question about SP101 CCW

This is a discussion on question about SP101 CCW within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a wonderful new sp101 3 inch with the hogue rubber grips. Shoots, looks, and feels great. I have a silver dollar pancake holster ...

Thread: question about SP101 CCW

question about SP101 CCW

I've got a wonderful new sp101 3 inch with the hogue rubber grips. Shoots, looks, and feels great. I have a silver dollar pancake holster from simply rugged, and it is comfortable, secure, and I actually prefer this simple style as far as looks are concerned. However, I have a question about carrying the sp101. Whenever I sit down, I've noticed that the grip just extends straight back, and it is painfully (almost unbelievably) obvious to any casual observer that something odd is going on with my clothes. I know that I can get a boot grip to help with this, but is this something that the sp101 guys out there have to deal with? Or can I change something in my carry style. I go with 3:30 to 4:00 position, and I use the (standard, I think) forward cant loops for the silver dollar. I'm curious how much boot grips would solve this. I'll try to get some pics in the future. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

My 3" SP101 rides in this... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm ...and I have no difficulties with concealment.
    It rides close to the body and is easily concealed under a summer T-shirt...nothing sticks out.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 4th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry my 2" version AIWB.

Don't have to worry about printing now
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Changeing the grip may help with your problem. I prefer to use either the stock SP101 grip or the Pachmyr Compac. Either will conceal better than the Hogue. Your Silver Dollar is a good holster choice for concealed carry. Here's a pic of my SP101 with the Pachmyr Compac grip in a SR Silver Dollar.
    Attached Images

I carry a 2.25 bobbed hammer sp101 every day in a Don Hume jit rig, works well with compac grips.

I have the stock grips on my 2.2 inch SP. I will move the pistol closer to 3 o'clock position to keep the grip hidden.

The Pachmayr Compac grips willl help. They are great on an SP-101.

One thing to consider... YOU know what the thing is sticking out or "printing." A casual observer, even IF they notice, has no clue what is causing your printing.

I just got my IWB hoslter for my SP101 .327 from Bear River and it keeps everything nice and tidy. Yes the end of the grip will stick out if I bend over, but I think you would be hard pressed to find anything that will conceal fully in a bent over position carrying around 4:00. I do have the Hogue grip on both my sp101 pistols and I will trade a little printing for a more comfortable purchase while pulling the trigger.

Might want to try pushing your holster to 2:30 and see how it works. If I'm sitting or moving around and really don't want to print I push mine forward. Works out well.

The longer Hogue handle catches my shirt often. I've become practiced at naturally pulling my shirt down and turning away from others while getting up etc over the years.

Thanks for the recs

I wear mine in a Galco pancake leather thumbreak, OWB holster. I really like it, rides high and tight; it does however stick the grip out when bending over at the waist. I'm just conscious of it and avoid doing that.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Squatting works better than bending over. Good for your back too!

Links