Long time 45 acp carrier.

This is a discussion on Long time 45 acp carrier. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Briefly carried .45 acp in an unrelaible 1911 (It was better than nothing). When I could afford to I got a GLOCK 19 in 9mm ...

View Poll Results: would you be comfortable with 40 cal?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 79.17%
  • nope

25 20.83%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Long time 45 acp carrier.

Briefly carried .45 acp in an unrelaible 1911 (It was better than nothing). When I could afford to I got a GLOCK 19 in 9mm and haven't looked back. Would I carry a .45 acp again, maybe. But I do love the capacity, lethality, shootability, availability, and affordability of the 9mm. I've only shot a few rounds of .40 S&W, wasn't impressed either way. Like Mike1956, I've not found a need for .40 S&W. 9mm is the minimum SD caliber for me.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2. Remove Ads

Carry an S&W Model 457 .45ACP 7+1 never trust anything less than a .45 Even the model # has a .45

yep................the .40cal may expand but the .45acp will never shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    People who claim that they are only comfortable with something like .45 do not understand ballistics as it pertains to a handgun.

Go find a doctor that can tell the difference between .40/9mm/.45 calibers simply by looking at a wound channel and get back to us.
    As someone who in a different life worked in trauma/ER I can tell you, one CAN tell the difference, IF you look closely, and know what to look for. The .45 being slower provides a much larger shock pattern and the exit wound will look more "blown" than a 9mm. However, the 9mm is faster, and when a good defensive round expands, it has much less energy when it does exit, (if it does). Since the mass is smaller, the 9mm does tend to break apart inside the body much more than the .45 and can cause tremendous damage internally. The 9mm will tend to cause a lot bleeding out, but but many times it will be internally bleeding out. The .45 can tend to cause more obvious external bleeding, and the bullet will tend to stay in one single piece or in larger pieces. The "shattering" of the 9mm can cause lots of small lacerations and the pieces can move around, which leads the the internal bleeding.

Now, if I had a choice of which to shoot (or get shot with) - Although the damages may have slightly different characteristics, the years in the ER bay working with the docs tell me, either way, its gonna do enough damage to stop the threat, and shot placement has a lot more to how lethal a round is versus the size.

.40's are a little harder to tell apart, but not as common as the 9's or .45's were in my ER time.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    As someone who in a different life worked in trauma/ER I can tell you, one CAN tell the difference, IF you look closely, and know what to look for. The .45 being slower provides a much larger shock pattern and the exit wound will look more "blown" than a 9mm. However, the 9mm is faster, and when a good defensive round expands, it has much less energy when it does exit, (if it does). Since the mass is smaller, the 9mm does tend to break apart inside the body much more than the .45 and can cause tremendous damage internally. The 9mm will tend to cause a lot bleeding out, but internally by many times it will be internal bleeding. The .45 will tend to cause more obvious external bleeding, and the bullet will tend to stay in one single piece or in larger pieces. The "shattering" of the 9mm can cause lots of small lacerations and the pieces can move around, which leads the the internal bleeding.

Now, if I had a choice of which to shoot (or get shot with) - Although the damages may have slightly different characteristics, the years in the ER bay working with the docs tell me, either way, its gonna do enough damage to stop the threat, and shot placement has a lot more to how lethal a round is versus the size.

.40's are a little harder to tell apart, but not as common as the 9's or .45's were in my ER time.
    That is completely contradictory to every medical professional I have ever spoken with but arguing on the internet is like...... you know what I mean.

A wound channel in the human body is not a simple cylinder, but rather a complex shape that, as others have pointed out and as Duncan Macpherson mathematically elucidated, is shaped by the meplat of the bullet (which, in expanding bullets, changes as it courses through tissue) and its velocity. Even if you were able to use an MRI to precisely measure the dimensions of a specific GSW tract in, say, a medical cadaver--and frankly, most MRI's aren't that precise for this sort of thing--you would get an entirely different wound profile if you varied the angle of incidence by 5 or 10 degrees, or changed the point of impact 2 centimeters to the left. The volume of the permanent cavity is also going to vary depending on what tissues it passes through, as some tissues are more elastic than others, and due to this elasticity, the actual vascular surface area exposed by the GSW will not bear a reliable relationship to the volume of the cavity.
    You should patent your identification methods and make money on it because you are the first to confidently claim it.

IMO...........I'm not interested in a light caliber 9mm....especially one that may break-up into pieces. I'd rather opt for that slow moving hunk of lead, dumping all it energy / FPS into the wound cavity or...... get ready for this.........an exit wound the size of a golf ball....that will stop the threat immediately.
    Yep I said it, a pass through......2 holes are better than 1 when in 11mm......that's why I like FMJ 230 Gr....
    Go ahead now let me have it.......Accuracy 1st then Penetration....IMO.

Why carry a .40 when you can carry a .45acp........?

I shot my buddy's glock 23 last week. Man, I forgot how good those mid sized glocks feel.

I've never had to draw a weapon on anybody in the United States and, going back to my childhood, I can't remember any situation where a gun should be drawn by anybody.

So, would I feel under gunned walking around with a glock 23 on my hip?

Um...no. It's somewhat ridiculous to even ask.

I am equally accurate between the 45 and 40 SW Glock. I shoot/carry the G23/27/30/36.

The 45 is not that much bigger than a 40. I feel more confident with having more rounds in a 40.

Then again, 19+1 in my XDM 9mm is not too shabby either.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I may have misread what you were asking.
    Would I feel under-gunned? No! Nor do I have any particular dislike for he .40.

It's just that in similar firearms,.40 is a bit snappier than the .45. OMO, of course.
    I prefer the .45, and I like the slightly bigger holes, too.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I voted yes because I carry a 45 or a 9MM. I admit to keeping a HD 40 bedside ( Beretta 96 )
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Every day is a .45, as mine is perfect 4 concealed.
    Carry a .40, OWB around the farm.

With the quality of today's bullets, I trust 'em all. If there is a screwup, most likely it will be mine.

I love my 40sw. I have 1911 .45 and 9mm. I like the round count of the 40 and penetration factor. No more or much more snap than a 9mm to me

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I voted .40 as good-to-go. I don't have any experience with the round, but I'm currently carrying a Glock 31, which is chambered in .40s smokin' hot cousin, .357 Sig. And, I most certainly don't feel under-gunned. My other carry piece is a .45 ACP 1911.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I had a .40 S&W before I sold it for my 1911. I could go back to the .40 if I had too without hesitation.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links