Comp-Tac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck - Page 2

Comp-Tac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck

This is a discussion on Comp-Tac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have both the CBST Delux and the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC for my true-EDC, a XDm9 3.8 Compact. Neither of these holsters are my primary ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comp-Tac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I have both the CBST Delux and the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC for my true-EDC, a XDm9 3.8 Compact.

Neither of these holsters are my primary holster: I use them only when I need to further "thin" my carry profile, to thin down that bulge at my side (I carry, exclusively, IWB at my 3'o-clock). Both of these holsters are set up to mimic my primary carry holster, in terms of angle/draw.

The debate between the CBST and the MTAC is an eternal one. What it comes down to, in the end, is often personal-preference.

For me, of the two, I prefer the MTAC because it's got a "closed" muzzle. This arguably produces less wear on your clothes (plastic versus metal), but also serves to both better protect the front sight as well as keep the gun from being displaced from-retention when you bump the muzzle into something (the most oft-cited "dislodging" item is furniture, specifically, seating: the armrest of everyday chairs or the side bolsters of car seats). I'm personally not so concerned with the former, as I rarely carry in either of these two holsters, but I have a problem with my car's seat, with the latter.

For me, the CBST is "faster," though, and the way I have it set up, it presents the least carry profile.

Shielded Holsters - Custom Handcrafted Holsters

I just got the Double Phalanx for my 24/7c. it took 3 days from order until I had it in my hands. So far it's very comfortable and the quality is great!

I've used CBST for a few years, and they are the most comfortable IWB I wear. I even got a LEO friend of mine to dump his longtime IWB for a CBST after wearing my 1911 rig for a few hours. After they break in to your body, they disappear. I am sure these two holsters are very similar, so you really can't go wrong.
    Another company to look at is American Holster Company. They make a CBST-type holster, but all leather. I have one, and it goes into carry rotation. Nice product as well. American Holster Company | Home of the Invisi-Tuck Concealed Carry Holster.
    Good luck with your decision.

Of the two Hybrid's you mentioned I bought the MTAC because I was able to look at one in person and liked the quality of it, plus it was available with the inconspicuous C-clips which I wanted since I wear a tucked in shirt a lot of the time. Like others have mentioned, there are many many different makers of the this Hybrid style of holster, all are most likely pretty close in comfort...pick your poison.

I have used the CBST for about 3 years now and consider it to be a very comfortable holster, however, I personally found it to be much larger than it needed to be. I ended up cutting off a large amount of excess leather. This is partly because I have a 30" waist. I image that the large amount of leather makes for even weight distribution which contributes to the comfort. I am happy with my modified CB but am planning to buy the MTAC anyway. I agree with above comments that, either way, you will get a great holster! I like the MTAC's ability to switch kydex shells for different guns and it has a cleaner overall fit-n-finish. Good luck!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

30" waist - oh please :)

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar

I like the closed muzzle-end design of the M-Tac.
    I also like the plastic clips better than those thin metal ones (sharp edges scratch my belt)
    and....I can change kydex bodies and keep the leather backing.
    And...order times are only a few days with M-Tac holsters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links