Need Holster Advice: Ankle Holster for Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on Need Holster Advice: Ankle Holster for Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife wants to start ankle carry for her Ruger LCR, specifically while on horseback with boots. I have never explored the alternative at all, ...

Thread: Need Holster Advice: Ankle Holster for Ruger LCR

Question Need Holster Advice: Ankle Holster for Ruger LCR

My wife wants to start ankle carry for her Ruger LCR, specifically while on horseback with boots. I have never explored the alternative at all, and have no idea where to begin in terms of fit, quality, materials or the like!

I would appreciate it if those of you that ankle-carry would jump in here and help educate us!

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a lot of experience to offer, but have been doing a lot of reading about holsters. I can tell you that Remora is a very well thought of brand, is fairly inexpensive, and has models that go from ankle to pocket to waistband. Remora 8L

I ankle carry my LCR in the Galco Ankle Glove with Calf Strap. It's the only ankle holster I have ever owned, but it is very comfortable. I see no reason not to recommend it.

What? No others opinions? WHAT is going on here?

I dunno what's going on, but I'm a newcomer here. If I'd looked at your post count, I might not have responded myself, because you'd probably already know about Remora convertibles.

I can say that just ordered an LCR XS and am going to get a Remora 8L to facilitate carrying my 38-3 as a BUG, whether ankle or pocket.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I have a Blackhawk with a calf strap. I have put a G26 in it and had no problems with it falling down or anything.

They aren't the most comfortable thing to wear for 14+ hours at a time as the velcro can dig a little but no complaints. Definitely worked effectively when waist carry wasn't practical and unless you know what to look for, it would go unnoticed.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input to date!

What about Remora's? I've never looked at them nor have I ever seen one. Good stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Thanks for the input to date!

What about Remora's? I've never looked at them nor have I ever seen one. Good stuff?
    Given the low volume of feedback here, this noob will venture in again.

I've been seriously considering Remora to be able to move from ankle-pocket-4:00-11:00. Searching this forum for "Remora" turns up 5 pages of posts, with only a couple of negative remarks; they're mostly glowing testimonials. But one of the negative posts is very disturbing, having to do with a Remora dislodging from the waistband:
    Disturbing experience with Remora
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

This is how I've carried my BUG for the past three years, almost daily. It works for me.
    Ankle holster - Bianchi Ranger - s&w 442 - slacks - YouTube
    Bianchi Ranger ankle holster - S&W 442 - YouTube
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

ace case 21.00

Ankle Holsters - Ace Case Manufacturing

Or a top of the boot holster for 10.00 like an IWB. These holsters seat the gun deep so it will be more secure

+1 Galco Ankle Glove. I've never used an ankle holster, but at another site, this one was considered the most secure and comfortable. A bit pricey.

I have a 5-Shot Gunleather ankle rig for my Sig P238 and I must say that it is very comfortable.
    ”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
    ~James Earl Jones

XD40 Service - XD9 Subcompact - Range Officer - M&P9 Pro - M&P40 Compact - P238

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

My cute wife studied all of the links, all of the options, and decided on the Bianchi for her Glock 26. Must have been those cute hairy man legs in the YouTube Video that sold her, Boricua.

She had decided, unknown to me, to switch to her G26 while riding, so the Bianchi will work. Like most of us, she'll probably revisit this thread and add a couple more to her list of carry options when all done.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

But one of the negative posts is very disturbing, having to do with a Remora dislodging from the waistband:
    Disturbing experience with Remora
    My guess is that because it was appendix carry, bending over caused his thigh to push the holster up out of position. This is especially likely if the person is a little "gravitationally challenged" - the thigh pushes up while the tummy pushes out.

I carry with a Remora at 3:00. Yesterday I was doing lots of bending, twisting, up and downs, etc. while assembling and installing a backyard greenhouse. During that entire time, I don't think my Remora moved even one millimeter. My only caution is that you need to remember that it's not attached to anything when you drop your pants in a restroom. I haven't tried a Remora ankle holster, but I sure do like it for IWB.

i've been very happy with the Desantis Apache ankle holster,have used them for years..

Links