Holster making...initial investment?

This is a discussion on Holster making...initial investment? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell me an approximate cost to get started in making a holster? Tools, material, etc. Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Holster making...initial investment?

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Holster making...initial investment?

Can anyone tell me an approximate cost to get started in making a holster? Tools, material, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

You can do it for less than a hundred bucks if you do it right, but the methods will be crude and your finished product will most likely reflect it. There is something to say about a holster you made for yourself, as well as taking the initiative to do so.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

cj
    Really depends on what type of holster you're wanting to make. Leather? Kydex? Hybrid?

Either way you go, it's possible to do a fairly minimalistic investment, especially if you've got some tools for other things around. My 'leather knife' is a snap off razor knife, I had a dremel tool already, as well as a cordless drill, and that's been a lot of what I can use for some basic ones. The better tools may make things easier, faster, and prettier, but might be a waste if you end up not enjoying the process.

Wanting to make an all leather holster.

We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Check out leatherworker.net. Also you can email me at haysholsters@hotmail.com and I can try and answer specific questions.

Administrator
    Also buy this book first. The full size patterns in it are not for most modern carry firearms BUT, you will learn to make a cutting pattern for any firearm.
    Assembly, stitching, lacing, glueing, finishing...the tools you'll need.
    It all in the book.
    It's always selling on ebay usually for around $10.00

Husker likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks one and all for the direction.

Patrick Henry

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Wanting to make an all leather holster.

I started with a $250 investment in tools and leather .......

My 1st prototype ........ - AR15.COM

My very first attempt -

How I make a Holster - AR15.COM
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

My very first attempt -

Nice!

Patrick Henry

That looks pretty darn good for your first one , got some skills for sure, I'd love to make them but just don't have time and money or the skills like that lol... you sure did some nice work..

sent from my commando using tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Also buy this book first. The full size patterns in it are not for most modern carry firearms BUT, you will learn to make a cutting pattern for any firearm.
    Assembly, stitching, lacing, glueing, finishing...the tools you'll need.
    It all in the book.
    It's always selling on ebay usually for around $10.00

There is absolutely nothing in Stohlman's book that is relevant to contemporary holster design or construction essentials. It's a history book, use it only for learning saddle stamping.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

My very first attempt -

Expecting that the design is a copy of someone else's work, it's a good effort at construction. The slot positioning indicates that it can only be worn forward of the iliac crest (top of the pelvis) if one wants to conceal it AND draw.

Administrator
    Hi Red
    I am aware of the fact (as stated in my above post) the the full size holster and cutting patterns in the book are not really relevant to the carry handguns of today.
    I do however stand by my recommendation of the Stohlman "How To Make Holsters" book and it being worth the meager $10 Dollar investment because of the following.

If a person wants to get started making leather holsters and they have absolutely no prior leather working experience (at all) then they are either pretty much automatically doomed to failure...either that or the "end result" is going to be a pretty sad & pathetic looking example.

As I have seen (first hand) VIA some examples/photos on this forum over the years.

The Stolhman book is worthwhile because very basic leatherworking and leather construction techniques are covered as well as the very basics in necessary tools.

Obviously a person that just wants to dabble in leather working and initially attempt a holster project or two is going to either need to learn how to "hand" saddle stitch or use that "Stitch Awl" as they are not going to run out and spend thousands on a leather stitching machine.

In order to have any success at all they are going to need some very basic knowledge with regard to casing leather, cementing edge finishing, and well, I don't really need to get into it all with you because you obviously have an amazing amount of leather & holster savvy & you'll know where I'm coming from.

I also think that any novice that wants to attempt to "build his own carry leather" is going to need to copy some holster that already exists and is already being produced by some established and reputable maker.
    As I'm certain you are aware - no entry level novice/amateur leather crafter is going to create the next incredible end-all/beat-all revolutionary innovation in concealment holsters.

They are going to need to copy something that already exists but, they will need some rudimentary skills in order to even attempt the project.

So really my recommendation of the book was not for the outmoded cutting patterns or the leather "tooling & stamping" designs in the book.

That would be very valuable but, the basic leather working "Tips & Hints" will prove to be quite beneficial.

Years ago the very first holster holster that I made was for a Colt Single Action Army and I made it from that book. Then I became really interested in leatherworking and starting doing leather work "moonlighting" in the old Tandy Leather Company that was on the Blvd Of The Allies in Downtown Pittsburgh.

I was doing that when I should have been in school. I was a bad boy.

I would "skip school" and jump on a bus down to Tandy Leather Co and learn directly from the Texas Tandy employees that Tandy exported to Pittsburgh.

I floral tooled and built my first saddle in the back roon of Tandy shop at age 17 but, now mostly just do extra fancy custom knife sheaths for one maker.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I just ordered from these guys and I'm happy with the product and the service. They also have more of a selection in sizes for leather. I already had most of the tools, but I got into leather/kydex hybrids for about $150. It's been a slow start, but I have 7 holsters ready for riveting and final tweaking. I've still got a good bit of material left too. I used the Herman Oak B Grade side, boy is it nice.

Home - Springfield Leather Co. Inc.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Qkshooter and I can agree to a compromise that the Stohlman book contains handy leather construction hints. I'm pointing out that Stohlman's work was written at a time that a handgun was treated as a simple tool like a hammer, and no more dangerous; and as such it has no place as a primer for making contemporary holsters.

I, too, bought this book as a teen, and spent my $$$ at Tandy. Looking back I will say it contributed nothing to what I know about designing holsters; MAKING holsters cannot stand on leathersmithing along -- it depends on the knowledge that went into the design.

As an aside about the novice not creating the next best thing, if anyone here remembers the Bianchi model 30 mag pouch, at one time it was the most popular, and most-copied, competition mag pouch. I designed it that way at 20 before I went to Bianchi, because my older gun-nut brother wanted a pouch for his Browning P35 and, in an effort to create a competing design to Andy Anderson's benchmark speed pouch, built a foldup,one-piece design because I didn't have stitching machine!

Hand stitching: this is best done using a stitching 'pony' and a spacing wheel inside a stitch groover; use 5 stitches per inch. Use 5 cord waxed linen thread, or nylon thread smaller than 415, with harness needles. Nylon has the advantage that at the tie-off you can 'cut' the thread with a pointed soldering iron, thereby sealing the cut against unravelling. I know ALL the little tricks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links