CCW Clothing you hate/love - Page 7

CCW Clothing you hate/love

This is a discussion on CCW Clothing you hate/love within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; grandpa1466, I've never seen the "Holster Patch" before. Sounds interesting. Does it really work well? On the website, it sounds like the patch is sewn ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: CCW Clothing you hate/love

grandpa1466,
    I've never seen the "Holster Patch" before. Sounds interesting. Does it really work well? On the website, it sounds like the patch is sewn on the shirt, but in your post, you just iron it on. Does ironing work as well as sewing?

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    "YES!

What, exactly, is the functional purpose of those instructor belts? I much prefer leather." - redbeardsong

1. The functional purpose of instructor belts (at least for me) is longevity, and to have practically infinite adjustment. Not happening w a leather belt w holes. Also, I've never seen a leather belt, don't care who it's from, last as long as a WildTac. I work in the telecom industry, so I spend a lot of time getting very hot and sweaty in attics where the moisture is literally sucked from your pores and saturates all articles of clothing. Took me less than a year to go through leather belts, even of good quality. Been using the same WT for work for over 8yrs. For gun carrying, the CSM model can handle the heaviest of loads (used to carry 5" all steel 1911, now g22) and make it comfortable (for me).

2. YOU much prefer leather. Good. Different strokes and all that.
    Thanks for the explanation. Those are both good reasons to like them, but why are they called "Wilderness Instructors" belts? Is that buckle used for belaying or something? And how did they get co-opted by the gun crowd?

Oh...

The belt was originally designed to clip into a secure system while "instructing" others in high places during mountain rescue training, although they can be used for emergency rappelling with proper training. Our belts have also proven to be a fantastic everyday pants belt for casual or outdoor use, as well as concealed-carry.
    And I guess Gunsite made them popular?

I have moved to hurley or volcom brand shirts as they are often longer. I also prefer the blend fabric because it keeps the same shape after being washed, when sometimes cotton doesn't. I found a long jacket made by hurley, which is fleece lined, so very warm, and long enough that I have no problem concealing anything. And I don't look like a tool.

My wife constantly makes fun of me because when I shop, my first concern is that it conceals a gun, everything else is secondary.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Been away from a computer and the forum for a few days, and just read all the comments here! I guess I fall into that "old guy with a 1911" category. I've been wearing Levis since about 1949 or 1950, back when they didn't have 9 gazillion different numbers and styles!! And since I retired in 2003 and put away the suits and ties, my attire consists entirely of Levis, cargo pants/cargo shorts, T's, tanks, casual shirts, and yes, "shoot me first" vests!

While I don't wear them all the time, I do quite frequently. I love all the pockets for carrying things! And I'd like to see some documented evidence that anyone has ever been "shot first" because they were wearing a Woolrich or 5.11 vest!!!

One of the nice things about getting "older" is you've been around long enough to realize it isn't important to dress to impress other people! Since I'm no longer a slave to a job, I don't have to conform to any dress standards at work, and I don't give a rats backside what other people walking the streets think about how I'm dressed. I'm beyond the age where I'm trying to impress young women (or old women, for that matter) and don't really care what guys or the fashion police think! I'm perfectly content with my 5.11 vest and my 1911 and I don't really care if someone "suspects" I might be carrying. On the other hand, I might be a photographer, going fishing, or just a mean looking old man with a lot of crap to carry!
    SWIll, Old School, jem102 and 2 others like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Carry clothes that I hate...Pretty much anything that would require me to grow a mustache and wear a "Van Halen 1983-world tour" baseball hat to compliment it. Sorry old timers, but I guess Im part of the young, hip,armed and dangerous generation. Vest's and fanny-packs just dont do it for me.
    Van Halen Rocks! ...

Furthermore the care free attitude of the 1983 world vacation tour (which cannot be matched regardless of age!!) is exactly the kind of easy-going air that will not get you "made" easily.

The "who you lookin' at ? " attitude of a 'hip , armed and dangerous generation" is sure attract more issues & increase the likelihood of poor outcomes.

Remember "old timers" are the ones who actually survive the mean streets of life!
    Old School and tacman605 like this.
    ~ Sigsi Paige

I've worn the so called "shoot me first vests" off an on since the mid 80s, many different brands and styles.
    I even wore the vest while working in a plain clothes/anti-crime unit - during stakeouts, "john" details, and even a couple of hand to hand buys. (Carrying my SIG P220 under it at the time).

