Just Got Remora Pleased But Have Questions/Comments

This is a discussion on Just Got Remora Pleased But Have Questions/Comments within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my remora today and took it for a walk to the park and grocery store. Very comfortable and secure and my 642 rides ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just Got Remora Pleased But Have Questions/Comments

Just got my remora today and took it for a walk to the park and grocery store. Very comfortable and secure and my 642 rides well and disappears in the love handles. I know I'm going to love it. What it may not do well for me is work as a off on holster which I expected and is why I got the reinforced top. What doesn't work is the reholstering. I'm looking for advice. Maybe I'm wearing it too low or something. I think it would work with an auto but the cylinder on the revolver catches the lip of the holster and has to be worked in if you can work it in so I think the regular would have been just as good and the rubber material folded inside the seam creates friction going in. Both tend to push the holster down and so far make it difficult if not impossible to reholster. It definitely can't be done descretely. The rubber also seems to cause excessive resistance when drawing. I'm still more than pleased and will probably be even more so after wearing for a few days but two of my issues remain unless someone here has a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    What it may not do well for me is work as a off on holster which I expected and is why I got the reinforced top. What doesn't work is the reholstering. I'm looking for advice. Maybe I'm wearing it too low or something. I think it would work with an auto but the cylinder on the revolver catches the lip of the holster and has to be worked in if you can work it in so I think the regular would have been just as good and the rubber material folded inside the seam creates friction going in. Both tend to push the holster down and so far make it difficult if not impossible to reholster. It definitely can't be done descretely.
    - I think your body type is going to play a large role in the ease of reholstering. I don't have a reinforced top on any of my Remora holsters and am able to reholster my semi-automatics relatively easily. My S&W 638 is more difficult simply because of the cylinder.

The rubber also seems to cause excessive resistance when drawing. I'm still more than pleased and will probably be even more so after wearing for a few days but two of my issues remain unless someone here has a solution.
    - Try drawing from different angles to see if that helps. I left my 638 in the holster for a few days and it seemed to make drawing a lot easier.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I just take the gun and holster out together as a unit. I only use my Remora for CCW so if I draw, it will be for real. I would just remove the holster, place the gun inside, and replace it IWB. Probably not the best range holster for multiple presentations, but for deep concealment, it's great.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

remoras are great concealment holsters, it's not so great as a range holster.

I think it will get better after the holster wears a bit or the gun stays in it. I had planned on removing the holster if needed but like I said its about impossible to put back in without undoing the pants. I think it's going to work better with jeans but we'll see. This is not a problem because it's going to stay put but I would like to reholster. I agree if you have to draw you won't worry about reholstering but if your running around much there so many places you can't carry that you have to reholster or remove and replace the holster. I'm experimenting wearing with sweats tonight and it's working great but I don't know that I could ever have complete confidence in this. I think pocket carry will still be my preference but time will tell.

I use mine as Crescentstar describes. I remove the entire holster with gun inside. That's actually one of the features that I really like. I have a daily routine that requires me to take the gun off and on quite a bit. Taking the holster and gun out together significantly reduces the possibility of an ND since the trigger is always protected. And at least for me putting the gun and holster (together) back in my pants is pretty easy. My gun literally never leaves the holster during the day. I carry AIWB with the Remora.

I share the sentiment of others that use for training is probably not a good idea. If my gun comes out of the holster, I'm either putting it in the lockbox for the night or I'm going to shoot someone. I never imagine having to reholster with the Remora in my pants.

Hope this helped,
    Doc

So what's you guys secret or technique to getting it in and out of you waist band so easy. I might could do it appendix carry but I'm too fat for that.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    You might also be wearing your belt/pants too tight. Try loosening your belt a little.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Since I carry AIWB I just suck in my tummy. I admit it's not as easy to remove/replace when carrying at 3:00 or 4:00.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    Since I carry AIWB I just suck in my tummy. I admit it's not as easy to remove/replace when carrying at 3:00 or 4:00.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Doc
    I think your right. I still think it going to be my favorite for regular carry an I like it much better than my mtac and think its going to be great for my XDSC. For a lot of running around where I might have to take my weapon off and on I may have to stick with the pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    You might also be wearing your belt/pants too tight. Try loosening your belt a little.
    You know you may be right. I'm used to keeping it tight to secure the holsters. With this one I may be able to loosen it a bit to allow the top to open more.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You know you may be right. I'm used to keeping it tight to secure the holsters. With this one I may be able to loosen it a bit to allow the top to open more.
    Definitely can be the case. As a new idea in a holster, where you are used to something "holding it in place" I found that I was concerned it would just fall down my pants leg so I really "hinched up" the string holding my sport pants or shorts to the extent that it became obvious that I was also constricting the bottom half of the holster and not allowing the firearm to slide in place. I have a large frame semi (FN5.7X28) and not a revolver. Once I got used to it not falling down my pants, everything got easier.

I just got 2 remoras one for SP-101 and one for lcr. Carried the lcr on a 1 hour walk wearing sweat pants. I wasn't real confident at first it kinda felt like it would go down the leg at anytime. I found it to be very stable and never really moved . I have yet to try the sp-101 which is heavier I'll give it a go soon. I think it's just a matter of working out your own procedures for reholstering ect. I'm pleased with the holsters and quick service of Remora.

After practicing reholstering with my reinforced top remora (which I wear 4:00..I'm a lefty)and an unloaded gun, I decided I would not reholster a loaded weapon in the remora. This is not a dig at Remora, I really do not like reholstering with any leather IWB holster, there is just too large a possibility for a mishap. I have used a number of reinforced and unreinforced leather IWB holsters and although I am using the Remora most of the time now now for my Kahr, my other favorite holster is a Tucker Gunleather non-reinforced, so as you can see, I am used to not reholstering in a IWB holster.

When I go to the range, I wear an OWB and when I want to practice my presentation, I use an unloaded gun at home. I do not have experience with a Kydex IWB and that may be different, but between moving your cover garment up and squeezing a gun into a holster when you may well be wearing tight pants ( I do not buy a size larger to accomodate an IWB) or a tight belt, it does not seem to be a particularly safe practice to reholster a loaded gun in an IWB. Moreover, I really do not see the need to practice reholstering with a remora; all you need to do is suck in your breath, pull out the remora and replace the gun in the holster, then you can loosen your belt a bit and replace the holster with the gun.

I admit that one of the results of what I have described is that I not do much live fire practice with an IWB and that certainly violates the principal of 'train like you fight' On the other hand, If I ever had to shoot someone, I would probably be better off with the gun off my waist and in the holster when the cops arrived on the scene. Do you guys think I am being too much of a safely freak?

I can't really just suck in my gut to pull the holster in and out because I'm wearing it about 3:30 to 4:00. I'm going to try different methods and carry to see how it works. In sweats, basketball shorts, etc it actually seemed very secure but I just don't think that I will ever be able to run with it, figuratively speaking. It's just to big of a liability to have your gun fall out and I don't want to lose my license either. Nothing is 100% but I would just feel better with it in a pocket or possibly a SmartCarry which I have yet to try. That being said, I am about to order one for my XD and my Bersa 380. I probably will go with the reinforced top again because I don't think I will have the same issues with an auto. Although, now that I've tried it, I'm finding that the 642 really does conceal better for me. I think it's that small handle. It just doesn't stick out like the autos and just melts into the fat rolls. It doesn't poke me like the auto's either. After reading another post here about the number of shots and reloads in citizen incidents, I tend to buy that I don't really need the XD with full clip. However, in those situations where it would still give me a warm and fuzzy, I think my next Remora is going to be perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links