Carry Options for Athletic Attire

This is a discussion on Carry Options for Athletic Attire within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. I am waiting on my CCW permit to come in and in the mean time I have been carrying around my house in ...

Thread: Carry Options for Athletic Attire

Hey all. I am waiting on my CCW permit to come in and in the mean time I have been carrying around my house in my IWB CTAC holster. I have a G19. It's great when I am wearing pants/shorts and a belt.

My question is: Is there any good holster for either inner or outer waist band carry that I could wear with athletic shorts or workout pants? Maybe a paddle of some type?

I know about the Smartcarry and other similar waistband types and I am not interested in those. I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with a holster in athletic gear.

I ask this, b/c most of the time I'm around the house, I am in either shorts or workout pants, b/c they are comfy. Also, if I am doing housework or work in the garage, I put on crappy clothes that usually don't have belt loops in them, but it would be nice to carry also. Especially, since I tend to make trips to Auto stores or Home Depot stores in these clothes.

I am not really expecting anything, seeing as how the waistband isn't strong enough to hold a gun properly, but I wanted to see if maybe I missed something and to see what other people in similar situations have done.
    It's not polite to call people name's, you idiot!

Might be tough with an elastic waistband and probably not the "safest" way to carry (sagging factor). I think you will find that your choice in clothing will evolve the more you carry. Good Luck!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

An elastic band won't hold up a gun unless the gun is a keltec with a carry clip or whatever it's called.
    You could try a paddle holster, but I can almost gurantee it won't work.
    Why are you against smart carry? It's actually a good option for what you describe.

I don't personally like the Smart Carry system. For me, it isn't something that appeals to me. Like green beans or bell peppers, it just isn't my thing.

I did get a tip about putting on a gun belt under my shorts and then attaching my holster to that. I think that is a pretty good idea and I will have to try that out.

Thanks though.

hmmm, that may work. I can't imagine it would be comfortablr though, but good luck. I gotta say, if you haven't tried a smartcarry, you really should. It's perfect for those times when a belt holster won't work but I don't want to be outgunned by carrying my Keltec...
    My mom always told me to try new things including bell peppers green beans and the smartcarry ;)

Lead Moderator
    Gunbelt under shorts sounds painful. Perhaps a shoulder rig might be the only other option other than a fanny pack or smartcarry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Now that you all mention it, it would seem that the belt would be digging into my skin to disperse the weight of the gun and I don't like that notion.

And thank you for nagging me Hobbes. I just looked up Smartcarry's website to refresh myself what I didn't like about it and was shocked when I saw the picture. I was picturing the white elastic band that had a built in pocket for a weapon that went around your midsection.

I was totally under the wrong assumption.

Now, I will seriously look at the smartcarry and do some research on it, but it seems to be what I am looking for.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. No green beans or Green peppers though, no matter what!

Oh c'mon green beans and peppers rock!!!
    I hate to nag (maybe I got that from my mom too?) but I have tried a few different things and I believe the SC is good for this purpose. With jeans I do not like it at all, but with beltless type pants/shorts it's pretty good.
    Downside is the draw is slower than a OWB/IWB and it isn't the most comfortable, although it's not too bad.

My wife and I run and bicycle every day. The only holster that works for us in that attire is a fanny pack. I have looked at the smart carry and have considered it. Please let us know your thoughts if you get 1.

J.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    hmmm, that may work. I can't imagine it would be comfortablr though, but good luck.
    If you plan to explore a belt under your outer garment I share with you my experience. I have a Bianchi PatrolTek with a belt saver for this role. Inexpensive and effective. Sometimes I walk the dog either early in the morning or late at night. During those times I usually just slip on a pair of elastic band shorts or sweats and go out. The nylon rig definately holds the gear in place and it isn't uncomfortable on the skin at all.

Originally I got the Patroltek as a outfit that can be equipped without putting on clothes if I'm suddenly awoken out of bed. I haven't tried the smartcarry yet but I think it would also fit your needs well. I'm not touting nylon as suitable alternative to a leather rig but to this role I think its well suited.

I don't need the belt saver with the main belt unless I'm carrying all my gear on the walk: phone, radio, 6D maglite, spare keys in the silent key holder, and my sidearm/reload. My flashlight with batteries weighs 50 oz by itself. The belt saver doubles the stiffness of the system in my estimation. However the belt itself is pretty substantial on its own.

+1 for the fanny pack. I bike and hike. I sweat and move when I'm active. The fanny pack doesn't stand out in these activities like it would in the city. I admit I haven't tried the Smart Carry. I hesitate as it sounds uncomfortable and a wet, sweaty environment for a gun. (thats why I don't carry IWB when exercising.)

Fanny pak. Desantis Gunny Sack Jr. for my PM9.

http://www.desantisholster.com/r76.html

What about a belly band? Galco makes one and I think Uncle Mikes makes one too. I have one and it would support the weight of the Glock 19. You'd also have some other pouches to carry a spare mag, keys, knife, wallet, cell phone, flashlight or anything else you might need.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I wear athletic gear like you are describing alot when not at work. my family does alot of mountain biking, etc. I use a smart carry for all those situations when I don't have a belt on. It works great. I even turn the pouch to 3pm and wear on the side at times, especially when I am on the bike. you can wear in ALL day and never know it is there, and you never have to worry about it weighing down your pants. I could not recommend it more for what you are talking about. A+++++
    and Charlie at smart carry gives a money back warranty. you can't lose.

OH! I tend to sweat like most men...and even after 15 miles rides on the bike, the smart carry is that sweaty and wet. and the gun is fine.
    Last edited by snowdoctor; August 26th, 2006 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added info
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Links