CCW Clothing you hate/love - Page 10

CCW Clothing you hate/love

This is a discussion on CCW Clothing you hate/love within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always worn cargo's so it doesn't bother me to walk around in pants that look "tactical", plus I like a lot of pockets. Really ...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: CCW Clothing you hate/love

I've always worn cargo's so it doesn't bother me to walk around in pants that look "tactical", plus I like a lot of pockets. Really like 5.11's Covert Cargo pants; the mag dividers in the cargo pockets are perfect for a glasses case or a tactical flashlight.
    Also I really like Duluth Trading's clothing. They tend to be over sized, so work real well for concealed carry.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Distinguished Member
    At 6'3" and 300+ pounds, nothing I wear could ever look "tactical". My work-day attire is generally black or dark gray "casual slacks", almost exclusively a blend of cotton & linen and a loose fitting polo shirt, tucked in over a P238 in a N82 tuckable at 2:30. On non-work days, it's sometimes just the same as during the week, but more often it's either light cotton or linen "drawstring" pants with a loose fitting henly or tie-dye t-shirt, untucked. On those drawstring/no-belt days, the P238 rides in a Remora and stays put quite nicely. In either case, when I hop in the truck to drive somewhere, the weapon moves to the 10:30 position in a cross-draw position, IWB, but often over the shirt to minimized deployment interference. I'm so non-tactical it hurts
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Eichorn mentioned Duluth Trading and they do have some good quality clothing. I recently acquired a pair of their suspenders designed to be worn under the shirt. Summertime shorts that I can locate and/or afford lack a left rear pocket and the prerequisite belt loops for CCW. The string inside the waistband won't support my shorts, wallet, cell phone, keys, etc let alone my J-frame which is the smallest firearm I own. At appx $25/pair + shipping they are not inexpensive but they are comfortable and mean the difference to me if I'm armed or not when the temps are triple digits. Note to you motorcycle rider types - Duluth’s wide leather ’spenders of the same design will take the weight of those heavy leather chaps off of your hips & lower back when you’re off of the bike.

+1 First Sgt. Carry On!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

I wear what ever I want the carry method and the weapon need to fit me not the other way around. I do not wear special clothing to carry.
    I do have options as far as holsters and weapons depending on my need.

I really like wearing regular untucked shirts. My favorite style of shirts are square bottomed Cubavera shirts. They are dressier and neater than the regular shirt giving me the option to wear with slacks and still be half dressed up when going to work on dress down day and casual Fridays. The Cubavera shirts can be found at the department stores (Macy's etc) between $55-100, however you can find them at Marshall's and steinmart from $12-30.

As a cover jacket/vest, I use a Israeli bodyguard jacket. I really like it as it does not look tactical and it's length and fit has been perfect for concealing any gear on my belt. When ordering one, order one size up as they tend to run smaller than we are accustomed to.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Love: Any loose, patterned shirt with longer tails that will conceal and owb holster. Duluth Manufacturing "Long-tail" tees.
    Hate: A vest just isn't cutting it here in S. FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Hate: Shirts that are "form-fighting" or designed to be "tight", I'm buying XL, what guy buying an XL shirt wants it tight!? Jeans with tiny pockets (I often pocket carry), cargo shorts with extra thick pocket linings (feel like they'll mess up my EDC knife clip?), jeans with hardly any belt loops (I've had ones with ONE in the back, one on each outside hip, and two in the front? That ain't enough!)

Love: Polos with "wicking" material that fall naturally, some botton down shirts, cargo jeans with larger "normal" pockets and extra side pockets and more belt loops. Most modern brand-name Kahkis are AMAZING IMHO-they are more comfortable than jeans and often the brands pride themselves on number of pockets and size of pockets, so even if I'm not pocket carrying I've got room for stuff.

I don't worry too much about looking "tactical", most guys that I see wear cargo shorts in the summer and cargo jeans in the winter so its not a big deal.My Wilderness instructor belt looks "different" than your average when I have my shirt tucked in, but nobody seems to really notice or say anything,and with the crazy styles and things people are wearing these days I could easily just write it off as "I thought it looked cool so I bought it online,...?" I am working on "upgrading" my usual t-shirt and jeans to a polo and khakis, I sweat a good bit during spring,summer and early fall and the khakis and "sport" polos are more comfortable and look a little nicer IMHO. Never owned or had an interest in a SMF vest, never heard of them until this website and I can count on 1 hand the number of guys I've seen out and about wearing one.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I personally like wearing tighter shirts and pants. Being able to is one of the good things about working out. But, I can't use my IWB holster when I do becuse of printing with the shirt. I can't pocket carry with tight pants. It is difficult to carry and look good at the same time. Any suggestions??

Defensive Carry Forum or BodyBuilding Forum

Being effectively armed or looking good.

Choices must be made.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a pink tye dyed tshirt that's cut open down the center. It's my all time favorite CCW shirt. I'll throw it over a thin tank with shorts. Easy to slip off when driving with the top down, easy to slip back on before standing up. It's casual and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Defensive Carry Forum or BodyBuilding Forum

Being effectively armed or looking good.

Choices must be made.
    Gonna have to disagree....

As a competitive bodybuilder, I know first hand that there is no need to make a choice. I'm effectively armed and I look good. I also post in both firearms related forums and bodybuilding forums.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    I love anything with the word "tactical" in it. I have tactical bow ties, tactical underwear, tactical pocket protectors, and of course, who goes anywhere without a tactical condom or three?
    Not me. Too much grey in the beard anymore. Last time I walked into a bar full of women, those few that noticed me reckoned I was looking for my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by normAK View Post
    Gonna have to disagree....

As a competitive bodybuilder, I know first hand that there is no need to make a choice. I'm effectively armed and I look good. I also post in both firearms related forums and bodybuilding forums.
    Hah! Good for you!

I'm unable to say that. I'm in my mid-fifties, am effectively armed, look my age, don't care, and don't look in on bodybuilding forums.

Hey Norm;

Tell us how you do it.

Manage to conceal and "look good" that is.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I relegated my "Shoot me First" 5.11 vest to the closet and for IDPA. I just wear baggy sweatshirts or oversized T-shirts. It's the style.

I LOVE my Uncle Mike's Instructor's (Rigger's) Belt. Very inexpensive and sturdy. yes, it's nylon but no one sees it as I wear shirts untucked.

I LOVE my Guayabera (sp?) shirts, Hawaiian shirts and retro bowling shirts. Again, worn untucked.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Links