CCW Clothing you hate/love

This is a discussion on CCW Clothing you hate/love within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Jeans and a t shirt, maybe a button down or a suit, depending. Love 'em! You'll never catch me in any of the CCW clothing, ...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: CCW Clothing you hate/love

Jeans and a t shirt, maybe a button down or a suit, depending. Love 'em! You'll never catch me in any of the CCW clothing, though I will wear some cargo type pants on occasion.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I've been wearing wilderness instructor belts since the early nineties. I love them; especially the 5-stitch variety. I am a shorts/jeans/t-shirt/urban-hiking boots guy for the most part, but I also like a square-hemmed short sleeve shirt once in awhile. I hate vests of all kinds and always have. This has more to do with being forced into a sweater vest at a young age than any prejudice against appearing too tactical.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Just because unarmed civilians don't confront you doesn't mean they don't notice, it just means they have common sense. In any case, they aren't the problem.

Neither are crooks who are too dumb or strung out to notice you're armed.

Some crooks are smart enough to wait for easier prey, so again, you get a pass.

But then, there are those occasions where you are just a minor annoyance to be blind-sided first, or your weapon itself is the prize. It only has to happen once, and they have the initiative; you can only react.

Tacticool works in the woods, leather vests on riders (horse or Harley), business suits on Wall Street (unless you're an occupier) and country club casual on the links, etc., etc...

If you're totin', it doesn't pay to advertise.

I want to go retro 80's with the Magnum P.I look !! Tight white shorts , blazing hawaiian shirt and deck shoes with a no holstered 1911 tucked in plain sight at 6 oclock in belt loop !! Yea thats what im talking about but I cant afford a ferrari but maybe an 80's model t-top fierro . I will bring back the Hawaiian shirt !! I have been saving them in my closet I told the wife they will be back in style !
    TSiWRX and Geronimo45 like this.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I guess that's me.....(but be warned: I know how to use that 1911!)
    The only people who call them 'shoot me 1st vests' are other gun people. I have NEVER heard of any body getting shot because of the vest.......
    "After all these years, I've only found one case of anyone "getting shot first" because they were wearing vests. It is found in the very first Star Wars movie. The rebel bodyguards of Princess Leia are all wearing a uniform that includes a black vest which looks remarkably like something from Concealed Carry Clothiers. When the Imperial Storm Troopers led by Darth Vader attack their ship, the Storm Troopers blast every rebel so dressed."
    - Massad Ayoob

I LOVE tacky Hawaiian shirts. They are thin, long, baggy, and the pattern breaks up printing. I also love oversized tie-dyed tee shirts. The great thing about both are that no one would ever see someone wearing either one and think "That dude's packin' heat" unless they are old enough to know who Magnum PI is.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    I wear pants with a lot of pockets and I use near bout all of them. In summer I wear shorts with a lot of pockets.
    I pretty much wear T-Shirts all year long. Everything I wear is always 100% Cotton.
    I like to be comfortable until such time as it's time to be SHTF uncomfortable.

Until I started carrying concealed I would never have considered any of these styles of dress (vests, fanny packs, cargo pants, etc.) indicative of gun toting, bible thumping red necks. I still don't! It doesn't matter what someone thinks, it just has to be concealed. It seems like gun people can be a bit quick to ridicule or judgement. I think I'll go buy a vest now!
    RichB70 likes this.

Being an old yoda looking dude. I wear old clothes levi and sweat shirts in winter carry IWB remora holster. The summer I wear levi shorts and a big "T" shirt I never get a second look .

Rich

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm one of those "Old Dudes" (58 yrs) that wears a vest in cooler weather. I either wear one of these, RedHead® Ripstop Utility Vests for Men | Bass Pro Shops or one of these, Columbia® Cathedral Peak™ Vests for Men | Bass Pro Shops

I honestly don't care if someone suspects that I'm carrying a gun, (usually a Glock)...makes no difference to me 'cause I'm permitted to do so. When it warms up I can dress in shorts and a colored tee shirt or golf shirt and either wear my Glock 27 OWB in a pancake holster or just put my Ruger LC 9, LCP or S&W 642 in my RF pocket.

Google "shoot me first vest" and you will see quite a lot of discussion about the subject...most of it de-bunking the myth!
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    Well I have been carrying professionally for the last 30 years or so and have never had a problem nor heard of a problem with the "Shoot me first" vest and on occasion I will have a 1911 under it. And........?
    I will wear them on occasion along with my 5.11 pants and my WT belt. I have been wearing the same belt since my first contract in Afghanistan in 06. Most of the time the belt is covered up anyways so it makes no difference. The belt to me simply works better than others at holding up whatever gear I am wearing. Not knocking anyone else's choices I just happen to like mine.

So with all this talk about bad guys knowing about tactical clothing, belts and the most famous shoot me vests I guess this is the ultimate thread against open carry?
    If I am targeted simply because of the vest, pants or belt I wear these poor guys are screwed from the start. Most people don't pay enough attention to notice if their hair is on fire much less what others are wearing. The exceptions may be the extremes like a woman with low cut shirt, high cut shorts or the black guy with the hoodie and bandana or the biker in leathers other than that they don't really care.

There are times no matter what you wear you will be singled out. Someone posted about stories from their PSD days. Yep standing there in a tactical vest, trench coat, suit coat in 100 degree weather with an ear bud in your ear talking into your wrist you will get noticed pretty quick then it's how did they know?

Personally I don't care if by the way I dress I scream that I am toting as I said in another post you leave me and mine alone I will leave you alone. I do think that to much is being put into this as long as the clothing is comfortable, allows quick access to equipment, and the weapon stays concealed wear what you want.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Like input First Sgt. I wear Cargo pants but no vest instead I like the blue water fishing shirt it helps with 2pr of glasses, readers and dark , plus my cell. I'm 72 and I like myself and I do not worry about what others think about they I dress it's to fit my needs. With that said I have to catch my plane.

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    I want to go retro 80's with the Magnum P.I look !! Tight white shorts , blazing hawaiian shirt and deck shoes with a no holstered 1911 tucked in plain sight at 6 oclock in belt loop !! Yea thats what im talking about but I cant afford a ferrari but maybe an 80's model t-top fierro . I will bring back the Hawaiian shirt !! I have been saving them in my closet I told the wife they will be back in style !
    Just wait one second here...the Hawaiian print shirt has never gone out of style! The tight white shorts on the other hand...unless your a female, don't even think about it!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    ... The tight white shorts on the other hand...unless your a female, don't even think about it!
    If memory serves me right I had square pecs and a rippled abdomen back in the days when I wore tight and short cut offs.

VIP Member
    TMI...TMI...No pics please no pics.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Links