Just want to share a short story about OWB.

This is a discussion on Just want to share a short story about OWB. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; something that's frequently overlooked with OWB is using "camouflage". that being to color match the holster to the pants so that it doesn't stand out. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just want to share a short story about OWB.

something that's frequently overlooked with OWB is using "camouflage". that being to color match the holster to the pants so that it doesn't stand out. patterns and colors on the shirt can be used to break up or conceal any possible printing as well. I've used a black Kydex holster with a wilderness instructors belt and black jeans with a navy polo shirt on many occasions to carry my 1911 with no problems.

2. Remove Ads

IWB holsters can still be used as modified OWB for more long term comfort for those who frequently dress with their shirt tail left untucked - whether for a more casual appearance or you're more like me (building a bit of a shed over the tools) and leave shirt tail untucked to appear more in the second trimester of pregnancy instead of the third

Instead of buying a complete wardrobe of pants that are 2" (or more) larger in waist size to fit around an IWB holster, simply wear pants that fit - and put the IWB holster under your longer belt on the outside of the pant's waitsband. Mild pressure from the belt over the IWB holster helps secure the weapon better than most OWB's that have no retainer strap, allows a smoother weapon draw (since the belt is over the holster and not behind it like an OWB), while providing a lot more comfort than having the holster and weapon being mashed into your bare skin which is generally common with IWB's inside the pant's waistband.

Something on the line of an IWB "Kholster" with a large leather backplate can be trimmed down and adjusted to sit well under a belt with good cant (but outside pant's waistband) with the leather backplate keeping the pistol butt from digging into your love-handles while driving and sitting. Even a relatively short shirt tail will cover most compact pistols very well.

Nice post, Eaglebeak. I was beginning to think I was the only one doing this. Been doing it for a while, and it works great. I don't always use this method, but it is very handy for the H715s I have for both EDCs when I can just drop it between the pants and belt, and be done with it. You are right, it works great. If there's enough room in the pants, it usually goes in there, but if the pants fit correctly, the manner of carry you describe works beautifully.
    "Second place is first loser".

I don't own a IWB holster. Any time I get a new gun I order a Fist #12 basic, and look no further.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I have same Shed problem and it made IWB very uncomfortable!! Plus my Cougar .40 is all metal and heavier than Glocks and other composites, so had an OWB Kydex made for me and Much More Comfortable!! And easy to hide!! If not, the LCP in a pocket holster works well!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Waiting for your pix....

Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    ...Thanks for reading. I just wanted to share for the newer folks and folks that are on the fence about OWB holsters. I'm dress like a normal 25 year old guy with fitting clothes and carryOWB without printing. If I can do it with a larger compact size gun and two spare mags then you guys can too. I'll post pics of my carry rig and hopefully can answer your questions of you have any. Thanks for listening to my experience, please share yours.
    Like they say, "This thread is useless without pix".

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I would love to carry OWB. But, we can't OC in SC.

The heat & humidity make unbearable to wear anything more than a "t-shirt" or beach shirt here. So, I find OWB carry just doesn't work well. I OWB some during the winter months when you can wear a light jacket. But, the summer heat makes OWB carry very impractical because of having to use a cover garment.

I either use my very comfortable CBST that I've modified to AIWB to carry my PCW; or I pocket carry a Bodyguard 380; that way I can easily conceal with only a basic "t" or "beach" shirt.
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    IWB holsters can still be used as modified OWB for more long term comfort for those who frequently dress with their shirt tail left untucked - whether for a more casual appearance or you're more like me (building a bit of a shed over the tools) and leave shirt tail untucked to appear more in the second trimester of pregnancy instead of the third

Instead of buying a complete wardrobe of pants that are 2" (or more) larger in waist size to fit around an IWB holster, simply wear pants that fit - and put the IWB holster under your longer belt on the outside of the pant's waitsband. Mild pressure from the belt over the IWB holster helps secure the weapon better than most OWB's that have no retainer strap, allows a smoother weapon draw (since the belt is over the holster and not behind it like an OWB), while providing a lot more comfort than having the holster and weapon being mashed into your bare skin which is generally common with IWB's inside the pant's waistband.

Something on the line of an IWB "Kholster" with a large leather backplate can be trimmed down and adjusted to sit well under a belt with good cant (but outside pant's waistband) with the leather backplate keeping the pistol butt from digging into your love-handles while driving and sitting. Even a relatively short shirt tail will cover most compact pistols very well.
    Well, son of a gun, Eaglebeak, I never thought of that. I have a IWB CBMT for my Bodyguard .380 and usually have to wear my "big" jeans. Sometimes tucked, sometimes not. I am going to try this tomorrow! I bet it's going to work just fine. I just went and tried it to see what you mean and, dang, it seems to work. Now, I have another option for what I call winter carry without buying another holster. I just ordered a IWB CBST for my XDSC and I was wondering how I would get that cannon inside my fitted jeans. Oh, to lose 5 more lbs.
    Carpe Diem

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I would love to carry OWB. But, we can't OC in SC.

The heat & humidity make unbearable to wear anything more than a "t-shirt" or beach shirt here. So, I find OWB carry just doesn't work well. I OWB some during the winter months when you can wear a light jacket. But, the summer heat makes OWB carry very impractical because of having to use a cover garment.

I either use my very comfortable CBST that I've modified to AIWB to carry my PCW; or I pocket carry a Bodyguard 380; that way I can easily conceal with only a basic "t" or "beach" shirt.

Same here in the southern part of Florida.

I use a High Noon Public Secret holster the majority of the time with a light cover shirt to carry my Glock 23 or 36.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

OS
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links