Beltless holster option? - Page 2

Beltless holster option?

This is a discussion on Beltless holster option? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cjacob316 I wouldn't own a remora. couldn't trust it, I move around too much So you've actually tried one then and know, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Beltless holster option?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacob316 View Post
    I wouldn't own a remora. couldn't trust it, I move around too much
    So you've actually tried one then and know, or are just speculating? The answer is important because I see so many people saying that but when they get one and try it, it is a complete reversal. I even use my Remora with my KelTec PF9 with my loose shorts. I wouldn't trust loose shorts to hold it in well while moving around a lot, but with a tighter pair I most certainly would. So, I'm just saying...
    stancehold likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

no I wouldn't spend the money. I've seen them used, I see people like them, but why? why have a holster that could drop through? are you scared of clips? also it's nylon, so retention and reholstering won't be as good as leather or Kydex. I understand people like them, but I don't need to try one to know that it's more likely to cause problems than one with a clip. I'm not going to knock you for likling it, but don't sit there and try to talk down to me because I have legitmate concerns about it.

Distinguished Member
    no I wouldn't spend the money. I've seen them used, I see people like them, but why? why have a holster that could drop through?
    I have 3 of them and NO I am not afraid it will drop through unless I have ultra loose pants.
    are you scared of clips?
    I don't like having to have my holster at a specific angle all of the time, nor do I want it to be restricted as to location or height.
    also it's nylon, so retention and reholstering won't be as good as leather or Kydex.
    obviously you have never tried one. The RFT version makes re-holstering a breeze. And retention - don't get me started there. I have plenty of people around me (me, my wife, my 2 brother in laws, 3 of my brother in law's co-workers) using them on a daily basis (between all of us we have at least 7 of them in operation). And you will not hear one of them give that argument. They were skeptical at first. I was skeptical at first. But I took the plunge ($29.95 for the RFT) and with their FULL money back guarantee, I didn't worry too much. When I got it, I was immediately sold. You put it where you want and it stays. It just does. The gun stays and it would be hard to get it to come out without you pulling on it like you intended it to come out. And the holster stays when you pull your gun. I don't like the original top as it is a little harder to re-holster, but the RFT (reinforced top) is fantastic for that. It covers the trigger and you can get the ART version (ART RFT) which gives you more grip area so you can get your master grip quickly and easily.

I understand people like them, but I don't need to try one to know that it's more likely to cause problems than one with a clip.
    For a product like this, you do need to try them to actually see. Your argument is shallow and ignorant. Sorry, not trying to be nasty, but it is true. If you have never actually tried one then you can say you wouldn't try one (and I can live with that) but I'll fight any indication of attempting to put doubts into anyone else unless you have tried and it has failed. If you could borrow one from someone (the proper size for your gun) and then put it through its paces and then it wasn't working. Then, I wouldn't have a problem with your "review." But to basically discount it without even trying it is snobbery at best. You THINK you know but you really don't. You can't know for sure unless you tried. But I can tell you aren't interested in trying it.

I'm not going to knock you for likling it, but don't sit there and try to talk down to me because I have legitmate concerns about it.
    And your concerns would be resolved if you tried it, but you won't go there. I can understand not wanting to try it. But if you do a lot of searching on the forums, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will come out and state that they are not good, once they have tried it. Sure some have said that they don't want to make it their primary. And some have said they use it for a quick grab and go. Not everyone uses it as their every day holster. But those who have tried it and still argue that not having a clip is bad, or that retention is an issue, I have not found one yet.

So, sorry if I have come off as a bit nasty. I certainly haven't intended to be that way. It just irritates me when someone speaks out against something that they have not tried and especially when trying it is necessary in order to see the light.
    stancehold and Crescentstar like this.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I doubt I'll ever take the Remora out when I'm doing strenuous hiking. I still haven't figured out what I'll use. I have a Safariland 6377 that I'm going to drop 2" so I can wear it with a pack. However, I'm not really into open carry---not at all, actually. But out on the trails, I have to do whatever works. I'm considering a Safepacker, or making my own get-up with a Crossbreed Ohai.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I had two, made well... But not for me.

