Pocket carry in cargo/tactical pants

This is a discussion on Pocket carry in cargo/tactical pants within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three questions.... (1) If I were going to pocket carry, it strikes me that carrying in the side-of-thigh pocket on a pair of cargo/tactical pants ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Thunder71
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By JDE101
  • 1 Post By Hill Country

Thread: Pocket carry in cargo/tactical pants

Pocket carry in cargo/tactical pants

Three questions....
    (1) If I were going to pocket carry, it strikes me that carrying in the side-of-thigh pocket on a pair of cargo/tactical pants would be a good option, principally for reasons of comfort and ease-of-access to the firearm. Is this a good assumption?
    (2) I've never owned a pair of "tactical pants" (or cargo pants for that matter). Are tactical pants just cargo pants positioned as somehow "defense" related, or is there something specific about tactical pants that makes them that?
    (3) Do you have any recommendations regarding both (a) features and (b) brands of cargo/tactical pants that I should either seek or stay away from for reasons of pocket carry?
    Thank in advance,
    HBC

2. Remove Ads

I personally think cargo pockets suck for carry, way too much room for the gun to move around and slap against your leg to top it off. Plus, unless you button the pockets (or zip) there's a decent chance the gun could just fall out - you also never know which end of the gun is facing up since there's enough room for it to 'roll' around.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    A pocket holster keeps the gun from rolling around and you can get one for $14-25. My pocket holster also protects the trigger which I find to be critical. I prefer my cargos for pocket carrying my beretta nano. The pockets have more room, makes drawing quicker. I can carry the gun in my jeans and khaki's, but it is slower to draw. When I pocket carry in pants, I carry in my right hand front pocket. I rarely use the lower pockets for anything because whatever is in them moves around too much. I do not have any tactical pants.

VIP Member
    With very limited experience with cargo pants, as I'm a jeans guy, I'd suggest that if you use cargo pants for carry, keep it in the top pocket and put the other stuff in the cargo pocket. The cargo pockets tend to be a little hard to reach (too low) and the flap -even in Velcro-- takes time to open before you can draw.

Just my opinion, the only way I'd use the cargo pocket for carrying a weapon is for a second gun. I think most folks are far better off with a small gun they can easily pocket carry or easily IWB.

Keep in mind that make and style of pants affect everything. I've had loose jeans I could put anything in, and jeans that were tight and had smaller pockets and couldn't carry in the pockets. The same will apply to the upper pocket of cargo pants.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Side of thigh pocket in a pair of cargo pants wouldn't work for me for all the reasons posted by Thunder71 in post #2. In addition to those reasons it's just inconvenient access for getting that gun into service if you need it in a hurry.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    LA Police Gear 5.11 Tactical, Galco, Maxpedition, Converse, Bates, Danner, Surefire and Blackhawk

This site has some of the best prices on tactical pants. 5.11 or their own LA police gear brand are good quality for the money. I wear this style pants often and have several pairs that I have worn for many years. I find them far more comfortable and practical than jeans.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I'm retired, so I wear Levis, 5.11 cargo pants, or cargo shorts in the summer, about 99.9% of the time. I generally carry a full size 1911 in either an OWB or IWB holster. However, when I carry my S&W 642, either as a BUG or as a primary when wearing cargo shorts, I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and I carry it in either the right (as primary) or left (as BUG) front pocket. If you want to know why, be sure your gun is empty, put it in a pocket holster, put it in a cargo pocket, and run or jog about 25 yards. That will explain everything. Even walking gets to be a pain with a gun in a cargo pocket bouncing against the side of your leg. Plus, in a buttoned cargo pocket it is much harder to get to.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I wore 5.11 for a good while but now I wear Vertx. I love the way the pockets are cut I carry a p11 in a pocket holster in my front pocket. They are a bit less tactical looking than the 5.11s because the pocket are so flat. JMHO YMMV

Columbia Men's Cliff Lakes Cargo Short - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

These shorts are awesome for pocket carry. Deep pockets and a separate pocket for keys

I had Robert MIKA make me a pocket holster to the measurements of my cargo shorts pocket. The gun is low when standing but is great when seated or driving. I highly recommend Mika holsters.
    SWENSON BOBCAT .45, SWENSON COMBAT COMMANDER .45 (built for me by Armand), TUSSEY JR KIMBER RCP .45, S&W 37(PERUVIAN PIP)
    US ARMY 1959-1965
    USAR 1975
    NRA LIFE ENDOWMENT

Thanks, all, for your great insights/advice. It's much appreciated.

I wear cargo pants, 5 or 6 days a week.

I do as Hopyard suggested, put your pistol in the regular pocket and all the other stuff in the cargo pocket.

The only time that I can see that using the cargo pocket would be advantageous, would be while driving. Otherwise, the cargo pocket is way too low to be of any immediate use. Not to mention, they usually have some kind of flap that would have to be dealt with prior to weapon presentation.

One of the advantages to pocket carry is the ability to have your hand in your pocket, while gripping your weapon. This is easily done and gives quite an element of surprise. Try doing that with your hand in your cargo pocket. Unless your name is Quasimodo, it's gonna be difficult to pull off.

Additionally, there are going to be times when you're wearing regular pants. Then your mindset has to change, you gotta think: "hip pocket today, cargo pocket tomorrow".

KISS applies. Run your pocket pistol in your regular pocket.

ETA: cargo pocket carry would be a good idea for a secondary weapon, I think
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I spend much of my time seated in either an office chair or pickup truck and find cargo pocket carry by far the most comfortable and weapon access is superior to either front pocket or IWB.

The Tru-Spec 24/7 shorts and long pants both have an M16 size mag pocket inside the cargo pocket which is just the right size for most weapons in a floppy, no-name pocket holster. Even without the velcro on the flap, I don't worry about retention. I find that the pocket holster provides just the right amount of padding as well as secures the weapon. I can walk or even run without getting beaten up by the pistol.

FWIW, the Tru-Spec's are well made and comfortable. The elastic waistband also lends itself to IWB carry and a J frame easily fits either a front or rear pocket.
    hieu nguyen likes this.

I'm looking at the mentioned-apparel websites now. Thanks for the suggestions.

I do not understand many things pants, I usually wear personal Propper Poly / Cotton Twill BDU Pants I wear casual, Khaki color good quality, comfortable,
    Thanks You and God Bless You DefensiveCarry.com

Links