Kydex Holster issue - Damage to gun

This is a discussion on Kydex Holster issue - Damage to gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Holster wear is inevitable on a rig that gets carried / trained with / used as it should. I personally favor leather holsters though I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kydex Holster issue - Damage to gun

Holster wear is inevitable on a rig that gets carried / trained with / used as it should. I personally favor leather holsters though I also have a couple of hybrids as well, and all of the holsters, regardless of material wear on the guns at the contact points. I try not to worry about holster wear as there are certainly worse things that could happen to a carry gun in the even that it had to be used in a self-defense situation (i.e. having to drop it on the concrete when the boys in blue show-up, etc).

Now, in all fairness, I have to admit that I don't carry my p220 as much as my glocks for the reasons that have been discussed throughout this thread. It serves more as a bedside gun than a carry gun.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I got a stainless 1911 for that reason, but I can't imagine carrying it in Kydex. Leather for me all the way.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

CJM
    After using both leather and kydex, with both Glocks and SIG's, out of the two, I believe leather to be more "abrasive" to a guns finish, for lack of a better word.

To be honest though, holster wear is to expected, and is not something I'm concerned about. I focus on keeping my gun clean, lubed properly, and in good working order. My SIG has been in and out of kydex everyday for 8 months and the finish still looks great. When it does start to show wear, I'll holster up anyway and go about my business as usual.

All holsters will wear the finish on your gun. I make and sell leather and Kydex holsters and have found that they just weak differently. Kydex wears the finish on the corners of the gun pretty fast, but then tends to stop. Leather wears the flats more and does it over time. That said, I don't know which finish you have on your Kimber, but the black kimber cote or, whatever they call it, is pretty soft. Mine wore pretty fast in leather.

I think at this point, the OP understands holster wear with all the informative answers.

So let talk about less holster wear or a way to minimize it. In the testing we have done thru the years with kydex and leather, you will never get rid of holster wear.

Kydex is an aggressive material compared to leather. There is no "give" with it at all. Questions

Kydex is a good material for some applications and others it fails. It all depends what you need to get done and in this case its not doing the job "you" want.

Leather is real Questions

A leather lined holster or just a leather holster will minimize wear on the guns finish. Lining

Hope This Helps

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I posted earlier in this thread, and I maintain my outlook on "safe-queens" (nothing wrong with that) versus "work" guns. The latter will incur wear, no matter what kind of holster it's in:

Here's my XDm9 after 6 days of Costa's Handgun Employment classes earlier this summer (HE01 and HE02) -

^ She spent five of those 6 days in a Raven Concealment Phantom OWB, a Kydex rig. I don't have a pic of my 3.8 Compact (also an XDm9), which was housed in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro, IWB, which I used for the third day of HE01. It's got a stainless slide, and it was IWB, under my T-shirt - exactly like how I carry every day. Even with the shirt covering the holster, ground-work still led to sand and rocks getting in, so it also got scratched up a bit.

And here's my friend Quack's Harrison 2011, which was housed in a Blade-Tech "plastic" holster, after three days (HE01) -

No big deal - these guns are "working guns," for us.

The patina gives them character.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links