Holster in the movie 'Bullitt'

This is a discussion on Holster in the movie 'Bullitt' within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there folks. I was watching the old classic movie, 'Bullitt' the orher day and was wondering what kind of shoulder holster Steve McQueen was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Holster in the movie 'Bullitt'

Hey there folks. I was watching the old classic movie, 'Bullitt' the orher day and was wondering what kind of shoulder holster Steve McQueen was wearing? I would really like to get my hands on one for my Smith & Wesson 642. If anyone can tell me where I can get one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    The maker of the one I have is Bianchi. It is a 209 for a Smith 38/357. Don't know if they still make them or not.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    It appears to be a Safariland Model 19 made back in the 1970s, I have one for my Detective Special I bought off eBay. I have not seen any similar holsters offered in many years be any maker. Back when I was flying with the military that was the most comfortable and secure holster worn under a flight suit I ever found.

steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg P1010188.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wouldn't that be a slower draw than a Miami style shoulder holster? Not to mention that you're pointing the gun at yourself as you're drawing it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Never had trouble with speed plus as you draw I requires the weapon to be rotated to slide the trigger guard from the bottom of the holster and at no time do you point the weapon at yourself during the draw.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It appears to be a Safariland Model 19 made back in the 1970s, I have one for my Detective Special I bought off eBay. I have not seen any similar holsters offered in many years be any maker. Back when I was flying with the military that was the most comfortable and secure holster worn under a flight suit I ever found.

My money is on you.

msgt/ret likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Vintage ones still do do pop up sporadically on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    My money is on you.

I was able to find this. Its called an Upside Down Shoulder Holster.

Upside Down Shoulder Holster

In all my reading, I am told that it is a natural and fast draw. And the gun may be pointing at your armpit during carry, but I am carrying a S&W 642 DAO. Its not going to fire and I don't know about you guys, but I don't draw my weapon with my finger on the trigger. I think this would be a nice summer carry holster under a light shirt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I was able to find this. Its called an Upside Down Shoulder Holster.

Upside Down Shoulder Holster

In all my reading, I am told that it is a natural and fast draw. And the gun may be pointing at your armpit during carry, but I am carrying a S&W 642 DAO. Its not going to fire and I don't know about you guys, but I don't draw my weapon with my finger on the trigger. I think this would be a nice summer carry holster under a light shirt.
    Looks a lot like the Safariland from the 1970s but priced much more than I paid for mine back then.

Unfortunately everything is more expensive. Somw of the holsters that I come across that cost $200 are rediculous. The cost of supplies plus labor is nowhere near that. $80 - $100 is ok for a simple shoulder holster. I want quality but be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

I had one of these for my off-duty Airweight J-Frame 2" which was purchased in 1970. Carried it alot, I think it just wore out. I only paid about $40 for it brand new.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Just got another one on eBay should fit my Model 15. If it's too short I do have a 2 !/2 inch Model 19 that will work.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Ken Null makes several like that and they are excellent rigs for carrying a J frame or Det. Special and very classy.
    ejes likes this.

BIANCHI_zpsae421b94.jpg

Found one of the Bianchi versions (model # 9R) of this used but in great shape yesterday. Kind of hard for me to reach across and get to because I have a larger chest and arms (and gut) than a lot of people. Stuck it on Ebay. If it sells, cool. If not, won't break my heart to keep it.

TRX
    Nevada Gunleather makes one. I use one often. Someone here posted a picture of the Bullitt holster last year, and I tracked down a maker.

I'm left-handed, and bought the left-hand version... but the way the holster is made, it rides quite far to the rear. I believe any similar holster will, if not pulled forward for publicity photos. A shoulder holster winds up with the center of gravity of the gun under the high spot on your shoulder, which is way further back than you'd think. Anyway, it's back by my short ribs, and since I'm of the "rotund" persuasion, it can be awkward to get to for a draw.

On the other hand, it's trivially easy to just reach my right hand up, hand and fingers curled, and pull the gun straight down. Of course it's in the wrong hand then... It has the further advantage of you just reach up under your shirt, similar to a waistband holster; you don't need to get at it through the front of a jacket or button-up shirt.

If you're right-handed, I'd therefore recommend the left-handed version of the holster for a right-hand draw, and vice versa.

I'd like to find a similar holster for an Officer's size 1911, but I haven't found one yet.

It's kind of like the ankle holster thing; by tradition, ankle holsters are cross-draw, but if you put a left hand holster on the right leg so the butt of the gun faces forward, it's easier to grip and pull it right-handed, with your left just raising your pant leg if needed. No need to jam your fingers in between the holster and grip, just grab it normally like you'd reach down to scratch your ankle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links