Arizona CCW question.

This is a discussion on Arizona CCW question. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to this site, but so far I am loving it. Spent the passed few days browsing the Arizona Constitution and gun laws as well ...

Thread: Arizona CCW question.

Arizona CCW question.

New to this site, but so far I am loving it. Spent the passed few days browsing the Arizona Constitution and gun laws as well as several other sites and can't seem to find much specific information on using a holster during CCW. I have a denim vest I wear a lot and would rather just tuck my Ruger P95 9mm in there (if fits like a dream in this vest) when I am not just OC. Anyone have any insight as to if carrying concealed without a holster is illegal? I can't seem to find anything specific saying you can or can't and would love any other opinions out there.
    =)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

It is not illegal in Arizona, but also not a very good idea... You may want to consider issues such as retention and trigger cover...
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Yep - just as Mr. Dragon said - holster not required by law - but let good sense prevail, and use a holster.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I don't normally do that, as when I usually conceal its with a big coat covering my hip holster. Looked into some of those internal holsters but my Ruger P95 is just so bulky it doesnt work so well. Its like trying to holster and conceal a Highpoint.
    I was more so concerned about it if its late and I need to make a run to the store or a more run down part of town and dont feel like completely rearranging my attire to conceal. I usually open carry anyways but sometimes I would just rather conceal so I don't deal with all of the sheep leering at me like I am going to rob them...

Where in Arizona do you live that you can wear a big coat. In the valley I would find that suspicious most of the year. My light jacket has not even seen much use this winter.

I'm in Glendale right on the edge of Phoenix. We have had it decently cold but I haven't worn that coat for about 2 months now. Just been OC for a while. Its not a thick coat either, just hangs lower and I am a very thin guy haha. SO me wearing a coat in 60-70 degree weather isn't that odd.

I'd agree with previous posts, no holster is bad news. My buddy is in Tucson, thin guy who wears nothing but white t-shirts and he conceals his S&W 9mm with a CrossBreed Supertuck just fine. I just ordered a Remora for my M&P9c for those "quick runs to the store". Hoping to see it next week! Maybe save up for a single-stack 9mm? That's what I'd do...if I had the money.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

I've been thinking about selling my Ruger and the Beretta .22lr I have and just putting that towards a nicer 9mm but have only recently been crossing that bridge. I will have to look into some of those other holsters and see if they would fit my Ruger alright. The damn thing is so bulky lol.
    This is my BOOMstick

For quick on-and-off, you might consider a paddle holster... but that P95 is a bit on the bulky side any way you slice it. Maybe save up for something more concealable, like the baby Glocks, compact Kahrs, or even a J-frame?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    PLEASE use a holster that Adequately covers the trigger guard. I understand that it may be inconvenient bulky and difficult to conceal but you never know what will get inside of the guard and pull that trigger if it isn't covered. The inconvenience and legal impact, not to mention the danger of an accidental or negligent discharge is not worth risking.

I wear vests often, and when I do I often use a quality shoulder rig. That may be something you could look into since it is possible to conceal a fairly large pistol like yours this way. I have 3 shoulder holsters and the one I use most often is the Desantis patriot rig. You can get it a Cabelas or online for 60 to 70 bucks.
    Mostly though I use a crossbreed supertuck or a kholster, both are quality IWB holsters and very comfortable.

This is just what works for me and your preferences may(and probably will) differ but, wether it is legal or not, I definately DO NOT recommend carrying without a holster.

Good Luck
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Actually my brother got a shoulder holster from a buddy of his when he got his .45 and he hates it so he was planning to give it to me. I tried it out once before and my Ruger fits is pretty nicely. Never tried throwing my vest or any jacket over it but thinking about it I am sure it would be concealed pretty well. I will probably go down that route as I love shoulder holsters and am RARELY not wearing a vest/jacket/unbuttoned shirt of some sort these days. And when I'm not I almost always OC anyways.
    And yea, I planned to eventually trade up and either sell my current handguns and put that towards a new one or just save for a long while. I like the Taurus 9mm (not sure what the exact make/model was) and a few others like the Sigs and such but thats a whole different ballgame.
    Thanks TONS for all of the feedback guys, it has been very insightful!
    =)
    Happy Hunting!
    This is my BOOMstick

Quote Originally Posted by Varthrias View Post
    New to this site, but so far I am loving it. Spent the passed few days browsing the Arizona Constitution and gun laws as well as several other sites and can't seem to find much specific information on using a holster during CCW. I have a denim vest I wear a lot and would rather just tuck my Ruger P95 9mm in there (if fits like a dream in this vest) when I am not just OC. Anyone have any insight as to if carrying concealed without a holster is illegal? I can't seem to find anything specific saying you can or can't and would love any other opinions out there.
    =)
    Thanks in advance!
    Never EVER carry without protecting the trigger.... if you insist on mexican carry than look at the options in this thread:

World's Smallest for Glock Only

I know Dale Fricke will make one for you

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I strongly recommend a holster. It might save your butt in the long run.

Links