Made my first holster, hybrid beltslide

This is a discussion on Made my first holster, hybrid beltslide within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We bought one of these for my wife's XD. I really liked the simplicity and how the holster rides really snug to the side. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made my first holster, hybrid beltslide

We bought one of these for my wife's XD. I really liked the simplicity and how the holster rides really snug to the side. I'm pretty handy so I've considered making one for a while. Well, I had a bit of money sitting around and my wife's new CW9 needs something to ride in. So I decided to go for it. For the price of one holster I bought enough material to make 4 or 5.

It's definitely a learning experience. For those with experience working kydex, it looks like I may have overbaked this. No biggie. My press was some foam I had around the house, a cutting board, and my substantial rear end sitting on it. The Chicago screws are a size too big. I knew it would be close, but it's not close enough. A washer and lock nut fixed that for now. I think I'll order some black leather finish to sharpen this up a bit. The leather is just some scrap pieces off of amazon and I had to glue 2 together to get the stiffness I wanted. But hey, it's the first one. I now have a perfectly functional holster for about $10. Hopefully the Mrs. will like it, and carry it. I'll be making a couple more in the next few weeks. I think I'll buy a heat gun tomorrow to help work out some kinks and ease up on the retention. There may be a press getting made in the near future. I can see this being addictive.

Me wearing my not so pretty, but really snug new holster.

Top view

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Not to bad for your first time...

nice!
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good start. keep us in the loop with progress

i like to work (or re-work existing things) mostly with leather.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

On the right track. Advice: always give your holster knuckle clearance (remove all the area marked '2' so re-grasping the pistol isn't necessary after the draw), always clear the mag button both sides (remove all the area at '1' so the mag doesn't pop loose and fail to feed the next round after the first shot), always ensure the holster can't interfere with the trigger (bang!). From the files of seen-it-all. Pic attached.

IMG_0175.jpg
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    On the right track. Advice: always give your holster knuckle clearance (remove all the area marked '2' so re-grasping the pistol isn't necessary after the draw), always clear the mag button both sides (remove all the area at '1' so the mag doesn't pop loose and fail to feed the next round after the first shot), always ensure the holster can't interfere with the trigger (bang!). From the files of seen-it-all. Pic attached.

IMG_0175.jpg
    The advice is much appreciated. I loosened the area around the trigger and the chamber to lessen the retention. I noticed the #2 issue pretty quick but have not gotten back to that. I'll do that here soon. For # 1 the mag release is not ambi, but that will likely come off some with #2. Definitely stuff to keep in mind in the future. I'd rather learn from someone else's BTDT than from mine. It'll give me an excuse to play with the new heat gun more. lol

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    For # 1 the mag release is not ambi, but that will likely come off some with #2. lol
    It's a good habit to get into, clearing the mag button on both sides; because one day that pattern may end up serving as a left-hand for a friend, perhaps. You'll see the natural combining of the knuckle clearance and mag button clearance on my pancake holster that serves as my avatar (at left): the entire hand can grasp the pistol without contacting the leather anywhere.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

It's a good habit to get into, clearing the mag button on both sides; because one day that pattern may end up serving as a left-hand for a friend, perhaps. You'll see the natural combining of the knuckle clearance and mag button clearance on my pancake holster that serves as my avatar (at left): the entire hand can grasp the pistol without contacting the leather anywhere.
    One of the issues I am running into is that my wife wanted the sweat shield. She DOES NOT like anything cold touching her skin. I'm hoping she will just get more used to it not being perfectly comfortable. But the shield makes it tougher. I may be able to run a higher shield and move the kydex up to get a similar effect.

Upgrades made today. This is why I went with Chicago screws. Take it apart and tweak it. Black leather dye and trimmed the trigger area for a better combat grip as well as eased up on the retention around the chamber and trigger area. The heat gun is fun.

Almost

Excellent; now clear the other side, too, where the mag button IS. You'll also get a better grasp of the pistol.

Not to belabor the point, but if anyone here is familiar with the old GI holster (M1916), that slab stitched inside the holster is a bit of wood covered with leather, and its sole purpose is to keep the holster from contacting the mag button (no, it's not a cocking /jacking shelf).
    Red (Richard) Nichols

The other side is what I'm trying to wrap my head around. There's only so much room. I could simply cut it out. But I may need to rework the screw closest to the trigger. Trying to figure out how to get it done without it looking terrible. I put it back together before I left for work. Can't quit the night job.

Very cool Chief. Nice looking rig for your first attempt. Awesome input from Red. Nice having you on board with us here Red.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The other side is what I'm trying to wrap my head around. There's only so much room. I could simply cut it out. But I may need to rework the screw closest to the trigger. Trying to figure out how to get it done without it looking terrible.
    It should be this easy:

IMG_0178.jpg

The "X" marks the indent where your mag button has left a mark in the leather.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

It should be this easy:

IMG_0178.jpg

The "X" marks the indent where your mag button has left a mark in the leather.
    Yeah, but the artist in me screams "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" because of the lack of symmetry. If I can't come up with a better plan I may just do that. Of course, this is my wife's holster she may not care. It's hard to get into a tactical discussion about combat grips with her. I'm just glad she carries the Kahr more. I've got #2 finishing up. We'll see how that works out. The drawback of having one ride very tight is it makes it harder to get that solid grip too.

Yeah, but the artist in me screams "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" because of the lack of symmetry.
    If by "symmetry" you mean making the alteration smooth and attractive, that comes under the heading of "styling"; that's your job -- and one that you handled well with your alteration of the holster pocket.

To me, as a designer, "symmetry" isn't a word for smooth lines, it's a word for one side being like another. In that case, a lack of symmetry IS holster design, and is the best indicator of a purposeful design.

"Styling" is one of the principal distinctions between an industrial designer, which I am; and an engineer, which I am not. An engineer can make it work but won't necessarily know how to make it attractive; one might call his results "workmanlike". A designer can make it work, then makes it so handsome that, once you've picked it up, you don't want to set it down. As a consulting designer to holster makers I learned never to show a client a work-in-progress (scares 'em); and that when I presented the finished product and the client couldn't put it down, I had succeeded.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links