Shoulder rigs narrowed down to two choices, opinions welcomed

This is a discussion on Shoulder rigs narrowed down to two choices, opinions welcomed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've narrowed my search to 2 choices for shoulder rigs, 1. Alessi Bodyguard. #2. Galco Miami Classic. They both appear to be quality choices and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shoulder rigs narrowed down to two choices, opinions welcomed

Shoulder rigs narrowed down to two choices, opinions welcomed

I've narrowed my search to 2 choices for shoulder rigs, 1. Alessi Bodyguard. #2. Galco Miami Classic. They both appear to be quality choices and have a stellar reputation. I like the tie downs with the Galco system. I don't know if the Alessi rig has the options for tie downs. I may have to call and ask the question. I'd just thought I'd toss this question out and see if anyone has experience with the 2.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think the Miami Classic II is better than the Miami Classic. I got the tie downs, but they aren't necessary.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Just to throw another kink in the works, you might check out Andrews Leather's Monarch Rig.
    WD54241 and Toorop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I think the Miami Classic II is better than the Miami Classic. I got the tie downs, but they aren't necessary.
    I tried a few over the years until I found the Miami Classic...now I own two of them. Even though I have the tie downs I don't use them and the rigs balance well.

NOVALTY: Nice rig, do you have one? It's on the high end of what I wanted to spend.

Distinguished Member
    I have a High Noon "Under Armour". Great holster concealed very well under a jacket or sweatshirt. It is my preferred holster for caring my Glock 27 as a backup during colder months.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I own a Miami Classic II, but if I were buying a shoulder rig today it would be the Andrews. What are you carrying in the rig? I've found a thick gun feels like I have a football tucked under my arm, (Sig P229).

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I own a Miami Classic II, but if I were buying a shoulder rig today it would be the Andrews. What are you carrying in the rig? I've found a thick gun feels like I have a football tucked under my arm, (Sig P229).
    I'm currently with the XD family, if I can get the "Chairman of the Board" (Wife) to agree I'll pick up a 1911. I have a Galco Speed Paddle which I like very much and use at the 3:00. For driving, comfort and safety I've been checking shoulder rigs. I have to admit the Andrews looks super sweet it's at the top of my A-list thus far. The price is also at the top of the list as well. I'll have to be very creative with the finances to avoid with the wife!! But I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    NOVALTY: Nice rig, do you have one? It's on the high end of what I wanted to spend.
    I don't have a Monarch Rig from Andrews. Have admired his work for a long time, and every review I have read from owners of the Monarch shoulder holster, has been very favorable. I just purchased some very lightly used Andrew's leather, and received today. This is the first custom leather I have ever purchased. It is Andrews Wrap-id OWB holster and snap-on mag pouch for my S&W 1911. The leather quality and construction is excellent. Hoping it will work well for what I need it for.

After looking at galco, del fatti, alessi, rosen and more. I decided to go with and purchase the "monarch shoulder rig" from andrews leather.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Excellent choice, I'm envious and wish I had done the same. Definitely post up some pics when it arrives. What's the delivery time for a custom Monarch?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Excellent choice, I'm envious and wish I had done the same. Definitely post up some pics when it arrives. What's the delivery time for a custom Monarch?
    Will do! estimated delivery time some where tail end of March.

If you are thinking about getting a gun with DA/SA or DAO, take a look at Ken Null holsters and the shoulder holster model SMZ. It is a very concealable and fast holster to draw from. You don't have to mess with flipping a thumbsnap on the draw as it is automatically undone by the drawing motion. But it's not for cocked/locked SA or striker fired actions because of safety reasons. You do have to attach a strap to your belt on the opposite side which can be a consideration if wearing a very short jacket. I found it a great holster for business suit carry with medium sized semiautos and retains the gun securely.

K.L. Null Holsters Home Page

Still waiting, March is nearly here! I will be posting Pictures for those who are interested.

I've been watching for a pic and update. It's going to be sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links