OWB Holsters- Down to 5 choices!

This is a discussion on OWB Holsters- Down to 5 choices! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New poster looking for some opinions. I have "narrowed" my choices of OWB carry options to 5. I'm not sure who makes the best system, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OWB Holsters- Down to 5 choices!

OWB Holsters- Down to 5 choices!

New poster looking for some opinions.

I have "narrowed" my choices of OWB carry options to 5. I'm not sure who makes the best system, but I'm hoping to get some feedback.

I am not a overly large guy (6'1, 215) but I normally wear my shirts untucked (whether its XL T's or Tommy Bahama type shirts).

I will be carrying either a Glock 26 9mm or a Glock 32 .357 Sig..so either is not obnoxiously big.

The holsters I really like are Raven, X-Concealment, Cane and Derby, Secret City Weaponeers, and Garrett Industries.

Raven has finally gotten their act together and offered a quick ship option- and it seems to be the Kydex holster everyone talks about.
    X Concealment has gotten very, very good reviews and is supposedly ultra efficent at concealability because of its reduced size. The holsters also look the best appearance wise of anything in this group.
    Cane and Derby I haven't heard much about but have a couple guys at the range who swear by them.
    Secret City looks good..but they have no phone support, and say it takes one day to get a response by email..sorry, but as a business owner myself I find this is unacceptable..but the holsters DO look nice.
    Garrett also looks nice but again, real life info on them has been limited.

I'd like to hear some feedback on these if possible.

Thanks so much!

2. Remove Ads

I have recently started carrying a Kahr CW9 in either my Silent Thunder STX Champion OWB or my Silent Thunder IWB - LOVE THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Buffalo View Post
    I have recently started carrying a Kahr CW9 in either my Silent Thunder STX Champion OWB or my Silent Thunder IWB - LOVE THEM!
    Thanks for your feedback!

I really like the fact the STX is lined with leather- mainly because I don't know if the Kydex will "wear" the finish of the gun down?

I love the Raven.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Administrator
    Cane & Derby would be a great choice for a maker.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Cane & Derby would be a great choice for a maker.
    Agreed, just be aware that their advertised lead times may not be factual. Hopefully they've got their issues taken care of but for a couple months they were way behind.

I either pocket or OWB carry. For OWB any pancake holster conceals the best for me. You do not have to go with current cool or trendy holsters to find a good one. Some of my most concealable and comfortable are ebay specials although I have three drawers of the high prices big name ones that are mostly never used. If you want custom made there are several makers not as well known that put out a good custom holster for about $50.

This may sound strange to you, but Google it, but the Glock brand plastic holster that you can buy for less than $20 and $9 in my case, works very well as an OWB holster for a Glock 26/27 or 19/23. Better than anything else I bought. :)

You are down to all kydex OWB rigs.. do you participate in IDPA? I have no experience with any of these.

I prefer leather myself, just be mindful of hugs and bumping against hard objects. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Let me say one thing, kydex WILL wear out quickly with constant use, leather is almost forever.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you would consider looking at the forum sponsers that are holster makers before you make a final decision.

I have holsters from Side Guard and Hays Holsters that are both well made and reasonably priced.

I personally prefer leather for the long hall.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have a Garrett STX for a 4" 1911. The quality is excellent, the leather lining works very well to protect the pistols finish, is completely silent, very smooth on the draw and good retention. The holster stays where it belongs and I have used both the closed loops (pancake style) as well as the over the belt hooks (very quick on/off). The slide guard is well matched to the 1911 covering the thumb safety without being the obnoxious blob I have seen from some makers. After months of daily carry it doesn't show a single mark and I am a klutz banging into door frames, tables you name it and of course being hard Keydex outside it protects the gun. From the outside it says "I'm all business" yet stylish and sleek. A holster not unbecoming to an expensive pistol.

All in all a great combination of modern and old. It rides close and tight to the body at about mid height with what I consider just shy of The FBI rake. If it rode a little higher that wouldn't be a problem but with it's current ride height it could stand a few more degrees muzzle rear rake, this is a minor complaint. Reasonable to reach in the car and I never feel the need to check security during any but the most strenuous (flat out run, jump, climb) activities. Ordered on line with a follow up call a few days later to confirm how I oriented the double mag carrier. The lady I spoke with knew what she was talking about and very courteous, the kind of people you have no problem giving your hard earned money to. IIRC from date of order to my mailbox was just under 3 weeks. A good buying experience netting a most satisfactory holster as to quality and very accurate to the advertising claims.

