Holster making...initial investment? - Page 2

Holster making...initial investment?

This is a discussion on Holster making...initial investment? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You'll get no argument from me there with regard to your (above) post. I think though that a complete newbie that wants to just try ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Holster making...initial investment?

Administrator
    You'll get no argument from me there with regard to your (above) post. I think though that a complete newbie that wants to just try to make his own holsters rather than buy them needs to start somewhere.
    Hopefully what they will attempt to copy will be something of a modern and proved workable design.

A big problem that I've seen on this forum through the past years is members/folks with really good intentions try their luck at "rolling their own" and they run into all sorts of major problems because they have absolutely no initial knowledge or fundamentals.

You know the old saying: "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions."

They buy the wrong leather (like Chrome Tanned) & they know nothing about casing leather even if they do (by chance) buy veg tanned - they cannot finish edges - they use that stupid "Stitch AWL" which makes the WORLDS WORST looking stitches....they use shoe polish as a final finish instead of leather dye and then wonder why their beige pants turned black....and their belt slots look like a rat chewed them into the leather.

So I thought the Stohlman book at least clues them in on on casing leather, wet molding, cementing, and there are saddle stitching instructions in there and some edge finishing instructions....and they get a look at the some very basic tools needed for all types of leather work. blah blah blah.

I actually have a personal undying love of gun-leather and nice holsters and I really want to see members at least have a bit of initial success in their first entry into leather working. Most (of course) will never reach the level of your first attempt (above) but, I would like them to at least get started making stuff that they can be a bit proud of.

There just aren't many Holster Making Schools out there. Like probably none. There are a few good/decent videos on YouTube but anything that helps avoid some of the intial "trial & error" and typical usual failure is better than nothing at all I guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

some help in making your first holster

I to believe the Stohlman book is good for a beginner to learn leatherworking basics (not for modern holster design) however it does show how to make a basic pattern. Below are a few sights that will help you decide if you want to tackle a holster and give you step by step tutorials on making a modern holster. Chuck burrows gives a great tutorial on stitching. I have also listed a real basic list of tools that will get your first holster made. Not everyone will agree with the list however I know for a fact you can get a holster built with this list, I have done it. For your first holster get a piece of Tandy leather ( later if your still making holsters get the good stuff). You need 8-9oz Veg tanned leather perferably shoulder.

List of tools and material:
    Waxed nylon thread small spool about $4.00
    Needles- a 10 pack about 2.00 Tandy can help you size the needle for the thread you buy.
    Adjustable groover (to cut a stitching channel) about 13.00
    Over stitch wheel #5 or 6 (I usually use #5) About 12.00
    A sharp knife such as a carpet knife $6.00
    Stabbing awl (to make holes for stitching) $6.00
    Edge beveler (#2 or #3) $10.00
    A snap setter (if you will have retention strap) about $14.00
    you need something to hit the snap setter with a dead blow hammer for $4-6.00 from harbor freight will work to start with.
    There are lots of other tools you could get but this will get your first holster put together. The tutorials will give you some more ideas and you will find you probably already have some tools that will be useful

Tutorials:
    JDLawhon.com - Holstermaking 101
    Making Holsters
    Holster Making Tutorials
    Holster Making Tutorial
    Tutorials | Old Faithful Holsters
    Holsters and Gun Leather Design
    WIld Rose Trading Co - Leather Sewing

These should get you well on your way to making your first holster. Also go to Gun Holsters, Rifle Slings and Knife Sheathes - Leatherworker.net you can get just about any question on holster making answered and find many holster designs. you will need to register to see the pictures but well worth a few minutes of your time. Hope this helps.

Scott
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    Thanks Scott!

Extremely helpful post.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post

As an aside about the novice not creating the next best thing, if anyone here remembers the Bianchi model 30 mag pouch, at one time it was the most popular, and most-copied, competition mag pouch. I designed it that way at 20 before I went to Bianchi, because my older gun-nut brother wanted a pouch for his Browning P35 and, in an effort to create a competing design to Andy Anderson's benchmark speed pouch, built a foldup,one-piece design because I didn't have stitching machine!
    Images of this design from circa 1970 as in production circa 1990; it doesn't seem that Bianchi produces it any longer:

26JAN2010_Bianchi4hnp.jpg26JAN2010017.jpg
    QKShooter likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Hand stitching: this is best done using a stitching 'pony' and a spacing wheel inside a stitch groover; use 5 stitches per inch. Use 5 cord waxed linen thread, or nylon thread smaller than 415, with harness needles. Nylon has the advantage that at the tie-off you can 'cut' the thread with a pointed soldering iron, thereby sealing the cut against unravelling. I know ALL the little tricks.
    Images of hand stitching, saddle stamping, from a rig I built for old Joe Bowman, r.i.p. He was one of those amazingly fast trick shooters that we've all heard of, but few have seen in action - in person. A colourful character who roamed the industry's SHOT show.

1.jpg
    4.jpg
    z_bowman (11).jpg
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Somehow I think the original topic was lost.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Take a look at this kit:

Tandy Leather Factory - Deluxe Hand Stitching Kit

This book is a very good "basic" book on working with and sewing leather. QKShooter is right about starting with a book. You'll notice 3 tools. One is a guide that let's you put a slight groove in the leather a set distance from the edge. this is where your sewing will go. The tool with the pokey wheels runs over the leather leaving a patter for where you'll make holes for the thread. This keeps the spacing good and even. The 3rd tool is a hand sewing awl. These are the basic three plus a very sharp knife to cut the leather. You'll need die's and thread.

This gets you started on basic hand sewing. A BIG step up is a sewing machine (not your wife's :) ) but that can be quite a bit of money. There are special tools for burnishing the edges of leather (rounding the edge) but you can do that with common hand tools around the house. A dremel works well to make the holes.

I've got some of these tools and would like to make my own becasue I'd like to make a holster exactly the way I'd like it but I haven't started becasue of the time. I know the first few are going to be crude. I have a friend who builds saddles and horse tack. He's also done some holsters but he prefers the larger horse leather work. He makes hand sewing look easy but it's like everything else, it takes a fair amount of practice.

I've found some good info on different web sites on how to form, shape, mold, etc.

I've always wanted to do this and handload ammo but have never had the time to take the plunge. I hope you do and enjoy it!

Gideon
    QKShooter likes this.

This custom maker appears to be put more of a production maker's effort into building a holster:

Brigade Holsters- M-11 Exotic Ultimate IWB Holster

The pics of construction on that page are educational for newbies and oldies alike.

It intrigues me that Brigade's paddle holster is a copy of my trademarked design for Aker, and the paddle itself is my patented invention:

IMG_1475.jpgm-15.jpg

Originality is its own reward, chaps; give it a try.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Take a look at this kit:

Tandy Leather Factory - Deluxe Hand Stitching Kit

This book is a very good "basic" book on working with and sewing leather. QKShooter is right about starting with a book. You'll notice 3 tools. One is a guide that let's you put a slight groove in the leather a set distance from the edge. this is where your sewing will go. The tool with the pokey wheels runs over the leather leaving a patter for where you'll make holes for the thread. This keeps the spacing good and even. The 3rd tool is a hand sewing awl.

Gideon
    Use a cordless drill to make the holes, you likely already have one and a cordless' top speed (1,500 rpm) is more suitable to the task than an awl: faster and safer and straighter, and the hole is the same size front to back of your holster.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links