Simply Rugged Silver Dollar

This is a discussion on Simply Rugged Silver Dollar within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake Holster, and I could not be happier! I received it 3 weeks to the day from ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanielC

Thread: Simply Rugged Silver Dollar

Simply Rugged Silver Dollar

I just received my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake Holster, and I could not be happier! I received it 3 weeks to the day from the time I placed the order, and it fits my SP101 2.25" .357Mag like a glove! I put it on my belt, and it vanishes under a loose fitting tank top, just like I'd hoped it would! I know this company has a great reputation already, but I wanted to add to it. I highly recommend these folks. SP101 holstered Sized.jpgholstercoveredsized.jpgholsterexposedsized.jpg
    azchevy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Nice! They do have a very good rep. Does the lower slot take it to neutral (no rake)?
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Does the lower slot take it to neutral (no rake)?

Pretty much, yes. I noticed that the butt of the grip protrudes a bit and becomes visible through my shirt when I have it through the lower slot. It seems to fit closer to my hip using the configuration in the picture. I figure I'll be spending a lot of time in front of the mirror figuring out a happy medium between comfort and accessibility. I'll take another pic later with it in the lower slot and post both for comparison.

My fiance just read my post and saw that it's called a silver dollar pancake holster, and suggested I carry pancakes in it instead. Actually, not a bad idea!

mmm...and a bottle of real maple syrup....

That works!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    Does the lower slot take it to neutral (no rake)?

Pretty much, yes. I noticed that the butt of the grip protrudes a bit and becomes visible through my shirt when I have it through the lower slot. It seems to fit closer to my hip using the configuration in the picture. I figure I'll be spending a lot of time in front of the mirror figuring out a happy medium between comfort and accessibility. I'll take another pic later with it in the lower slot and post both for comparison.
    You do realize that's Roy Baker's original Pancake holster and the "silver dollar" nomenclature is just someone having a bit of fun with y'all? And that the third slot is there only to make it possible to carry in cross draw mode? Read his patent, or his 1970s brochures, for more detail. Vertical carry is not intended to conceal on the strong side unless worn above the front pocket, which unlike crossdraw position presents substantial dangers when you're seated.

Looks like it covers nice

Vertical carry is not intended to conceal on the strong side unless worn above the front pocket, which unlike crossdraw position presents substantial dangers when you're seated.
    Help me understand better. Are you saying the pancake holster is not meant to be used for concealment purposes in vertical carry unless the holster is above (higher) than the front pocket or in front (appendix) of the front pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Help me understand better. Are you saying the pancake holster is not meant to be used for concealment purposes in vertical carry unless the holster is above (higher) than the front pocket or in front (appendix) of the front pocket?
    Let's back up. While wearing your piece, sit down. If the muzzle is now pointed at your body, then an a.d whle drawing can leave you either slightly or badly injured. I know plenty of gunmen who've put a bullet into themselves this way, including losing a testicle.

As to the pancake, the origin of the third slot on the Baker Pancake was strictly to allow cross draw carry along the pants seam, similar to a vertical shoulder holster but on the belt. Worn strong side in that slot, to make the grip conceal the holster has to be pulled into the appendix position (properly called the "lateral anterior" position), and now the muzzle is pointed at your femoral artery. An a.d now means you'll bleed to death in a few minutes.

I'm suggesting to forum readers that we don't have unlimited choice in carry position because of such considerations, including the horizontal shoulder holster (violates the 'love thy neighbor' rule).
    Last edited by rednichols; March 28th, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

As to the pancake, the origin of the third slot on the Baker Pancake was strictly to allow cross draw carry along the pants seam, similar to a vertical shoulder holster but on the belt. Worn strong side in that slot, to make the grip conceal the holster has to be pulled into the appendix position (properly called the "lateral anterior" position), and now the muzzle is pointed at your femoral artery. An a.d now means you'll bleed to death in a few minutes.
    Gotcha. That's very sound advice. I still have a Roy Baker original Pancake holster I bought over 30 years ago when I bought my first handgun, a Ruger Mark I. It was an OWB holster w/ 4 (or possibly 5) slots, allowing all sorts of carry, including a "high rise" carry. As it turns out, the latter was not a good carry position as it allowed the gun to wobble back and forth against your side. Neverthelss, a very nice piece of leather!

Links