My first DIY leather holster

This is a discussion on My first DIY leather holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, once I got into the hybrids I figured it was only a matter of time before I tried a leather holster. This one is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My first DIY leather holster

My first DIY leather holster

Well, once I got into the hybrids I figured it was only a matter of time before I tried a leather holster. This one is still in process so to speak. I've been wearing it a few days and really like it. It's not your typical OWB holster. I wanted something I could take on and off easily without removing my belt. So I went with straps that snap on. I am also going to try making some straps for IWB. Not sure if I can go all the way to tuckable though. Might try that too.

It was definitely a learning process. A few things I would do differently, like use chicago screws for attaching the straps to the holster and leaving the bottom of the holster open. I wanted the pistol in a little bit further. I knew I was pushing it by trying to make it more compact. Leaving the bottom open would have let me force the pistol in further. And I got in a hurry finishing the straps. I should have deglazed them better, the finish is spotty. I need to trim the ends on the straps too. I'll take it though.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

I honestly would not even know where or how to begin making a "home made" holster. I think you did an awesome job. The holster looks like it rides high and tight to the body, gun sits well. Thanks for sharing your handiwork.
    oneshot likes this.

Six months ago I would have said the same thing. Lots of research; reading and watching videos. Looked at a lot of other holsters. My wife needed a holster for her new carry gun so I got into leather/kydex hybrids. Made several of them, sold a few. Then decided to make the jump into leather. I've always wanted one, but did not want to fork out the money. So I made one. Probably more to follow. It's addictive.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Don't take this wrong, but it looks a lot better than I was expecting when I opened the thread. Nice first job.

looks great and functional too. Good job.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Ok you set the bar high what are you going to do next? Good job

That looks nice! I'd pay a few bucks for one of those! :) I agree with you on having the gun set a bit further in; but either way, it looks nice.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Very nice work for a first effort. I've been doing leatherwork for several years and yours is better than my first one..........and my second.............probably my third and fourth.

Very nice for your first. I like the cant and how it rides close and tight. I bet your second will be amazing!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Don't take this wrong, but it looks a lot better than I was expecting when I opened the thread. Nice first job.
    That makes two of us!

Thanks guys.

That looks good! What machine are you using to sew the leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    That looks good! What machine are you using to sew the leather?
    All by hand. Laid out the outline and spacing by hand (1/4" from the edge and 1/4" apart), drilled the holes with a cordless drill, and used a saddle stitch with heavy needles and waxed thread. Needless to say, it took a while. But I'm a stickler for details, so I would not have been happy unless it looked good. FWIW, the stitch on the slide guard was done before it was glued together. Once it was glued I matched it up to the outer stitch, which was one continuous thread. Then went back and outlined the pocket for the gun with 2 separate sets of stitches. They are all backstitched a few spaces to hold them. All this was done before dyeing the leather.

Nice job. I agree with leaving the bottom open. That will make the trigger guard stitch line closer. Also, just for looks, you can round the stitch line at the bottom left of the the trigger guard and the pistol will still fit well. Check out leatherworker.net. A lot of good folks on there. And some great sources of info.
    Best wishes
    sgb likes this.
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    As a fledgling holster maker myself I've got to say good job. It's a very good beginning in my opinion. The more holsters you make the more you learn and the better you get. Keep it up.

My first OWB

My first IWB (just a couple days ago)

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Good stuff sgb!

BTW. I think the stitch at the trigger guard is off a bit because that's closer to where I expected it to fit. Just did not work out like that. Wetting the leather more may have helped, but probably not much. Leatherworker has come up a few times on my searches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links