Are thumb breaks OK? new shooter

This is a discussion on Are thumb breaks OK? new shooter within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a thumb break on the OWB holster for my Makarov. I practice with it, and it's not a problem at all. Makarov-in-falco.jpg...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Are thumb breaks OK? new shooter

I have a thumb break on the OWB holster for my Makarov.

I practice with it, and it's not a problem at all.

Makarov-in-falco.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Thumb breaks are unnecessary on a quality made holster
    Except ankle and shoulder holsters...
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I had one on one of my FIRST holsters (many moons ago) and ended up cutting it off.
    I suppose that they can have a use, but not on most CC/OC holsters used by most CCW'ers.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have OWB's for my wheelies with thumb breaks. It doesn't bother me at all. It's right where my thumb is going anyway to draw the hammer. I'm not sure how much it assists retention. Frankly, someone reaching for anything at my waist will catch a fast elbow in the chops.

About 80% of my holsters have thumb breaks. Nothing wrong with them.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've been using thumb breaks for years when I OWB. I do have a holster that is boned and it holds well, but I prefer the thumb break. I dont agree there is an extra step in the draw, your thumb is going in that direction anyway. Take some classes and practice, youll be fine.

Just work at it. You'll be OK.

Do what works for you, but practice safely with it. I knew guys that cheated on the range at qualification time by leaving retention devices undone. If you are going to use any kind of retention device, use it and don't cheat yourself.

You need to practice until your muscle memory develops and your draw is smooth and natural. The last few times I drew my weapon before retiring, the draw was so smooth and quick I didn't even remember drawing.
    mlr1m likes this.

In my opinion if you carry concealed in waist band (for example in a Galco King Tuk which is made of kydex and leather), it's not needed..If you're open carrying a decent level 2 duty serpa holster with an index release (for example a Blackhawk or $afariland) are my preferences. Oh and kudos on getting a gun belt.. It's the best thing you can do. Just be sure and practice, practice, practice as stated before.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I had thumb breaks on all of my revolver holsters back in the day, when I went to Glocks, I had a molded Galco that held it very secure and didn't feel the need for one. Now that I carry a 1911, I purposely got a thumb-break holster so I have that strap between the hammer and firing pin.

I have two holsters One IWB with no retention strap/thumb break. I also have a Desantis IWB/OWB holster that DID have a thumb break. I love the holster but since I wear IWB 100% the thumb strap was bothersome so I cut it off. Now my favorite holster so far. (The leather paired with the pressure from the belt it has great retention without the hassle of the strap.)

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I sometimes use one when outdoors in rough country.

Never used a thumb break holster until I went to OWB and bought a Galco Cop 3 slot. Although different, it was easy to train myself to use it properly and it didn't add any significant amount of time to my draw. It is a very natural thing (at least for me) to release as I went to grip my gun. But as some have said, if carrying concealed with a good holster, it isn't needed. If I were to OWB I would have a thumb break.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Practice indeed. Just remember, the thumb break adds one more hurdle to clear as you try to draw your weapon under the stress of a life and death event.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    No it doesn't.... at least the way I learned to use one. As you are moving your hand downward to grab the gun, your thumb releases it..... and you are pulling your gun out. I'm no slower with a thumb break holster than one that doesn't have one. People who think they have to release the thumb break and then grab their gun, just have never been taught the right technique in using one.

And, just because it's concealed doesn't mean you may not need one. I do things while concealed, that gun could come out quite easily... and that's with a quality holster. Just walking around no, but other things some of us do... yes.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyF View Post
    I'm new to all this and was just wondering if I should get a holster with some sort of thumb break/retention or not?

Thanks

It's really up to you. When I think of a thumb break holster, I think of the local police and open carry. For most (serious) folks carrying concealed, it will only slow you down and add maneuvers which add seconds to saving your life. For concealed carry, I personally recommend against a thumb break holster. There are few times when it might be prudent such as carrying with a shoulder holster. This sort of concealed carry for the average citizen is a rather advanced practice IMO.
    Retention? Many of the open top holsters available have excellent retention including leather without the need for a strap or snap. Plain kydex formed can be excellent in retention. Many manufacturers offer more positive retention open top holsters.
    Each and every one of us was "new to this" carry thing at one time. The more you do it, the more confidence you will have that your sidearm won't be leaving you on a whim. Confidence mainly comes with time and it will come faster if you decide to carry whenever possible.
    Extra confidence can also be found with the local police department or dialing 911. Most times that confidence is unfounded as the police are only miles and minutes away when you'll need them. Since you've basically decided to carry concealed, you obviously have a basic understanding of these facts. So.......look at a thumb break holster as dialing 911 on your cell phone when you should actually be deciding to draw and survive. I tend to look at things differently than some....I also look at my sole survival above all else. My life experiences don't amount to a hill of beans for anyone else but me. I still try my best to give good advise and sometimes an explanation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links