I would have exactly 1 shot before I'd go to slide lock as the mag would certainly fall to the ground...has never happened happened before and hasn't happened since but it made me a little leary.
    No you would get a bang and then a click,your gun is not gonna go to slidelock unless the magazine follower pushes it up,not sure about the M&P but some pistols may not drop the mag free without pushing in the mag release as it puts pressure on the mag.That is one reason for the tap rack bang drill
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What my dad used to call a Shaggy Dog Story... LOL thanks for the review/post I enjoyed the read.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I have a Remora and I had watched the videos that are available that truly hide nothing about how they work and whether they are any good or not for all kinds of clothes. I purchased because I do not wear belts--had enough of the belts, ties, suits for 40 years--don't own any anymore and it is only shorts and gym-type pants with drawstrings, which is what led me to the Remora. Personally, I do not consider it the holster of choice for the 24/7 crowd, which I am not--if you 24/7, you will also put up with a belt and a more secure way of CC. Cannot tell you at what point below 24/7, the Remora is good for but I do know one thing--if you tie or secure your shorts or gym pants securely and tight, that holster will not move. If anything, what I like is that I can move it around just enough when I am in my car so that the firearm is available under the seat belt constraints and is not "sticking me" in that sitting position.

VIP Member
    Bark'n - I'm still waiting for you to say "April fools" over the whole Remora thing.

I'm still scratching my head over that someone as knowledgeable as you, is playing around with a soft pocket holster for an IWB.
    Bark'n and DontTreadOnI like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Bark'n - I'm still waiting for you to say "April fools" over the whole Remora thing.

I'm still scratching my head over that someone as knowledgeable as you, is playing around with a soft pocket holster for an IWB.
    Well, to be honest... I'm still scratching my head too.

And here's the deal. It's never going to be my primary holster. My new M&P came with a pretty decent OWB Blade Tech holster. I am also deciding which primary holster I will get for it. Considering another Brommeland Max-Con IWB (Or Def-Con OWB), also considering a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro or the MTAC Minotaur.

So before I dropped some bucks on one of those, I thought I'd give the Remora a try. After reading all kinds of reviews of people playing basketball, pro-rodeo bronc busting and mixed martial arts competitions while wearing the Remora with nothing more than a pair of gym shorts I thought "Okay, I'll bite?" It's priced reasonably enough it won't sting as bad if it doesn't work out.

What I found is that it is extremely comfortable. Adequately secure. Not "bomb-proof" secure, but it definitely surprised me. And so far, the one holster fits my M&P FS, Glock-23 and the XD9sc. Not too bad in my opinion. One holster works with three completely different guns.

I live in a small rural town of only 3,000 people. For hanging around town, running errands, I have a pretty decent option for just shoving a holster in my waist band that is comfortable and secure for a full size fighting pistol.

Anyway, that's my story... and I'm sticking to it.

It's not going to be for everyone, and I definitely won't be using it as my main mode of carry. But it's nice to have some reasonable and affordable options. It satisfied my curiosity, and I was surprised at how well it works.
    Aceoky and invaderg1r like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Nice presentation. Had me going.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links