Thoughts on paddle holster carry with suit? - Page 2

Thoughts on paddle holster carry with suit?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on paddle holster carry with suit? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out the "Extreme Cant Paddle" from RocketMan Holsters. I have never seen another paddle holster that is as comfortable or conceals as well....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on paddle holster carry with suit?

Check out the "Extreme Cant Paddle" from RocketMan Holsters. I have never seen another paddle holster that is as comfortable or conceals as well.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

VIP Member
    I'm not a big fan of paddle holsters, they tend to allow the gun to stick out from the body. I prefer a IWB holster with a j-hook belt clip for easy of putting it on and taking it off. The link is to what I normally carry in.

"Cover Up" IWB

The nice thing about this holster is that you can easily adjust the cant and the depth it rides.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Alessi CQC/S would be a lot more concealable, and user friendly since you'll be taking it off when going to court.

As someone else mentioned, the fit of the jacket and body type will play a huge role in how much printing will occur.
    tmoore912 likes this.

My Galco Shoulder Holster prints the least and it is also the holster I tend to go with the most. It is also relatively easy to take off and put back on, but I do own a Galco Yaqui (sp?) paddle holster as well. With the right belt, it is very good. It does tend to print some if I am not careful, but I have worn it a lot. You might want to look into it. It "ain't" a bad way to carry.

I'm happy with the Wild Bill Fusion paddle holster for my Glock 30. It's comfortable, adjusts for cant, and is easy to put on and take off. It prints more than an IWB on me, so requires some attention to cover garments. Otherwise, I use a Don Hume IWB for the Glock. It's also easy to put on and take off, at least for me.

Most paddle holsters I've experimented with seem to do a less-than-stellar job of keeping the gun close to the body. I can usually remedy this somewhat by tightening my belt more than normal, but not only does this take away some comfort, it also makes it harder to take off the paddle-holster, which seems to make it pointless for me. Another thing to keep in mind about paddle holsters is compatibility with whatever pants you're wearing. A lot of my dress pants have a fold of cloth around the waistband (I'm no tailor so I'm not sure what it's called) and a couple of my paddle-holsters can get caught there, and you either have to yank them out (which can tear the inside of your pants) or completely unbutton/unzip your pants and loosen your belt just to get them off. If you decide to go OWB, I'd go with some sort of leather or leather/kydex combo holster that rides close to the body. I personally like the Raven Concealment Phantom series holsters, but that's just me.

One thing you might consider is bringing your gun to a local gun show at some point. Not sure about the shows in your area, but all the gun shows I've been to usually have one or two custom holster makers that can fashion a holster for your gun pretty quickly. You can choose the style and weather you want leather, kydex, or both. Just something to think about!

I also agree with some of the other posters in that you might consider just leaving the holster on after taking the gun off. Unless the holster is unusually bulky, you shouldn't have any problem with the holster printing.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Thanks for the responses, everyone. After much consideration, I've decided to abandon the search for a paddle holster for the reasons previous posters have described. Instead, I've ordered the service grade Max Con V IWB holster from Brommeland Gun Leather. I spoke to Gary's wife over the phone and she was wonderful to deal with. They should be able to make one that accommodates my crimson trace laser grip with no problem. Now all I need to do is get shopping for some nice, dressy 1.5inch gun belts. :)

Congrats on your purchase! I own a couple Blackhawk dress belts and they work nicely BLACKHAWK! CQC Pistol Belts - BLACKHAWK!

Good luck!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by frcp14 View Post
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. After much consideration, I've decided to abandon the search for a paddle holster for the reasons previous posters have described. Instead, I've ordered the service grade Max Con V IWB holster from Brommeland Gun Leather. I spoke to Gary's wife over the phone and she was wonderful to deal with. They should be able to make one that accommodates my crimson trace laser grip with no problem. Now all I need to do is get shopping for some nice, dressy 1.5inch gun belts. :)
    I recommend A&G Custom Gun Leather belts. I have three, but use his 1.25" for dress belts. The Brommeland Max Con should serve you well and last a lifetime. I use the MiltSparks SSII or VMII while wearing suits and sport coats.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I'm an attorney as well (don't hold it against me...) and our courthouse prohibits cc as well. I'm generally making two to three trips to the courthouse each day. I carry every day in either an iwb or owb belt holster. I typically just lock my weapon in the car in a safe under the seat and leave my belt holster on. If you have a secure place to lock your weapon (sounds like your desk drawer would do) I don't see why that isn't a viable option for you as well. You're just as unarmed and vulnerable with an empty holster as with no holster. Hope that helps. I just joined the forum...thanks for having me.

Your situation is exactly what paddle holsters are made for. While some others may conceal a bit better, the paddle holster can be a very secure carry method. I'm an executive protection officer for a high profile elected official, wear a suit and carry a full size pistol under a suit coat every day at work. You may need to let out your suit coats a bit, or buy them a bit larger and leave the coat unbuttoned. Not the most fashionable method, but there are priorities. Most tailors are familiar with the needs of concealed pistol carriers.

Check with some of your more experienced local detectives and see how they carry.

Educate your presiding judge on the joys of being able to defend himself / herself in the courtroom. In the large city I work in, many judges are armed in the courtroom. What happens if the bailiff is the first victim, who is then disarmed?
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

First thanks for what you do! Second, how about a leather belt holster (to avoid setting off the detectors) and just securing the firearm inside the court house? In this case you will still be armed in transit to and from, still comply with the court house rules, and not have to worry about "printing", or the "issues" that come along with a paddle holster like sudden snatching, it moving or sliding ect...

Good luck to you and practice practice practice which ever you decide!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links