Specific holster question

This is a discussion on Specific holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My apologies for posting yet another holster thread, but I'm having a hard time finding the kind of holster I want. I have an S&W ...

Thread: Specific holster question

Specific holster question

My apologies for posting yet another holster thread, but I'm having a hard time finding the kind of holster I want. I have an S&W M&P 9 compact, and I need an OWB holster with some kind of retention. I've looked at the Safariland 6377 and 6378. I want good retention because I'll be taking this gun hiking, and even this compact pistol is a little big on my body. It might not always be totally concealed, so I don't want it to be easily snatched. However, I need to be able to draw it quickly------I'll practice, but I want the equipment in my favor.

Are the Safariland holsters good? What other options do I have? A low-profile holster would be good because I'm not a large person.

Thanks for all suggestions!

2. Remove Ads

Safariland is best-known for their uniform holsters and their competition holsters, rather than concealment, so perhaps another brand would suit your purpose better. If it's off-the-shelf you want, DeSantis and Galco do a very good job of concealment rigs. For hiking I expect (one of the companies held by my old Bianchi company was Gregory backpacks) that you would be best off with a crossdraw belt holster; it'll go under a jacket in bad weather and you'll have enough over your shoulders with the pack without adding a shoulder harness. Some of these companies, including Aker, have adjustable angle paddle holsters that will simplify getting in and out of your hiking gear, so you could go that way or simply wear a crossdraw field holster on a light gunbelt.

Links