To laser or not on defensive carry gun?

This is a discussion on To laser or not on defensive carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of getting my wife setup to shoot for the first time... and to be prepared for home defense. We have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: To laser or not on defensive carry gun?

To laser or not on defensive carry gun?

I am in the process of getting my wife setup to shoot for the first time... and to be prepared for home defense. We have had a few "too close to home" incidents over the last couple of weeks that has really opened our eyes to at least be ready if something did occur. I have a Sig P238 that came with a laser, but I don't like it because it has the side activation button. I bought it anyway because the combo was cheaper than the gun by itself. I like the grip lasers better because in a rush I don't want to have to think about having to cut on a laser. I just purchased a Kahr P380 with the CT laser grip to replace my Sig (I ended up liking the DA of the Kahr over the SA of the Sig) However, I am not sure if I should worry about a laser, especially for my wife... with whatever we end up getting her, which is unknown yet until she has a chance to do some shooting.

What do you think... would you want your wife to have a laser on her home defense gun?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just my humble opinion, but I try to keep things as simple as possible, and prefer training over gadgets every day of the week.

In the case of my wife, she's not terribly impressed by firearms - other than the utility of wanting them to do what she wants, when she needs it. With minimal training, she's to the point where she can pick up any of my guns and hit just about anything she wants within 30 feet. She and I are both happy with that. The less buttons, switches and manual of arms for her to remember during a time of extreme stress, the better.
    hogdaddy, mano3 and Ram Rod like this.

Distinguished Member
    I tried my sister-in-law's PX4 with a laser and, believe it or not, it was easier to hit what I wanted to hit without the laser than with. For one, the laser was sighted in at one distance but if I used a closer distance, it would not go where I fired. And, when holding the gun, it is amazing how "bouncy" the laser is as it shows how much your muzzle is moving even when not trying to move it.

I would say, no laser. And that's how I'm going to roll. In the end it was just too distracting with the bouncing around to do any good. The gun sights are plenty fine. At least that is my experience.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I suspect in a pinch, my wife is not going to be aiming that well with sites, so that is really the only reason I am considering a laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
    I suspect in a pinch, my wife is not going to be aiming that well with sites, so that is really the only reason I am considering a laser.
    In a pinch you won't aim at all, you'll point and shoot. Spend the money on ammo and practice point shooting at SD distances.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

I don't like them overall but they do have their place. It really comes down to how you train and what works for you.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
    As mentioned by Thunder71, not likely going to be doing much of aiming anyway. And using a laser will only complicate matters (Try getting a laser on a randomly moving target and then pulling the trigger). Do you sight it in at 10 yards, or 20? It matters because just doubling the distance makes for a really far off shot when you go to use it. This I found out just this last Saturday when I actually used it.

But that's just my opinion but based on some actual experience.
    Last edited by accessbob; March 19th, 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add extra text
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I suppose training would be the key. It might be handy if we have time to think, but then sights would work fine. In a pinch we need to train ourselves to be able to just shoot without sites or lasers. There are probably a lot of different scenarios to practice.

Distinguished Member
    You know, it looks so easy when they show it on television or the movies (movie magic and all), but it really is (like most things on T.V.) not at all like T.V. or the movies. Training over and over and over is good. Because muscle memory is all that you have when you are suddenly filled with adrenaline. The one thing that is most difficult to train for, is the actual feelings which will occur during an "event." It is near impossible to recreate that in training. So, you just need to be able to physically point and shoot without thinking. At least that's how it has been explained to me.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That is what we keep talking about... there is just no way to duplicate the actually feeling we would go through. I can only imagine the nervousness we would experience. But then I am also not sure just how quick my temper will kick in to want to do some serious damage to someone about to attack my wife or myself either. It is just something you can't duplicate for practice.

Absolutely. If your defensive encounter is in close quarters, you won't be able to and won't want to fire from full extension. This means firing from retention, with your gun by your waist, where you can't see the sights.

A grip activated laser goes a long way to ensuring your bullets hit what you want and nothing else. It's not a guarantee, but it's a useful tool.

Also keeps you from having that awkward conversation with a prosecuting attorney going after you for negligence and asking, "So how did you know where your bullets would land if you weren't looking at your sights?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    beararms likes this.

The things we do to protect ourselves from attorneys. lol... forget the bad guy that was breaking in my home that I shot and killed, worry about the DA. Good points indeed. I can see where it could possibly be helpful.

This topic is similar to many topics on this forum. Usually there is no one right answer. It comes down to reading the feedback and then deciding what you want to do based on variables. We've seen it with topics such as:

* Which handgun is best for self defense
    * Which holster
    * What ammo
    * Revolver vs pistol
    * etc.
    No one right answer.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

No doubt about it. It is good to get fresh opinions tossed my way though. Some times it causes me to think a certain way and see things that I have not thought about previously, so I appreciate it.

A good read from an accomplished shooter on the Laser debate: View From The Porch: See the dot. Be the dot. Shoot the dot.
    Drawing from concealment on the random signal of a timer, your eyes are on the A-zone of that first target. Especially when the gun is coming out of a pocket or purse, it’s hard to do that perfect IPSC presentation; no worries with the Laser Grips. As that dot tracks onto the A-zone, you start shooting, and the dot tracks your eyes onto the next target. Even if the batteries crap out, you still have your irons to fall back on, but picking up the first target is just amazingly faster. It’s like the difference between using iron sights and a red dot on a carbine; your eye doesn’t have to juggle multiple points of reference, and target fixation actually works in your favor.
    Mike1956 and tmoore912 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links