Sorry for yet another holster thread but I need help on OWB

This is a discussion on Sorry for yet another holster thread but I need help on OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read prob 200 pages on this and other forums, I now have analysis paralysis with way too much info to boil down, so ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: Sorry for yet another holster thread but I need help on OWB

I have read prob 200 pages on this and other forums, I now have analysis paralysis with way too much info to boil down, so any help is appreciated. Also posted this on a smaller forum, but not enough feedback so hoping more input from here.

Looking for OWB hard cased for S&W9 full size. Looking for carry while hiking as one use (not exclusively for hiking, but was hoping to get one rig that can be very good at multiple uses). Want a locking mechanism, not worried about someone taking the gun, worried about brush and twigs snagging it and twisting pulling out etc. Assume both OC and CC. Of course, not using a pack with hip strap.

It seems like there is a ton on the Blackhawks. Then other brands. Other forum showed several posts why blackhawks are NOT reliable.

Would appreciate any input on what you have used, and maybe a comment or 2 on what's good/bad like/dislike, etc.

Thanks.

Administrator
    For hiking/camping etc. the Bianchi AccuMold Thumbsnap might work out fine for you.
    You won't need to be concerned about losing or having your firearm snagged out of your holster in brambles and heavy brush or having your firearm exit the holster should you take a tumble. I guess you could call a retention strap a locking device.

Really though I think that any well crafted and nicely boned OWB holster will "stay put" - pull the firearm in close to the body - and have great retention without a locking device or even a retention strap.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    This might fulfill your needs.

Hume Semi-Open Front Pancake Holster (H726)
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

sgb
    NCW Ray likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Silent Thunder with automatic release

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Silent Thunder with automatic release
    appreciate all the inputs, looked at silent thunder, which model, on the website there are several but none specifically with automatic release...(or at least that i saw)

When I was doing wilderness SAR I used a Assault systems flap holster. My pack has a hip belt and it still worked great for OC.

VIP Member
    Here's another Silent Thunder, slightly different from the one Mattman referenced.

Duty Auto Hood Kydex and Leather Holster | Silent Thunder | Garrett Holsters
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    When I was doing wilderness SAR I used a Assault systems flap holster. My pack has a hip belt and it still worked great for OC.
    Looking at this link, but too many , can you be a bit more specific? However, these look pretty good if one of these are what you have. Holsters: Assault Systems

I does not look like its made anymore. Probably the closest would be something like a UM84, but that is not very discrete either.

You stated "hard cased" - by that, I assume you mean not leather?

You also were vague about the gun - "S&W 9 full size" only narrows it down to about 20 different models. If you meant the M&P, good - lots of holsters out there for that series.

You might look into Blade-Tech. I use one of their Kydex Black Ice rigs for competition, and they have several more models which might work for you. Rugged and affordable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    I'm thinking that my Post #2 was not much help since I completely missed your initial request for a "hard cased" holster. Hope that you find what you're looking for.

Sponsored Links