D.M. Bullard Bodyguard - Superb OWB Concealment

This is a discussion on D.M. Bullard Bodyguard - Superb OWB Concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TJK68 This holster is designed to be worn right above the back pocket, over the kidney area, not on ones side, hence ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D.M. Bullard Bodyguard - Superb OWB Concealment

holster design essentials

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    This holster is designed to be worn right above the back pocket, over the kidney area, not on ones side, hence the extreme cant. As far as the comment about Mr. Bullards lack of knowledge about holster making, well I think he has been around quite awhile making quality rigs from everything I have heard and read.
    My first comment to the OP was "The holster designer has a weak grasp of the basics; make sure the mag button is clear on your left-hander, (can't tell from your pic) because if he's using the same patterns to build a rightie, it will NOT clear. And the carry angle is extreme, justified only by the short barrel on your pistol (but the holster is clearly designed to accomodate all the 1911 barrel lengths, in which case a 5" muzzle will show through clothing). Perhaps in SOB carry this angle could be suitable. But regardless, check out that mag button clearance."

There I addressed your view of the the carry angle: worn as he had it, the design is inadequate. The mag button clearance is essential; to ignore it is unforgiveable in a designer/maker. And there are several more clues in the design and assembly of the item that suggest that the basics are not understood and so are not present. Holster design has come a long way since Roy Baker's original pancake of the 70s, and this designer is not employing these advances.

Any/all my comments on this forum are meant to add to the knowledge base of its users, and are not meant to be 'bitchy'. They could even help some makers to 'lift their game'!

2. Remove Ads

make sure the mag button is clear on your left-hander
    Consider the widely loved Crossbreed. All of them have leather over the mag release.
    I don't hear a lot of stories about mags falling out.
    I asked R. Grizzle to make a holster for my Sig 238 and wanted more leather to cover the safety,
    but he refused to cover the mag button.
    I'm liking the euro mag release better and better.

But, I have a couple of Bullard's Bodyguards, and they are fine holsters, IMO.
    My latest is a Bodyguard, in ostrich, lined, for my Sig 225. What a beauty! (Took a long time to get.)

Now what about the top of that holster is it Reinforced against collapse,? From the photo's it does not look like it has any rigid to the top of it.? Can someone comment on this.? As I really like the looks of this holster, his web site does not mention the top of this holster. I figured with ordering it in Black for $10.00 more + A smooth lining inside the holster $25.00+ apx Shp all in all I am looking ov a cost of apx $130.00

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY HARRY View Post
    Now what about the top of that holster is it Reinforced against collapse,? From the photo's it does not look like it has any rigid to the top of it.? Can someone comment on this.? As I really like the looks of this holster, his web site does not mention the top of this holster. I figured with ordering it in Black for $10.00 more + A smooth lining inside the holster $25.00+ apx Shp all in all I am looking ov a cost of apx $130.00
    The Bodyguard isn't a reinforced design and since it is worn OWB it doesn't really need to be. A non-reinforced holster worn IWB would collapse due to the tension of the belt and pants waistband placed upon it and re-holstering could be problematic one handed. But, a holster worn OWB doesn't have those forces acting upon it and will remain open and easy to re-holster your weapon. I haven't experienced any problems with re-holstering my 1911 in the Bodyguard I own.

Hey im new to this so i hope i do it right. I own 3 bodyguards and find them to be great holsters. I have one of his belts as well. Excellent quality

Hi Red,

If I knew you personally I'd probably suggest you do a little more research before posting such strong critisism of someone else's work when all you've seen is a couple of photos. And before this goes further no I do not know DM Bullard personally either. What I do know is what I see on my Dual Carry which is the IWB veriosn of the Bodyguard in this thread.

It is high quality leather with a clean, smooth finish and double stiching throughout. It is very well made.
    Reagrding the mag release I guess it mat be slightly dependant on the pistol but I know that on my M&Pc and my LC9 the mag release is clear and does not get hit by the leather in any way. As a matter of fact the leather is actually dimpled out next to the release to provide some protection from what in may case would be called love handles.
    The cant is more extreme that the standard 12-15 degree we see on many holsters. As a matter of fact mine measure right at about 23 degrees, measured as you noted before. What do you know, it's dead on to what you call "the optimum angle."

And just to note, the mouth on the Dual Carry IWB is reinforced.

Is it a holster for 3-3:30? No.
    Is it a small of the back holster? Definitely not for many reasons. The main one is that good SOB holsters generally invert the pistol so the mag is pointing up. This is the only way to keep from pointing the muzzle at your thigh during draw. Which I would expect anyone with a good grasp of the basic to know.

Both holsters are designed for 4-5:00 (7-8:00 for for lefties).

In my opinion, which I base on personal experience and facts gained after actually using more than one of these holsters, this is an extremely well designed and well made holster and I would guess, again this is my opinion based on what I have experienced first hand, that Dave Bullard makes one of the best holsters I have seen to date. However like all holsters it may not be for everybody.

Your opinions, experiences, and any relationship to facts, may vary...

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Matthew, it is the same holster. The OP is just wearing his too far forward so the belt is pulling the rear belt loop under the holster.

I purchased a owb for my P238 done in crocodile from Dave, and while not cheap, I think it was agreat deal, and one of the finest holsters you can ever buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Matthew, it is the same holster. The OP is just wearing his too far forward so the belt is pulling the rear belt loop under the holster.
    You are correct Maxwell. I prefer to wear mine much farther back @ 5-5:30 where this design really shines.

5-5:30 is just a little too uncomfortable to sit in for me. I've done too much damage to my lower back over the long hard years. What i do like is that carrying it further back than the standard 3-3:30 conceals better if my top shirt blows open in the wind.

I picked up the same holster some time back for my 1911s. I'm not a huge fan of IWB holsters, although I own my share! The price and quality of the Bullard are very good and the widely spaced belt loops really spread the weight. I like the extra cant for concealment and drawing a pistol, but it took time to get used to re-holstering for me.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Whoever said that this holster is a poor design....doesn't know what they are talking about.
    This design allows me to carry this 3.75" single action revolver under a simple untucked tee shirt with ease, and remain undetected.
    This is because it is designed to be worn just behind the hip, with aggressive forward cant.
    Great holster maker!

Does anyone know if Bullard has a walk in shop? I don't live far and thought I would stop in to "try on" one of his holsters.

Administrator
    He is selling on Ebay. I'm best guessing you could buy one and then return it for a refund (unaltered/undamaged) if it was not working out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by FPP777 View Post
    Does anyone know if Bullard has a walk in shop? I don't live far and thought I would stop in to "try on" one of his holsters.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post

Whoever said that this holster is a poor design....doesn't know what they are talking about.
    This design allows me to carry this 3.75" single action revolver under a simple untucked tee shirt with ease, and remain undetected.
    This is because it is designed to be worn just behind the hip, with aggressive forward cant.
    Great holster maker!
    A SA just looks classy carried as a CCW. I would also assume upon seeing someone carrying a SA sixgun that the individual was proficient in it's use. NICE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links