Anyone try the 5.11 thumb drive holster?

This is a discussion on Anyone try the 5.11 thumb drive holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen all the comments on the Serpa system both good and bad. Just wondering if anyone on here has tried the 5.11 Thumb ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: Anyone try the 5.11 thumb drive holster?

Anyone try the 5.11 thumb drive holster?

I have seen all the comments on the Serpa system both good and bad. Just wondering if anyone on here has tried the 5.11 Thumb Drive and can report? It seems similar to the Serpa but the release is on the thumb side of the weapon. I assume this makes it stick out farther from the hip/leg and limit its usefulness for CC.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    I have seen all the comments on the Sherpa system both good and bad. Just wondering if anyone on here has tried the 5.11 Thumb Drive and can report? It seems similar to the Sherpa but the release is on the thumb side of the weapon. I assume this makes it stick out farther from the hip/leg and limit its usefulness for CC.
    This guy got another holster confused with the thumb drive model, and had a real problem. I stay away from retention holsters all together for the purpose of concealed carry.
    I shot myself! Original Upload! - YouTube

sgb
    None of the retention holsters make good concealed carry choices. I checked out the 5.11 thumb drive but went with a Safariland ALS for when I need a retention holster.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'd give it a try if it came in PT-145.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Are you looking for a CC holster or just wondering about the 5.11?

After examining I went with an ALS. For cc it is currently remora or white hat.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This guy got another holster confused with the thumb drive model, and had a real problem. I stay away from retention holsters all together for the purpose of concealed carry.
    I shot myself! Original Upload! - YouTube
    That was a SERPA.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have the thumbdrive holster. I only use it when I open carry. I have been very happy with it.

I know it is not for CC I was thinking OC

I got one for my G-17 to mount under the dash of my Pick-up and it worked as advertised. I wanted something that would retain the pistol while driving on dirt roads but still be reasonably easy to access if needed. Have not used it for carry on a belt.

The thumb device on the 5.11 is HUGE. It screams for the bad guy to "press here" for my gun. The Safariland ALS is harder for the bad guy to see and activate, while still being fast for the user to get his weapon out.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have the thumbdrive holster. I use it for hiking, camping and hunting, OC of course. It replaced my Serpa. I would highly recommend it. It is also very modular because the different attachment options from Blade-Tech work with the Thumbdrive holster as well.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I bought a Thumb-Drive from the 5.11 site for my SIG P226; I want a retention holster for 3-Gun competitions, because there's nothing like dropping a lot of money on fees, hotel, and ammo and then going home early because your pistol goes free range as you are getting in or out of prone for a rifle string. (Hasn't happened to me—and I'd like to keep it that way!—but I have seen it happen to more than a few others...)

Anyway, I had to send it back because it it did not fit my railed (P226R Navy) competition gun. On the other hand, I did try it a bit with my older, non-railed P226, and I have to say I really liked it. By way of comparison, I also have a Safariland ALS for the P226, so I had two different thumb-latch retention systems to try. The Blade-Tech/5.11 Thumb-Drive seems far more natural to me, and it took no time getting used to. Mind you, I liked the ALS when I first got it, so there's nothing wrong with that system, either, but I thought the Thumb-Drive was an even better design.

I called Blade-Tech and found out that the rail compatibility was a known issue; this is part of the reason that Blade-Tech only sells the Glock models directly from their site, while 5.11 sells for several other models. The person with whom I spoke assured me a P220R/P226R model would be coming out early this year, and I have every intention of getting one of those.

Oh, and the Thumb-Drive comes with an optional hood that can cover the button, making it significantly harder for anyone other than the person wearing the holster to get to the release lever.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links