Kydex Holster issue - Damage to gun

This is a discussion on Kydex Holster issue - Damage to gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Kimber Pre Elite 4" 1911. I've recently been experimenting with a couple of different holsters, trying to find the best fit for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kydex Holster issue - Damage to gun

I carry a Kimber Pre Elite 4" 1911. I've recently been experimenting with a couple of different holsters, trying to find the best fit for myself. I found a Comp-tac kydex IWB for 1/2 price from my LGS. As i have been carrying around the house for less than an hour, and with some draw practice. The kydex has begun to wear the black from my slide on the Kimber.

This is an issue for me because i'm very OCD about cleaning my weapons and making sure that they are in perfect working order as well as looking sharp.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this just a cost of carrying in Kydex? Does it matter, other than causing some character to the weapon?

Thanks for your responses.

Big Red
    BIGRED1911
    Kimber ProElite Ruger P345 Ruger P95DC Beretta Cheetah 85FS

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    some holster wear is a fact of life. most evident along the break lines of the gun.
    off chance the holster was not finished as well as possible--something you can polish out perhaps

stainless shows it the least
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Kydes and suede.

Bare Kydex will wear the blue off a pistol quite quickly, as you've seen. That's why the Rogers-then-Safariland holsters had/have a suede lining! Rogers glued them in place, then trimmed them after molding; Safari glues and stitches. Kydex holsters first appeared ca. 1970 in a holster known as the Snic!, with retention at either the trigger guard or the ejection port, as preferred.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Part of the game. They all wear, but many say kydex wears faster.

Holster wear on a sidearm is a fact of life. Safe queens stay pretty, 'real' guns show the badge of use. FWIW, stainless guns don't show the wear as obviously as other finishes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Kydex has lead to excessive finish wear on my Glock. I always used lined leather holsters until about two years ago without any noticeable holster wear. After switching to Kydex I started noticing wear pretty quickly.

I haven't a noticed a significant change in finish wear rate between kydex and leather. Bottom line: If you want the perfect finish on your gun, keep it in the safe. If you want to carry a gun, expect some wear on the finish. It's a fact of life.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    A carry gun is a tool. It is expected to show wear.

Show me a carry gun in pristine condition, and I'll show you an owner who neither carries nor practices often.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others have said, holster-wear is inevitable.

If you carry it or train with it (from out of the holster, of-course), then the gun will see holster wear.

That patina is highly coveted among those of us who put our pistols to work:

Ed Brown Special Forces at 20k Rounds!!

"Excessive," though, could be something wrong with the holster (either it's not made properly or that it has captured some kind of dirt/grit that's causing it to wear in that specific area), or something could be wrong with the finish on the firearm.

There's nothing wrong with a gun being a safe/range-queen. You just can't expect a daily-beater to not show wear.

To-wit, if I were to keep one of my guns as a "safe gun," and train only in terms of picking it up out of the safe/off the shooting bench in front of me, I guess it would be possible that it would have a pristine finish (as long as I were careful about my wedding band dinging up the slide or frame). But if you're going to work out of your holster, unless it's made out of baby-butt , you're going to see wear on the gun, eventually.

Wow.... You've only wore it for less than an hour with some practice draws and it's already showing wear? I've been wearing a Comp-Tac MTAC for almost 2 years with my M&P with no signs of wear. Is the inside of the holster full of dirt? Cheap blue job on the Kimber?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed1911 View Post
    I carry a Kimber Pre Elite 4" 1911. I've recently been experimenting with a couple of different holsters, trying to find the best fit for myself. I found a Comp-tac kydex IWB for 1/2 price from my LGS. As i have been carrying around the house for less than an hour, and with some draw practice. The kydex has begun to wear the black from my slide on the Kimber.

This is an issue for me because i'm very OCD about cleaning my weapons and making sure that they are in perfect working order as well as looking sharp.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this just a cost of carrying in Kydex? Does it matter, other than causing some character to the weapon?

Thanks for your responses.

Big Red
    Well, since you're OCD about your weapons "looking sharp," I suggest never putting any of them in a holster if you plan on taking it out of the holster.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Yes, I bought a kydex holster sometime back and returned right away after I noticed marks on my Glock's slide.

I glued calf skin to the inside of my M-Tec to keep it from marking my Sig too much. My glock rode in leather 14 years and had very little marking. Once it hit the Kydex, wear became very noticable.

Steel, wood and leather. There is no other way grasshopper...
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Huh. The only wear on the kydex side my carry ever got was when grit (sand) got inside my holster from work. The leather side however, trashed the frame and rust became an issue. I'd say that you need to either adjust your tension, reform the kydex a bit, or get a better finish on your pistol.

Kydex side - The vertical line at the muzzle (slide) was from my first CBST. I made my own shell after I saw that. The rest of the marring is from grit in the holster. This is after 5 years of 15x7 carrying IWB, and 4 years of IDPA matches, I'm no office dwelling desk jockey either.

Leather side.

I just got her back from being hard chromed, satin finished. Her days of going to work with me are over. Forced retirement. Too visible if I have a wardrobe malfunction.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links