Best Option for carrying while exercising IE: walking, running, working out

This is a discussion on Best Option for carrying while exercising IE: walking, running, working out within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, Ive come to the conclusion that Im tired of being as fluffy as I am. I am going to start walking in the evening, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Best Option for carrying while exercising IE: walking, running, working out

Best Option for carrying while exercising IE: walking, running, working out

OK, Ive come to the conclusion that Im tired of being as fluffy as I am. I am going to start walking in the evening, and hit the gym a couple of times a week. I am wondering what you guys that CC while working out are using as a weapon/holster combo. I travel quite a bit for work, and I dont know the "safe" places to walk in each of the towns I go to, hence wanting to CC while exercising.

I currently CC my XDm .40 in a Remora, but its a bit bulky for shorts or sweats. Looking to go smaller and need holster options.

Thanks DC family!
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Not sure what can get you smaller than a Remora holster since they are just like a second skin for your pistol anyway. Go with a smaller pistol and holster? You asked for holster options with what you have? If you go smaller with pistol, I'd still recommend a Remora hoster for it! Pepper spray only needs a pocket in the shorts.....if you're creative enough, you won't even need a pocket. JMO.

Check out the Tactipac Fusionpac, there are no clips to worry about. Watch the video for the Fusionpac at www.tactipac.com , just click on Fusionpac at the bottom of the screen. I almost ordered one but decided to go with the n82 Pro instead.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

I have used thunderwear on jogs before and it worked well. Lately when I go for a run, I use a fannypac by 5.11. It zippers closed with a strip of velcro for the release tab. It hasn't popped open on me yet. And I keep a fairly descent pace of 6-7 minute miles on shorter runs and 8-9 minute miles on longer runs.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Go on the Pistol Wear web site...............love this set up........

i just bought an lcp yesterday. i am leaving next week to another state staying in a hotel for 4 months for work so i wanted to be protected during running around a new town. i just have a blackhawk pocket holster for it now but i plan on getting a belly band. but the pocket holster works well.

VIP Member
    Pocket carry when walking.

I don't have the ccw at the gym, instead, I carry a good knife.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Go on the Pistol Wear web site...............love this set up........
    +1 I use one of these holsters almost every day.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Runner's Kit Bag is a good chest carry option. They also have the Raven Vanguard trigger guard cover, which leaves your weapon ready to fire when you pull it from the bag.
    http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...5/Default.aspx
    semperfi.45 likes this.

My keltec p3at can be worn IWB even while running without bouncing out...Just a cheap uncle mikes holster. Pepper spray might be a good option.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

When walking I'll usually downgrade to a sub-compact pistol (My Taurus TCP 732) and carry pepper spray in the palm of my hand. That way I have a means of immediate response already concealed in the palm of my hand, as well as something a bit more lethal hidden away.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Working out is about the only time you won't look foolish with a fannypack.
    NY27 likes this.

I can't comment on what to carry at the gym because I work out in a pool. A gun just doesn't carry well in my speedo. However, when I bike, I carry my 1911 in a Miami Classic Shoulder Holster or a military styled Tanker holster.

When I walk or run I carry my 1911 in a SOB holster from JRC Holsters or in a Don Hume IWB clip holster tucked into a good jock strap and tight compression shorts. Both work very well while jogging or walking.

Gun weight would be the greatest factor. I use a Seecamp LWS in .32. Could not find one in .380. The heavier the gun, the more it will bounce/flop around if running. Magnified the faster you run or have to jump. Kind of annoying if a lot. As an extreme example, I once had a 4" S&W N-frame .41Mag in an upside down Safariland shoulder holster. Was in the woods and did a short sprint. The inertia of the gun weight caused it to come out of the holster and on the ground (that holster got retired that day).

A Ruger .380 LCP with good ammo might be a choice.

Here's a comparision chart of small carry guns (courtesy of Seecamp's web site): https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...3ZDlm&hl=en_US

PM
    I have walked with a PT111 in the pocket. I would also carry the same gun IWB walking. I also carry a wallking stick and have a big black lab mix with me when I walk. Running is not done and I did not carry in the gym.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links