First Time OWB Carry

First Time OWB Carry

This is a discussion on First Time OWB Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I came home from work to find a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake for my SP101 in the mailbox. I generally carry a Glock ...

First Time OWB Carry

Yesterday I came home from work to find a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake for my SP101 in the mailbox. I generally carry a Glock 19 IWB in a FIST #1A, and was having some serious doubts as to the concealability of a 3" .357 OWB. I tried it on; under just a black tshirt it didn't stick out any more than my G19, possibly less so. Adding in a flannel shirt and a polar fleece vest (it's a mild winter here in WV, but still cold) it was invisible.

I originally bought the holster for woods carry while hiking out in no man's land, but it turns out to be not only easy to conceal but MUCH more comfortable than IWB for me. The sheer size of the holster makes it seem glaringly obvious, but at a bonefire my cousin was having last night not one person noticed.

Now I'm faced with the delimma of which gun to carry. I like them both, so I guess it comes down to a matter of capacity, power, and comfort. I didn't feel undergunned with the SP101, so it's currently winning out on the comfort aspect alone. I realize the G19 may be a "better" choice, with 15+1 rounds of pretty good sd ammo, but I really like having a revolver on my hip. This is the kind of problem that it's nice to have. For a long time I didn't understand why people didn't just stick to one gun; now I'm starting to see why.

I'm glad to know you found something that works. Just bare in mind that a revolver might not be enough capacity wise when it comes down to it. Read the story about the marine here that was at subway and two guys took him in the restroom. Opened my eyes for sure.

I agree about the capacity being a problem. I mainly bought the .357 for a camping/woods gun. I do like carrying it, but I still think in the back of my mind that the Glock is a better choice in general.

I suppose I could carry both. Seems like overkill though.

Administrator
    Folks generally find OWB to be more comfortable than IWB. Much depends on if a person is able to wear an untucked shirt or not.
    For "casual carry" people should at least try OWB carry with a good gun belt and holster.

We cannot (usually) OC here in FL, but when traveling north, I have carried OC...just to try it.
    I CC for a long time, but OC did seem a bit strange...and a little more comfy...and no one seemed to care.

Of your selection, I'd OC the G-19.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not OCing anything. I like the secret gun. I'm just having a lot of luck CCing a .357 OWB with more comfort than an IWB Glock. I may buy a similar holster for my Glock. I wear whatever I want to work, usually a tshirt and an untucked flannel shirt. My wife hasn't even noticed the SP101, so far.
    Last edited by WvHiker; February 26th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.

I sure like the design of the silver dollar. The name says it all. Simply Rugged.

Links