Last time I checked, no one had shot me first; at least not yet anyways.
    Old School likes this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I'm pretty sure bad guys are not as in-tune with tactical clothing as us. However, I can't stand tactical clothing because they scream "redneck" to me, and I am Asian...I can't carry off that look. :)

I just like semi-stylish understated clothing that says "I can't be armed...I'm almost preppy-looking." I wear jeans and lean-cut t-shirts/shorts untucked. I wear sport coats and jackets with jeans, and I never wear cargo anything. However, my Kahr or P2000 will be with me most times. Be who you are, but a vest screams "GUN" to me, as does a fanny pack. Fortunately, bad guys are (in my opinion) mostly unaware of gun dress code. I simply want NOBODY to know.

EDIT: I do realize blazers are not literally understated, but they are not (when worn with jeans) typical tactical attire.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    ...I can't carry off that look. :)

I just like semi-stylish understated clothing ....
    I agree it's always best to be who you are!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Cool

I'm pretty sure bad guys are not as in-tune with tactical clothing as us. However, I can't stand tactical clothing because they scream "redneck" to me, and I am Asian...I can't carry off that look. :) {QUOTE} Chandne

You know I appreciate you are Asian and that you are not a a "redneck" and can't carry off that look so please don't wear that type of clothing and I won't wear anything that might scream........... Bruce Lee cause being a "redneck" I can't carry off that look.

OS
    JDE101 and mr.stuart like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I'll fav this thread just in case it turns into a style contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I'm pretty sure bad guys are not as in-tune with tactical clothing as us. However, I can't stand tactical clothing because they scream "redneck" to me, and I am Asian...I can't carry off that look. :) {QUOTE} Chandne

You know I appreciate you are Asian and that you are not a a "redneck" and can't carry off that look so please don't wear that type of clothing and I won't wear anything that might scream........... Bruce Lee cause being a "redneck" I can't carry off that look.

OS
    Well, I am a more tanned Asian but just for that, I'm going to watch him beat Chuck Norris like a drum tonight. :)

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I wear the same things to the range as I wear to training classes as I wear to work every day, and as I play with my family on the weekends.

A $5 Old Navy T-shirt, untucked, over a $25 pair of Old-Navy jeans. I either have on an ARES Ranger belt or a custom leather gunbelt (which will go just fine with a suit, thanks to Chicago screws and a nice buckle), but no-one sees that, anyway, since my shirt's untucked.

I'm at an age where I'm no longer looking to impress potential mates. The same clothes every day means that I can roll out of bed and just go - I don't have to worry about matching this with that. Sure, my wife makes me "dress like an adult/human" sometimes, when we go out, but otherwise, I like the consistency - which is "me," 90% of the time.

I know how my daily clothes lay. I know what happens if I do X or Y motions to clear garment - whether it be to draw my gun or to get to my knives - because I've trained in these same clothes.

I don't care what anyone else wears. As long as it fits their lifestyle and they're happy with it, who am I to say otherwise?

I just hope they know which pocket to reach in to access the defensive tool of their choice.

I just hope that they know what motions they need to make, to give themselves greater chances of properly clearing the garment, be it to draw the gun or to do a reload.

I just hope that they have trained with it, like they've trained with all the rest of their life-support equipment.

------

And as an side, I don't know if bad-guys know/target "concealed-carry dress," but it's worth noting that this is a distinctive trait, and is one which has recently been featured in a PoliceOne.com article:

Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon

I'm not citing that article to make any particular point, one way or the other. Rather, I'm simply bringing it up (again) because I think it is of-interest to all of us here, as legal concealed-carriers.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    Regarding the "shoot me first vests" I think we tend to give people too much credit regarding their observation skills. They don't even see where they are going most of the time. Let alone us, printing, or a vest. lol
    Exactly. Many people are lost in space. I wear what I want.End of story.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I love my Jerry Bissel belt.

I wear loose tshirts, or casual short sleeve button up patterned shirt now that its getting warmer. When it was cooler I usually wore a light coat or a pullover hoodie with company logos on them. I carry IWB

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links