CCW Clothing you hate/love - Page 3

CCW Clothing you hate/love

This is a discussion on CCW Clothing you hate/love within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty much anything that would require me to grow a mustache and wear a "Van Halen 1983-world tour" You forgot mulletts there, whippersnapper. Sorry old ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: CCW Clothing you hate/love

Pretty much anything that would require me to grow a mustache and wear a "Van Halen 1983-world tour"
    You forgot mulletts there, whippersnapper.

Sorry old timers, but I guess Im part of the young, hip,armed and dangerous generation.
    Pictures, please!

We need a new Sub-Forum obviously, "Dress for Success," to help us "old timers" avoid fashion mistakes. When I am old, I shall wear PURPLE. Even if it's not available at Cabela's or BPS.
    hbc and msgt/ret like this.

Cargo shorts are great for all the above reasons. BUT, black (any length) but especialy knee high socks and birkenstock sandles are not. Love my cargo shorts, love my birkenstocks, black socks everyday for work, but not together. And while on this rant, if you wear a vest to the mall, leave the Winchester AA 25 straight patches and the IDPA Regional Qualifier patch off of it. I have seveal of the first and am very proud of them, but not at the mall. Saw this at the mall in Lubbock, TX a while back. The guy was waiting for his wife or girlfriend out side Victoria's Secret. Saw them both later. Here's the secret, "Just because you CAN buy spandex doesn't mean you SHOULD by spandex".
    NONAME762 likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I think I own one pair of slacks, I know they no longer fit. Same way with the shirt that matches them.

If it's above 75 F I'm wearing shorts with pockets on the side of the knees, call them cargo shorts if you will. If it's not shorts it's jeans. I get front pocket wallets so I don't have to sit on the clump of leather and plastic.

If I'm not at work I'm wearing normal fitting t-shirts or Charlie Sheen style shirts (when I wanna be stylin'). At work I'm able to wear shorts or jeans (yay), but the damn shirts I wear are not cotton and therefore too clingy.

I picked up a vest on clearance at Kohls a year or 2 ago. It is a sport vest, reversible, gray fleece on the hot side, black nylon on the cool side. It has the normal belly area pockets inside and out.

I can't stand the collar and the zipper so I'm on the lookout for a lightweight canvas vest like you'd see someone working at a hardware store wearing. Not a lot of pockets and gizmos, no NRA or assorted gun logos, not a hunting/fishing vest, no off the wall colors, just something simple with maybe an extra pocket or two.

I figure it would be easy to pull off at work were I could put my pen and brain in a breast pocket like in my work shirts. I only wear the thing at work afterall. The one I'm wearing hasn't got me shot yet but it looks like a fleece vest that I see several people wear except theirs say north face or columbia on it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I can't stand the photographer vests and I don't even know why.

I wear vests but only in winter time and they are wool and warm.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

Pictures, please!

We need a new Sub-Forum obviously, "Dress for Success," to help us "old timers" avoid fashion mistakes. When I am old, I shall wear PURPLE. Even if it's not available at Cabela's or BPS.
    Dam! I'm out of silver bullets
    W9HDG and Aphdmansoc like this.

I wear one of these, nobody would ever assume I am carrying

easset_upload_file503_8861_e.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redsaber75 View Post
    I still see people wearing the stupid things. Not sure of it is just old people who don't know any better or CCWers.
    Since you insulted a few of us why don't you tell us what you wear? And I assume you are talking about vests.

It is not nice to post an insult and not even answer the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NONAME762 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

Never mind the vest...this haircut SCREAMS shoot me first! Put me out of my misery.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just wear normal clothes. Normal for me is jeans and hoodies in the winter, and t-shirts and cargo or basketball shorts over the summer. Anything that needs held up is held up with a Wilderness instructor belt or a cheap Wal-Mart belt since I don't want to buy a leather belt while I'm losing weight. I've thought about picking up some 5.11 pants since they look similar to cargo khakis for winter wear and for classes I take over the summer that make you wear pants (as opposed to shorts), although it would be nice to test the effectiveness of my camo boxers.

Being an old, gray, fat guy, I would think I could pull off wearing a vest, especially in cooler weather. I have bought a couple, one of them an expensive leather travel vest that is very conservative, but I just can not bring myself to wear them. If I could stand wearing a vest, it would be a good solution most of the year.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Being old, fat, and gray myself, not to mention cheap, I have come to enjoy the iron-on holster patch (HolsterPatch :: Home). I iron them to a t-shirt right up under my arm, then my daughter sews them on just to be secure. They are comfortable, and I can wear a button-up or pullover shirt over it, and it isn't an attention grabber. If anyone suspects and asks, I'll tell them the lump is an insulin pump. My daughter has worked up a variant of the patch that works even better. I don't wear a vest, because I've never worn them and would look odd changing my mode of dress all of a sudden. Besides, if you've ever experienced a Texas summer, a vest is pretty impractical.
    BadgerJ likes this.

VIP Member
    Summer - cargo shorts & a Hawaii shirt. Birks or sneakers depending on where I am going.

Winter - cargo pants & a button up shirt untucked. Sneakers.

All season - t-shirt (beater) under the outer shirt and Perry suspenders between the shirts. A&G gun belt.

As to the OP's question - if I hate it, I don't have it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, sporty and casual is the norm, so cargo pants, shorts, all sorts of fanny packs, backpacks, messenger packs, vests, whatever, all are pretty unremarkable. Dress like James Bond and you will really stick out, though.

Anyway, I'm in cargo pants and T-shirts for work, sometimes with a Carhartt vest. During the winter, it's jeans or 5.11 tactical station pants and turtlenecks, vest, leather jacket depending on the weather. Summer is jeans or capris with T-shirts. I've certainly never been a girly girl, and my style of dressing didn't really change much at all when I started carrying concealed.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Easy on us vest wearers! I wear fleece vests all winter as I hate the restriction of wearing a coat, especially in the car. Its also nice in a restaurant if its a bit chiily. I have a photog vest I bought in the early 80's I bought to "suprise" wear when I did a lot of photography. Also handy when travelling because of the pockets. Owned it and wore it close to 30 years before I started CC'ing, just a habit. Nobody gives me a second look.

And yes, I carry a 1911...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I'm personally a fan of the way I dress
    I'm 22 and I usually wear what I consider the "I take myself/school serious" college apparel; Button down shirt and nice blue jeans (I wear boot-cut). Sometimes I'll wear a plain-ish long sleeve or T-shirts, almost never with any images, just a brand or logo. I wear a plain shirt underneath my button down shirts that I tuck in between my pants and my crossbreed supertuck. It keeps my shirt from getting stuck on the grip of my XD. I also wear hiking boots (like the ones in the picture below) in the winter and Puma running shoes in the summer. I bike regardless of the weather, so the boots serve an utility. I carry my gun on a black leather gun belt with a Colorado belt buckle (It was my dads and it's where I spread my dad's ashes - he always loved it there). I carry a pocket knife, but that's also not out of place for a lot of people at my school.

And since its always more interesting to look at pictures, here's what I'm wearing today:

IMG_20120313_160754.jpg

I personally don't care what other people wear, so I can't say I hate any particular CCW clothing. I see enough people wearing "combat boots" and camo that I know don't CCW. Most of them just like playing video-games too much. I almost never see anyone with the "shoot me first" vests or fanny packs, the people that do wear fanny packs are usually walking dogs and pull bags out of them.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links