**Please take note the following is "my" personal statement on the holster and not the quality/fitness for duty of the product. But if not presented it would be less than genuine cometary.**

However, after 6 months I have given up on this holster and it has retired to "the drawer". For one reason only...I carry at 3:30-4:00 and I simply can't get used to the rigidity of the Keydex. I have carried for many years now much of the time IWB with good leather holsters that conformed to my body in a few days at most and often in a few hours...not so the STX...it is a harsh master.
    As a "take along" range holster or if I knew I would be outside actively on my feet all day it will get serious consideration if not the nod. But for my overall life/carry style it's back to leather.

As an after thought this is my second Keydex holster the first being an IWB for a G27 and an even worse experience as to comfort and as it was an unlined holster started to ware the finish almost immediately. Again back to leather.
    Last edited by jem102; January 24th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I have a Garrett STX for a 4" 1911. The quality is excellent, the leather lining works very well to protect the pistols finish, is completely silent, very smooth on the draw and good retention. The holster stays where it belongs and I have used both the closed loops (pancake style) as well as the over the belt hooks (very quick on/off). The slide guard is well matched to the 1911 covering the thumb safety without being the obnoxious blob I have seen from some makers. After months of daily carry it doesn't show a single mark and I am a klutz banging into door frames, tables you name it and of course being hard Keydex outside it protects the gun. From the outside it says "I'm all business" yet stylish and sleek. A holster not unbecoming to an expensive pistol.

All in all a great combination of modern and old. It rides close and tight to the body at about mid height with what I consider just shy of The FBI rake. If it rode a little higher that wouldn't be a problem but with it's current ride height it could stand a few more degrees muzzle rear rake, this is a minor complaint. Reasonable to reach in the car and I never feel the need to check security during any but the most strenuous (flat out run, jump, climb) activities. Ordered on line with a follow up call a few days later to confirm how I oriented the double mag carrier. The lady I spoke with knew what she was talking about and very courteous, the kind of people you have no problem giving your hard earned money to. IIRC from date of order to my mailbox was just under 3 weeks. A good buying experience netting a most satisfactory holster as to quality and very accurate to the advertising claims.

**Please take note the following is "my" personal statement on the holster and not the quality/fitness for duty of the product. But if I did not presented it would be less than genuine cometary.**

However, after 6 months I have given up on this holster and it has retired to "the drawer". For one reason only...I carry at 3:30-4:00 and I simply can't get used to the rigidity of the Keydex. I have carried for many years now much of the time IWB with good leather holsters that conformed to my body in a few days at most and often in a few hours...not so the STX...it is a harsh master.
    As a "take along" range holster or if I knew I would be outside actively on my feet all day it will get serious consideration if not the nod. But for my overall life/carry style it's back to leather.

As an after thought this is my second Keydex holster the first being an IWB for a G27 and an even worse experience as to comfort and as it was an unlined holster started to ware the finish almost immediately. Again back to leather.

I appreciate the in depth comment.

I have wondered about the flexibility/comfort of the Kydex..I actually ended up looking at Kydex because of the OVERWHELMING number of leather holster makers out there. I simply don't know where to start with a leather holster.

The only thing I do know is I want a good holster, that rides high, OWB, and has a good reputation.

I stumbled upon a consignment Kimber Ultra RCP II last night, brand new in the box and may buy it and use for my CC weapon of choice.

So I am kinda back at square one.

I know it not on your list but the Fist #12 basic is the way to go hands down.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I know it not on your list but the Fist #12 basic is the way to go hands down.
    Wow..very nice!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've carried my Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim AIWB and Sig P229 every day since it arrived in early Dec. except for three days I carried a 1911. I have quite a few choices in holsters for my Sig, but the GI has quickly become my go to rig with this gun. I also own a Raven type holster from a different manufacturer, (Personal Security Systems), very well made and comfortable, but the Garret rig has taken it's place due to sheer preference.

Garrett Industries had the Slim AIWB built and at my door within two weeks as well. Very fast service, functional, comfortable and secure design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links