Sent them back, nice guy great service.

There were better options for me. You cannot say this is as good as a holster with a clip or loops, ever. You can say it works well so far, fits a need, etc but it's simply inferior to a quality holster with some kind of holding device. I don't see the benefit other than sweatpants, even then I prefer a Smartcarry.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

Distinguished Member
    For some things I might be interested in a Smartcarry, but given my girth (one day hopefully will be much less) the Remora seems to help me much better than trying to have another strap go around me. But thanks for posting with your experience. Nothing better than to have some balanced input.

As for inferior to a "quality holster." I'm not sold on that. The flexibility over a leather or combination leather/Kydex with clips or belt loops more than compensates in my mind for the difference in material.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I wasn't referring to material or even quality. It's physics, it's simply not possible for something not physically attached to hold as well as something that is.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

I knew I shouldn't have replied, because I knew you were a salesman, sorry man, not going to sell me on this product, never going to happen, even if you send me a free one, and I liked it, I still would not choose it over one with a clip. I have no need for a no clip holster, therefore I will never own one.

I'm glad someone else shares my common sense reasoning for using a holster with a clip Thunder. To say that a remora no clip can hold as well or better than a holster with a clip is the ignorant statement. No matter how well the remora works, it is the one of the two that has a chance to fall. Unless of course the clip breaks.

I can kill all your arguements, kydex holds better and reholsters better, plain and simple, and there are quite a few holsters with adjustable cants. I have seen complaints about the remora collapsing not allowing for reholstering, GRAVITY CANNOT BE DEFEATED! My xdm45 is heavy even with a crossbreed which does a good job of spreading out the weight, I don't want my belt tight enough to hold that weight stable without clips

then there is the biggest arguement of all, why risk no clips when you can use clips?

I'll put in for SmartCarry, but I'll break the Remora cycle with Sticky Holster stickyholsters.com. Same Idea, but there stocked (at least in my area ) in gun shops.

To get back on track, who offers clip holsters that don't need a belt. And that sticky holsters link didn't work for me!

Look at SERPA's or Fobus paddle holsters. Really, any decent paddle holster should catch the belt. SERPA's are adjustable for belt size and grab really well. Plus you have positive retention, which I prefer when hiking or fly fishing. I don't want some random tree limb grabbing the pistol and pulling it out of a holster. I climbed around fly fishing all day today, crawling on rocks, busting trail, and climbing through brush. I had my SERPA strapped to the waist band of my pack and never worried about the pistol coming out. Usually I carry with the paddle and waist belt over it. Today I used the belt loop attachment and put it on my waist belt.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

nothing with a clip NEEDS a belt, unless its a jhook, as long as your pants don't fall off from the weight

holsters are either going to work or not work on those pants. there is no one type of holster that will work better when it comes to the task of clipping on inside or outside your pants than another, if one doesn't work for your pants, chances are nothing will.

Remora. I am a service technician and I'm in and out of my truck, houses, on my knees, up and down all day. The Remora is my EDC. It works as described, yes, I was apprehensive at first but it stays where I put it and it does have some adjusting capability that make it a big plus over my CrossBreed type holster. I never had it come close to falling through or falling out. I will say that I have had it for only 4 months so far.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Adolph Hitler, German Chancellor 1933

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Look at SERPA's or Fobus paddle holsters. Really, any decent paddle holster should catch the belt. SERPA's are adjustable for belt size and grab really well. Plus you have positive retention, which I prefer when hiking or fly fishing. I don't want some random tree limb grabbing the pistol and pulling it out of a holster. I climbed around fly fishing all day today, crawling on rocks, busting trail, and climbing through brush. I had my SERPA strapped to the waist band of my pack and never worried about the pistol coming out. Usually I carry with the paddle and waist belt over it. Today I used the belt loop attachment and put it on my waist belt.
    I have the Safariland 6377. I guess I could get a paddle attachment for it and try that. I'll look at a Serpa, too. Sounds good!

Distinguished Member
    because I knew you were a salesman,
    Not a salesman but a very, very, very satisfied customer.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links