Remora Outside the Wasteband!?!

This is a discussion on Remora Outside the Wasteband!?! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Ruger SP101 w/3" barrel AND a Remora Holster w/sweat shield. So far, I like it a lot. It's been many years ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Free

Thread: Remora Outside the Wasteband!?!

I just bought a Ruger SP101 w/3" barrel AND a Remora Holster w/sweat shield. So far, I like it a lot. It's been many years since I've carried IWB, in favor of a pocket carried 642. Since it's been pocket carry only for so long, almost all my pants fit my waist, and not my waist + gun. I do have a few pair that are a bit big, and I can dress around the gun on the rare occasion that I carry the SP101. (Pocket carry of the 642 will still be the norm.)

So— I don't want to buy "fat" pants for occasional use of the Remora. Because of the way the Remora works (friction and pressure) it occurred to me that it might work outside the waist band— but under a wide belt. I just started trying this method this evening, and so far it feels very secure. People use the Remora with sweatpants. The pressure and friction caused by sweatpants is essentially from a piece of string, so I feel confident that outside the pant, but under a wide belt, will work quite well. I'll test it a few weeks at home before going out with it.

The big question is... Is this a stupid idea for some reason? Am I missing something?

Especially people who have actually own a Remora, please chime in.
    beararms likes this.

I don't have a remora. My concern is:

Retention? By friction alone? or is the "remora" sticky stuff on the inside of the holster, too? If it's just lined with cloth, I wouldn't like it for the retention... But then, I suppose that if it weren't tucked under a shirt, there'd be the same issue.
    Last edited by oakchas; February 25th, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: highlight inside holster
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Its sticky all the way around. I geuss this will work? Maybe call Alan and ask him this exact same thing?

We need a new Forum section, 'Go Ask Alan'. I ordered one tonight, too many rave reviews.

You will love it Cory! They are the best thing next to sliced bread of course! Lol

I have a Remora holster and think you might have an issue wearing it OWB between the pants and a thick belt. Otherwise a great holster.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I'm a Remora fan, but I don't think your idea will work. It kind of defeats the purpose. I agree Alan is awesome and will answer your question promptly. Ask him.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I have a Remora Inside the Waste Band holster that works outta sight for my G-19. I have had it for 3 weeks and it just works and sticks to all my underwear! Good cover and access to it!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

OP here.

If I would slouch really far toward the gun side while on a hard bench, the seat could theoretically push upward on the holster and unseat it. I tried it, an I can make it shift a bit, but nothing more. You also feel the tug and pull. In other words, you feel it happening, so you would stop the extreme slouching (which I wouldn't do anyway.) I guess I'm saying that I still think this might work, but can imagine a possible extreme situation where it might not.

Jacqui from REMORA here~Ya'll can start a new thread called "Ask Jacqui" lol..We have never used the holster outside the waistband..We don't recommend using it this way because even with a thick belt, There could be a possibility of shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberaspen View Post
    Jacqui from REMORA here~
    Thanks for chiming in. It's nice to know that you're scanning the the forum. "Ya'll" sure must be happy with all the praise!

Links