Mag button clearance on carry holsters

This is a discussion on Mag button clearance on carry holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've stirred up a bit of healthy discussion about the need for mag button clearance on carry holsters, and think it would be helpful for ...

Thread: Mag button clearance on carry holsters

Mag button clearance on carry holsters

I've stirred up a bit of healthy discussion about the need for mag button clearance on carry holsters, and think it would be helpful for the need for it to be well understood.

Have I ever heard of anyone losing their mag from pressure on the mag button with the holster? Yes. Heard of any makers who were sued for this? Yes. Heard of any maker who lost their cases? Yes. Makers, don't let this be you, too.

Put it this way: if holster makers knew 100 years ago that the mag button had to be given full clearance to prevent accidents, don't you think YOUR contemporary maker should get it right?

Here's a cutaway of the old M1916 holster, and the leather-covered plug that's inside it. No, it's not a cocking shelf; its sole purpose is to stand the pistol mag button away from the holster:

h1.jpg10042011919.jpg

Holster makers, and holster consumers, are out of excuses for not clearing the mag button. This is the 21st century, not the 1870s or even the 1970s.

And further, being able to pop a full mag out to check that it's topped up, or to change full or partial mags without unholstering, is why it's de rigeur for professionals, including competition shooters to have a cleared button.

P.S. the M1916 holster was/is never made in left hand and the issue of mag button clearance therefore never needed to be addressed for lefties.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

2. Remove Ads

I notified a certain well known manufacturer of plastic paddle holsters about a mag clearance issue with their left handed holsters for Glocks. The design popped my magazine out every time I wore it. I cut out a clearance notch with a utility knife and melted the cut edges smooth with a butane torch.

They called me wanting to talk, but I forgot to call them back, having given the holster away and not having any intentions of buying another.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    over the decades i have modified many holsters to ensure clearance of safety's and mag release buttons.

some more modern klydex also need some trimming to make safe in my eyes. YMMV
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'm a lefty,I had an issue with a Sig 2022 mag button sticking out too far and found my magazine unseated numerous times,grabbed my dremel with a sanding drum and slowly removed enough material that I could easily drop a mag ,but it hasn't accidently released one since,Mag button is metallic.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pics showing the right way, and the wrong way, to address the mag button. Note that getting it right, also clears the leather away for the knuckle of the drawing hand.

RIGHT.jpgRONG.jpg
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

Been going back and checking it on the holsters I am doing. I have a few I need to re cut. Can't get the angle worked out, so the leather will have to go. Getting started on an all leather one currently. I'm having too much fun.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links