Inside Tall Cowboy Boots Holster?

This is a discussion on Inside Tall Cowboy Boots Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My normal footwear is western boots, often with 15 to 17" tops. I have an AirLite Smith Model 317 that I would like to conceal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Inside Tall Cowboy Boots Holster?

My normal footwear is western boots, often with 15 to 17" tops. I have an AirLite Smith Model 317 that I would like to conceal in the boot tops. Have never worn or even seen a IWB holster so have no idea if it would convert, but I am looking for a holster that would clip to the boot top and securely hold a holster, preferably inside the boot. But, if need be, and if it were secure enough, I would wear one that secured a holster on the outside of the boot top and wear my jeans over the boots. But, it would have to be secure because in normal ranch work it would be easy to loose a gun that was outside the boot.

mrm
    Wow thats a tough one! The tops on the boots are not overly supportive are they? I have no real suggestions on the boots but could you get away with a standard leg holster put on pretty high and then put the boots on? Ive got a relatively cheap nylon style strap holster for my bodyguard 380 that I wear on ankle but could adjust to just about anywhere on my leg, I suppose running or jumping would be out of the question because it would eventually move the holster down into the boots, and you would have to readjust it. Good luck.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

I have a couple of pocket holsters I use in boots, but they do not have clips. One is leather (I forgot the maker and am not at home to look), the other is an Uncle Mike's. Both are pretty secure.

tuck-able_leather_holster_203_2_revolver-04.jpg

get an ace case @ cheaper then dirt -10.00

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd be concerned about accessibility.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for when you are seated. one can reach down to the inside of the leg opposite strong side and come up with a gun.

for me its a 4" NAA 5 shot 22 mag called the Black Widow.
    if im wearing mid high boots its a 1 3/4 inch of the same.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Unless you wear your pants inside your boots I don't see how you would be able to draw fast without dropping your pants first and then whipping it out "the pistol".I guess if you were held up and the Robber yelled "give me everything you got",and you dropped your pants,he might be distracted enough to be able to draw and shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've done some testing with this myself since I've taken to wearing cowboy boots as my normal day to day footwear. My bit of testing with trying to build something to clip onto the boot was a bust of sorts. Wasn't comfortable too much movement and that's if your boots are in fairly good shape and not floppy at all. So after that I have been testing an Ankle rig of sorts that rides on the leg but the top of the boot seems to keep it in place. You can run it fairly loose around the leg and the bulk of the rig won't fall below the top of the boot. Seems to work fair/good but like guys above said the draw isn't anything to brag about. it's going to be more of an issue the taller the boots because you have to bring your pant leg up even higher to clear the gun/holster. For a backup gun, not a bad working solution or maybe a bit deeper concealment(though I can't see too many times I'll be in boots where I won't be wearing jeans and carrying a full sized gun).

You should be able to make a workable test with most any ankle rig that works well. I've heard good things from the Alessi ankle rigs and there are others but I'm drawing a blank. At the moment I haven't found a way to really improve on what they have been building or get a design that I'm really happy with so I don't offer anything in an ankle/boot rig but other guys do and they should fit what your looking for.

Take care!

Luke

I couldn't think of a worse place to carry a weapon, in an SD situation you won't be able to call a time out so you can dig your gun out

Well, I don't know if it is workable or not. The best bet for when I am on foot would be a good clip-on that would secure on the outside of the boot top with the pant leg over the boot. My interest is for something on hot summer days when I am horseback. And I am horseback a lot and our ranch is bisected by a highway that is getting more and more traffic. I sometimes just carry on my belt but I thought there might be someone out there who had worked out a BUG plan for high boots. Years ago we had a cobbler here who sewed pouches into boot tops so guys could carry their wallets there. In my case a quick draw is hopefully not necessary (no lectures, I understand preparedness.) In most cases when horseback I can carry in my cantle bag. I'll play around with this and if I find something that works I'll report back, though I will probably have to switch to a small, flat semi-auto.
    bsms likes this.

IMG_0112_1.jpgIMG_0113_1.jpgIMG_0114_1.jpgIMG_0115_1.jpgIMG_0116_1.jpgIMG_0117_1.jpgI've done it. Get a Desantis Nemesis and glue some foam rubber at the pressure points. I will try to post pics. Be aware it is deep concealed and takes longer to access.

Thanks, Yoda. I am aware it is deep concealed. Thanks again. I might have to buy wider jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'd be concerned about accessibility.
    When the pants cover the top of the boot? Good luck getting to your firearm when you really need it.OMO

It would be much quicker to wear it on the waist.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I keep mine in a cross draw outside my left boot. You may find a better position. I used a beer coozy and silicone based flexible glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading an article in a gun magazine last night and the author talked about his dad having a clip-on holster in his boot and the author said he did the same. I think this has been around for as long as there have been boots and pistols but not as many people wear boots today. In most cases I would be able to draw from a clip-on in my boot almost as quickly as from a thumb-break or latch holster on my hip. In my area and where I would be going with boots on one is not likely to be surprised. A very rural, very western environment I live in. Yoda's idea would be very quick. Not much different than lifting one's shirt to get to an IWB. If I carried under the pants on tall boots I might be able to use a small belt or attach it to the pull holes or pull straps on the top of the boot. My concern on outside of the boot is losing the gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links