OWB holsters

This is a discussion on OWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It looks like my build is not going to allow for a comfortable IWB carry. I am curvy and somewhat short-waisted. I'd like suggestions for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OWB holsters

OWB holsters

It looks like my build is not going to allow for a comfortable IWB carry. I am curvy and somewhat short-waisted. I'd like suggestions for a close-to-the-body OWB for my M&P 9c. The best locations will probably be 3:30-4, and 1:30-2:30. I've been looking at Personal Security Systems holsters, a couple High Noons...several brands. I'd love it if the holster could be less than $100! Thanks for any suggestions!.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Check out this thread I started a while back. This is the OWB I bought for my M&P9c.

New Holster for my M&P
    Last edited by Stubborn; March 13th, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fixed link
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice holster! How much was it? I'm leaning more and more to the Personal Security Systems kydex, but I do like the leather option, too. I'd like one that doesn't ride overly high---those don't seem to work with the hourglass!

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Look at Tagua holsters
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Try Lobo Gun Leather. Great products. Decent prices for top quality leather holsters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

sgb
    Spirit4earth, not trying to get too personal but women have so much "varying" amount of "curveyness". If your "curveyness" is plentiful at 6 O'clock you'll have the same problem at 5 O'clock that your hips are giving you at 3 O'clock. If that's the case Appendix carry will most likely me your best option.

If not then carry at the 4:30/5:00 O'clock may work for you. My nephew is thin and carries his M&P9c in a holster I made for him at 7 O'clock (he's a lefty)

29zx5c8.jpg1zpigm0.jpg5ea7tc.jpg2nhqgz4.jpg
    here's a right hand version of the same holster and you can see it rides high. 2ijj444.jpg
    FastFreddie likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Spirit4earth, not trying to get too personal but women have so much "varying" amount of "curveyness". If your "curveyness" is plentiful at 6 O'clock you'll have the same problem at 5 O'clock that your hips are giving you at 3 O'clock. If that's the case Appendix carry will most likely me your best option.

If not then carry at the 4:30/5:00 O'clock may work for you. My nephew is thin and carries his M&P9c in a holster I made for him at 7 O'clock (he's a lefty)

29zx5c8.jpg1zpigm0.jpg5ea7tc.jpg2nhqgz4.jpg
    here's a right hand version of the same holster and you can see it rides high. 2ijj444.jpg
    sgb, you're absolutely right about the variations of curvature! :) Mine's not that pronounced...the problem is an hourglass that causes a high riding pistol to knock into my ribs. I'm thinking I might have to go with appendix-carry, too, but I really don't want to. 4 o'clock is probably best.

Very nice holster!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    After giving more thought to your situation, my best advice would be to talk to a custom holster maker. Most holster companies make "cookie cutter" holsters, meaning they're all the same cut and angle.
    Sounds like a custom maker could adjust the degree of cant to accomodate your "shape". Less forward cant would lower the rear edge of grip, so as not to poke you in the ribs.

Perhaps even a rearward cant would suit you better, but keep in mind rearward cant could cause the rig to print in concealed situations.

I carry my M&P at 3 o'clock maybe 3:15. Perhaps moving forward to 2 or 2:30 with a rearward cant would serve you well without going to a full appendix carry at 1 o'clock.
    Just another thought or two.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For OWB, I like the Blackhawk. It has an adjustable cant and height so it might work for a more custom fit for you. It comes with a couple of attachments so you can either belt it or put a paddle on it like the pic. It's about $50. You can also thread your belt backwards around an OWB (so the leather goes outside the holster) and cinch it nice and close to your body (this won't work on many retention holsters, however).
    My main carry is a cheapo $10 IWB. I love it because the butt of the semi lies lower along my belt line (and doesn't cause any undo discomfort to my Michelin). Some say it's a difficult draw, but I never have any issues. It's thin, the clip is robust, and it has been very durable now for three years (I have two more on deck). I can carry from 2 o'clock around to 5 and it's easy enough to take off the gun and holster after getting in the car, etc. I'm also a Remora fan. It certainly works as advertised and has become my main carry under dress shirts or for any tuck situation. No clips to show, and I've not had any problems clearing garments and drawing when I've practiced with it, and you can literally carry it in any position.

You might want to take a look at Alabama Holster. I have one of their "High and Tight" kydex models for my G36 and I really like it.
    From a Marine sniper -- "You can run but you will just die tired"
    Semper Fi

Bravo Concealment has nice kydex holsters along the Raven design that ride very close to the body. And they are well under $100.

http://bravoconcealment.com/

Garrett, Bravo, Personal Security Systems, or Raven?

What I like about Garrett's Silent Thunder is that it's the best of both worlds, leather lined Kydex or if you prefer, Kydex lined leather. Can be had with adjustable cant, adjustable retention, some use interchangeable clips if your needs (or belt width) change, very versatile and you get a custom holster for your gun in a week or two usually.

Ron and Sheryl are great people to work with, I'd highly recommend sending them an email explaining what you're looking for and they will come back with an honest answer, I know this because they talked me into a less expensive holster than I was originally planning on buying from them, based on my needs they deferred me to another one of their holsters and they were spot on with their recommendation.

Everyone is different though, many people like Crossbreed but they don't work well for me... FWIW, I'm 6'2 and 205 pounds rightnow and was 6'2 and 225 pounds when I got them, fit and feel are second to none in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links