To laser or not on defensive carry gun?

This is a discussion on To laser or not on defensive carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just me but teach her to shoot well first and then let her decide she must have the basics down before anything else. It is/will ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: To laser or not on defensive carry gun?

VIP Member
    Just me but teach her to shoot well first and then let her decide she must have the basics down before anything else. It is/will be her gun and comes down to what she feels comfortable with no anyone else.

I have WML's with lasers and ussually have them turned off until I get the time to train with them more. They are not a magic replacement for using the sights they do however provide a point of reference on the target until you can create distance, fight your way to getting the gun up to eye level and using the sights.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As I said on another thread, lasers can be great tools to demonstrate, teach and diagnose hold, breath, grip and trigger control.
    tacman605 and beararms like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As I said on another thread, lasers can be great tools to demonstrate, teach and diagnose hold, breath, grip and trigger control.
    ...and more.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Thanks for all the information... it is all very helpful and things to consider.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    If it works for you then by all means put on a laser.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I have a laser on a S&W Bodyguard .38 revolver. I love the laser, and my wife likes it as well. She shoots much better, and is much quicker between shots with the laser.
    The only downside to it, is the switch to turn it on would be almost impossible to get to during a draw in a life threatening situation.

If you had the CT grip laser that comes on when you grip the weapon I see it as a huge advantage. If the laser has a manual switch, I see it as a disadvantage.

Drawing and firing a SD weapon needs to be muscle memory reflex...really almost automatic. A switch would only serve to slow down and confuse.
    Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I have a laser on a S&W Bodyguard .38 revolver. I love the laser, and my wife likes it as well. She shoots much better, and is much quicker between shots with the laser.
    The only downside to it, is the switch to turn it on would be almost impossible to get to during a draw in a life threatening situation.

If you had the CT grip laser that comes on when you grip the weapon I see it as a huge advantage. If the laser has a manual switch, I see it as a disadvantage.

Drawing and firing a SD weapon needs to be muscle memory reflex...really almost automatic. A switch would only serve to slow down and confuse.
    Just my $.02
    My CTs have on/off switches, and activation buttons.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I agree... I do not like the side switch models and will not buy one of those. I have that on my Sig P238 and took it off. I got the grip style for my Kahr P380.

I've had the chance to use a gun with laser at night, whilst chasing an armadillo (didn't want to shoot him while he was standing on concrete). Extremely useful, especially on a short-barrel handgun. The shorter the sight radius, the more unforgiving it is of non-perfect sight alignment.

Unless she is going to do a lot of regular defensive training you should keep things simple ... when necessary point the gun, pull the trigger & don't stop until the intruder ain't moving ...

The topic of the pros and cons of lasers is another one of those topics that tends to get rather heated.

First, I have experience with many different brands of lasers. Based on my experience, it is either Crimson Trace lasers, or none at all. You grip the gun normally, and they turn on. Simple. And simple is good.

Second - the best reading on the subject I have found is here:

Cornered Cat - The Case for Lasers

Cornered Cat - Practicing with a Laser

Lastly - I run CT lasers on all my defensive handguns. I've run them through a low light class. And I have yet to hear of anyone who used them in a real-world encounter who did not say that they were helpful. In some cases, the laser even helped resolve the situation without a shot. I would not count on that, but it has happened.

Have your wife try shooting, with and without a laser, and let her decide.
    tmoore912 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the links. It will end up being my decision since she has decided she ain't gonna be shooting a gun. Currently I have the CT Grip model on my P380 and believe I will leave it there.

To laser for point and shoot guns like the LCP and LC9.

Seems the laser debate is almost the same as "which caliber is better" debate. :)
    --Jason--

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
    I am in the process of getting my wife setup to shoot for the first time... and to be prepared for home defense. We have had a few "too close to home" incidents over the last couple of weeks that has really opened our eyes to at least be ready if something did occur. I have a Sig P238 that came with a laser, but I don't like it because it has the side activation button. I bought it anyway because the combo was cheaper than the gun by itself. I like the grip lasers better because in a rush I don't want to have to think about having to cut on a laser. I just purchased a Kahr P380 with the CT laser grip to replace my Sig (I ended up liking the DA of the Kahr over the SA of the Sig) However, I am not sure if I should worry about a laser, especially for my wife... with whatever we end up getting her, which is unknown yet until she has a chance to do some shooting.

What do you think... would you want your wife to have a laser on her home defense gun?
    If I may so humbly add my opinion. Teach her to shoot, not look for a dot!

Semper Fi,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links