Galco vs Don Hume

Galco vs Don Hume

This is a discussion on Galco vs Don Hume within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for the general wisdom of the group. Is there much difference between these two brands? I am not looking at a specific ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By luke213

Thread: Galco vs Don Hume

  1. #1
    Member Array Doubledown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    301

    Galco vs Don Hume

    I am looking for the general wisdom of the group. Is there much difference between these two brands? I am not looking at a specific model of holster or type of weapon just overall quality. I figure some of you must have both brands in your box of holsters past. Thanks as always for the help.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    817
    IMO, they are both in the ballpark with each other. Galco is certainly more expensive, but I can't honestly say better. I have had good luck (and a little bad) with both. Generally, any mid priced (mass produced) holster by brands such as Bianchi, Aker, Desantis, Galco, Safariland, Strong, Don Hume, etc. all seem to have good, affordable choices in holsters.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

  3. #3
    Member Array luke213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Channing, Michigan
    Posts
    406
    I would say it depends allot on the model, I've seen good and bad from both like Crescentstar said but generally they both offer some decent leather without much of a lead time at a good price.

    I've always figured there will be a market for custom leather with longer lead times and top notch quality, and production leather with little to no lead time and good quality. Two different markets more less, but the biggest advantage to something in the production type is that you can order a bunch of holsters and get them. For instance if your a larger police department or something along those lines you can't wait for a small maker to build a bunch of holsters then you can get production gear quickly and cheaper. For guys who are willing to wait a little and maybe pay a little more you can pick up a custom rig that will do just what you want.

    So in essence you pay for the convenience in time and money but the quality of the product some shops are putting out right now building each rig by hand is really hard and maybe impossible to match in a large production environment. Really though that's the same thing in any manufacturing whether it be guns or cars, you sometimes pay to have that attention to detail and end product that meets your expectations.

    Take care!

    Luke
    JD and sgb like this.

  4. #4
    Member Array Steve666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    47
    From most expensive to least:
    1. Ross
    2. Galco
    3. Don Hume
    I think that while the cost difference is notable, the quality difference is negligable.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

  5. #5
    Member Array cjacob316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    126
    you have more options with galco. From what i've seen, both are good quality, don hume is cheaper priced. In the end, it's just going to depend on what you want or what you're looking for.

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,733
    The only Galco I have is a Kydex (or plastic) paddle. Most of my holsters are Don Hume J.I.T. slides. I have 3 or 4 of them. One for Kahr PM9/CW9, one for Glock 26/19, one for Ruger LCR/SP101, one for Springfield XD9sc. My most favorite and most comfortable holster to wear.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  7. #7
    Member Array bcvojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Most of my holsters are Don Hume J.I.T. slides. I have 3 or 4 of them.
    J.I.T. slides are minimalist holsters, but some of the best OWB holsters you can get at that price point. I love mine!
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

  8. #8
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    I would say it depends allot on the model, I've seen good and bad from both like Crescentstar said but generally they both offer some decent leather without much of a lead time at a good price.

    I've always figured there will be a market for custom leather with longer lead times and top notch quality, and production leather with little to no lead time and good quality. Two different markets more less, but the biggest advantage to something in the production type is that you can order a bunch of holsters and get them. For instance if your a larger police department or something along those lines you can't wait for a small maker to build a bunch of holsters then you can get production gear quickly and cheaper. For guys who are willing to wait a little and maybe pay a little more you can pick up a custom rig that will do just what you want.

    So in essence you pay for the convenience in time and money but the quality of the product some shops are putting out right now building each rig by hand is really hard and maybe impossible to match in a large production environment. Really though that's the same thing in any manufacturing whether it be guns or cars, you sometimes pay to have that attention to detail and end product that meets your expectations.

    Take care!

    Luke

    Luke hit the nail on the head.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,105
    I thought I had a Galco in the box but I can't find it! One of my favorite holsters is a Don Hume pancake that I wear OWB with my P220. Lays flat, conceals well and stays open for easy one hand re-holstering.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  10. #10
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    J.I.T. slides are minimalist holsters, but some of the best OWB holsters you can get at that price point. I love mine!
    I will agree with that post. That's what I used with my previous G30.
    Now......Galco vs Don Hume? Someone already posted a reply concerning model. I think similarly in that respect. I've had both, worn both extensively, IWB and OWB. I still have both brands of holsters to this day for different purposes. Since this is a relatively old thread............................................ .................................................. ................................but still something others can learn from that didn't ask the question. Overall, the Don Hume holsters have a very nice fit, but not exactly too tight and they are molded pretty hard. Horse hide, often double lined, and boned. Galco holsters also offer a very nice fit, but they are a bit thinner and more flexible...leather for the most part. Simply from my experiences with both. Most of the major holster manufacturers offer different tiers of holsters at different costs. You might say that not many are actual budget offerings........but usually offer a better and best option that relates to less expensive alternatives to top of the line. Holsters are tools just like your sidearm. Only you decide what you keep in your toolbox. Nothing wrong with having more than one toolbox, and each with a different set of tools. Try to avoid mixing them up.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Galco and probably have close to a dozen of their holsters and belts. I have never had any experience with Don Hume. I'm sure they probably make a fine holster also.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  12. #12
    Member Array azretired's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    218
    I've had both Hume and Galco both are good quality but Don Hume gets my vote, I have a couple JITs, IWB and my first duty holster was a Hume Border Petrol style.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bianchi vs galco

,

don hume

,
don hume cm9
,

don hume h724

,
don hume iwb kahr cm9
,
don hume jit
,
don hume jit kahr cw9
,
don hume kahr cm9
,

don hume vs desantis

,

don hume vs galco

,

galco vs bianchi

,

galco vs don hume

Click on a term to search for related topics.