Maxpedition Falcon II--Concealed Carry Review

This is a discussion on Maxpedition Falcon II--Concealed Carry Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a review and photos of the Falcon II from a concealed carry perspective here: Maxpedition Falcon II Backpack–Concealed Carry Review | ThinBlueFlorida.com I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Maxpedition Falcon II--Concealed Carry Review

Maxpedition Falcon II--Concealed Carry Review

I posted a review and photos of the Falcon II from a concealed carry perspective here:

Maxpedition Falcon II Backpack–Concealed Carry Review | ThinBlueFlorida.com

I have found it to be my go-to backpack when I need to tote a handgun and other items.

Randall

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    A nice review though you need to be especially mindful when you draw to present a firearm from a backpack and from behind like that.
    You need to come out with it and then muzzle down and around so that you do not cover ESPECIALLY that part of your body...because unlike blowing a hole through your support hand in a conventional bungled firearm presentation you would be giving yourself a possible killing shot - NDing during a draw from that location.
    Please ingrain that by lots of practice with a "checked for empty" firearm

With legal liability being what it is these days I think you really need to add a warning/disclaimer on that page regarding drawing a firearm from that location.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    being that one would be on a trail, gravel or perhaps wet earth with roots and unsure, possibly unstable footing--and they may be in motion when they are drawing...

a gun with no manual safeties would be my last choice, actually--no choice, to draw in that mannor.
    QKShooter has the right idea for a disclaimer. he just doesn't go far enough IMO

some ideas are better on paper than in the real world.

a different gun might be a H&K P7 squeeze cocker...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Absolutely right QKShooter. In the photo, I have my finger off the trigger and the gun's muzzle canted away from my back. The finish to this draw if just what you said, rotating the gun muzzle down, then swinging it up, away from your body, and toward the target, just like a draw from a small of the back holster. (I'll add that disclaimer.)

claude clay, each shooter must determine what they are comfortable with and the equipment that best suits them. I have over 22 years experience as a SWAT team member and nearly 25 as a cop (and concealed firearms carrier). That said, everyone must practice good firearms handling and common sense. Your advice is on point.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Randall

Disclaimer added with a thanks to QKShooter!
    Last edited by Speedyfish; March 15th, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: shout out to QK...

Administrator
    I have no problem with a person carrying in that location as long as that person executes a safe draw from that location and certainly the OP has enough smarts and professional training under his belt to accomplish the task without suffering personal injury.
    I have seen folks do a very safe and perfectly accomplished draw & reholster from "small of back" and his backpack location is not a whole lot different.

It's just something that needs to be taken seriously and practiced.

My reason for wanting him to add a disclaimer is that there could be 100 ways for human beings (in general) to do something right and some unique idiot "out there" will find the ONE way to do it wrong.

Maxpedition makes great high quality stuff BTW <~~~ added for folks that might be new to DefensiveCarry.

I like the Maxpedition Falcon II, and presently use it as my Bug-Out-Bag. It has served well, and I have had need for it a couple of times.

I also have added a Maxpedition 10x4 Bottle Holder on each side of the pack and a Maxpedition Triad Admin pouch attached to the front where I carry a 2 oz can of Fox Labs OC spray and my Surefire 6P plus a compass for quick access.

The gun I've been carrying in it lately as been a Ruger SP-101 DAO as a last ditch hide-out gun. I will usually be carrying my M&P 9 or XD9sc elsewhere on my person.

I have found it to be a very useful, medium sized, heavy duty pack. For larger loads I use my Camelbak BFM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Exactly. Just like his pic. I use mine. I practice my draw. My finger is never on the trigger till I have it on target. It's not hard at all. I practice my draw with all my guns and holster never have my finger on the trigger.Nice review. Good for day hikes. That being said I still carry my gun in a Molle pouch in the front or side.

Administrator
    Falcon II
    That's the BOB that I'm going to buy for my better half. I need to do all of the grunt humping but, she can haul her own clothes and personals & some very basic lighter weight stuff.
    My BOB is the largest Maxpedition (I've got it LOADED and it is really pushing it on the pounds ) recently I bought a CamelBak BMF for my younger Brother and I DO like the way the interior is set up on the CamelBak a bit better than the MAX - but, I'll stick with the Maxpedition.
    ironmike86 and Bark'n like this.

I use a Kifaru Marauder for my BOB. Wife Falcon 2. I have Falcon 2 and Pygmy for day hikes. Packs are like holsters to me
    Bark'n likes this.

Administrator
    Kifaru Marauder. Expensive....and very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    I use a Kifaru Marauder for my BOB. Wife Falcon 2. I have Falcon 2 and Pygmy for day hikes. Packs are like holsters to me

Love their products! Made a great truck holster out of their universal concealed carry holster, only ten bucks and some industrial Velcro. Easy to reach, and a convenient option to keeping the gun in your holster on long trips! Plan on getting more for the rest of the vehicles.
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    I wish I could afford a Kifaru. I've had my eye on them for years. Also on a couple of their Tepee's.

If I was 20 years younger and still humpin' ruck in the wilderness, I'd be all over the Kifaru packs. I just can't justify the price for how little time I spend backpacking these days.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I wish I could afford a Kifaru. I've had my eye on them for years. Also on a couple of their Tepee's.

If I was 20 years younger and still humpin' ruck in the wilderness, I'd be all over the Kifaru packs. I just can't justify the price for how little time I spend backpacking these days.
    Me either. I bought a few Kifaru Packs when they had the Gen 1 sale. Like 50% off. They can carry alot of weight. If you wanna do a Kifaru on the cheap get an EE with a couple of bags little at a time. Good day pack. I like how thing can be separate and changed.. I mean $400+ dollars I would rather buy a gun :)

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a Fatboy Versipack and a Monsoon Gearslinger for bigger loads/work/travel briefcase. Baoth are very well put together and take the beating I give them without any noticable wear. The Monsoon is aslo a left handed sling making access to the CC compartment awkward. I also found that the maxpediton cc holser does not hold the gun well in the Monsoon and the gun will slip out when I sling the bag on and off. I purchased another stryle with a retention strap and problem solved.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

kapnketel,

Yeah, my Max slip holster does not work well with either my Sitka or my Lunada, because they rotate when I access them. I use the 5.11 thumb break holster in those platforms.

Randall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links