D.M. Bullard Bodyguard - Superb OWB Concealment

This is a discussion on D.M. Bullard Bodyguard - Superb OWB Concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I mentioned in another thread I'm not personally a fan of IWB holsters, and have been scouting out OWB holsters that offer good concealment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As I mentioned in another thread I'm not personally a fan of IWB holsters, and have been scouting out OWB holsters that offer good concealment for my new Kimber Ultra CDP II. I first purchased a Silent Thunder STX Champion, which is excellent in every respect. Last week, however, I saw that D.M. Bullard had the correct size Bodyguard in stock, so I ordered it online and received it in a matter of days.

While this holster may not reach the outer levels of quality (or price -- it cost just $75) seen in certain other holsters, it is of very good quality and there was no wait for it at all. It offers excellent concealment, and under a thin shirt or jacket there is no printing at all. Fit was perfect out of the box -- no plastic baggies required -- and draw is fast (for me) and smooth.

The cant is a bit more extreme than you might be used to, but that is why the bottom of the holster barely extends below the belt line. After a few practice draws I'd gotten used to the cant.

I believe this is the holster I will use more than any other, and based on price, quality and speed of order fulfillment, I would highly recommend it if OWB concealment is your top priority. (BTW, I'm right-handed; the pics are a mirror image.)

You will appreciate the extra forward cant if you have to draw while seated. Nice holster...enjoy!

Thanks, great point! I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

I use one of his Dual Carry holsters. It's the IWB version of the Bodyguard and I like it a lot. It's designed for wearing a little farther back than you have it, which is why the cant is extreme. It's great quality and a well made holster and for me very comfortable.

Looks like a very good holster. Enjoy.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I carry a Colt Combat Elite in one on occasion. I find the extreme forward cant helps to conceal the 5" Government Model well under a polo or untucked T.
    DSC00776.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Looks like an interesting holster. I would be hesitant about such an extreme can't but I can see it aiding in concealment. I think if I wore it at the 8:00 or 7:00 position it might work. (I am a lefty.)

Toorop, 7 or 8 for a lefty is exactly where this holster carries best, any further forward and drawing would become problematic. The Bodyguard's best attribute is being able to conceal a longer barrel length OWB.

The holster designer has a weak grasp of the basics; make sure the mag button is clear on your left-hander, (can't tell from your pic) because if he's using the same patterns to build a rightie, it will NOT clear. And the carry angle is extreme, justified only by the short barrel on your pistol (but the holster is clearly designed to accomodate all the 1911 barrel lengths, in which case a 5" muzzle will show through clothing). Perhaps in SOB carry this angle could be suitable. But regardless, check out that mag button clearance.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I'm not quite following you rednichols, look at the picture I posted of a right handed 5" model below the OP's post. It looks like the OP's Bodyguard and the Bodyguard I own are designed slightly differently as well. I have a trailing rear belt loop and the Op's seems to be hidden under the holster body. The mag release on my version is uncovered while the Op's seems covered from the left side slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I'm not quite following you rednichols, look at the picture I posted of a right handed 5" model below the OP's post. It looks like the OP's Bodyguard and the Bodyguard I own are designed slightly differently as well. I have a trailing rear belt loop and the Op's seems to be hidden under the holster body. The mag release on my version is uncovered while the Op's seems covered from the left side slightly.
    My post was directed to the OP, but since you ask: your holster pic shows a holster having a carry angle of 45 degrees, which is double what it should be, to give the wearer the optimum combination of (1) concealment of a 5" pistol, (2) comfort, because you'll be carrying it more minutes of the day than you'll be drawing it, and (3) natural grasping angle for the hand, when carried on the strong side. The pic I've included of a 5" being carried in a similar holster (taken from the stickie on this forum tagged "how do you carry your pistol") shows the optimum angle for all three functions, which is 23-25 degrees (the included angle between a vertical line that might be your trousers seam, and the top of the pistol's slide [NOT the stitchline along the holster at that point]).

Looking at your holster pic, assuming it's the same designer/maker as the OP's, reinforces my view that the basics of good design have been ignored. That the basics of good leatherwork are there is simply not good enough when a weapon is involved. BTW, the OP's holster is also a 'pancake' like yours, with the rearmost slot simply twisted out of position and therefore out of sight.

DSC00776.jpgIMG_1481 (2).JPG
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I completely understood your post was directed at the OP's pic, I commented because both holsters are the same model.

I just wanted to try and understand your post and thoughts on the rig.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    My post was directed to the OP, but since you ask: your holster pic shows a holster having a carry angle of 45 degrees, which is double what it should be, to give the wearer the optimum combination of (1) concealment of a 5" pistol, (2) comfort, because you'll be carrying it more minutes of the day than you'll be drawing it, and (3) natural grasping angle for the hand, when carried on the strong side. The pic I've included of a 5" being carried in a similar holster (taken from the stickie on this forum tagged "how do you carry your pistol") shows the optimum angle for all three functions, which is 23-25 degrees (the included angle between a vertical line that might be your trousers seam, and the top of the pistol's slide [NOT the stitchline along the holster at that point]).

Looking at your holster pic, assuming it's the same designer/maker as the OP's, reinforces my view that the basics of good design have been ignored. That the basics of good leatherwork are there is simply not good enough when a weapon is involved. BTW, the OP's holster is also a 'pancake' like yours, with the rearmost slot simply twisted out of position and therefore out of sight.

DSC00776.jpgIMG_1481 (2).JPG
    This holster is designed to be worn right above the back pocket, over the kidney area, not on ones side, hence the extreme cant. As far as the comment about Mr. Bullards lack of knowledge about holster making, well I think he has been around quite awhile making quality rigs from everything I have heard and read.

Red, I agree with about the cant as I had the same concern when I use my Dual Carry IWB at 3 o'clock. At 4-4.30 the cant is very natural. It's even better at 5 o'clock, but I don't carry that far back.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Nice looking rig!

As long as you're happy with it...thats all that matters.
    Personally, I like a lot of forward cant, it conceals much easier.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links