Long time 45 acp carrier. - Page 3

Long time 45 acp carrier.

This is a discussion on Long time 45 acp carrier. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if the velocity is the same--a 180 graine 40 or a 180 gr 45, than the energy is the same what is different and can ...

View Poll Results: would you be comfortable with 40 cal?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 79.17%
  • nope

25 20.83%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Long time 45 acp carrier.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if the velocity is the same--a 180 graine 40 or a 180 gr 45, than the energy is the same

what is different and can be discussed is, the diameter of the 40--being smaller it may not tick the vein that the wider
    45 cal does. but the 40 goes deeper and may do damage the 45 can't reach.

same as arguements 9 vs 45 have raged for over a hundred years...
    and it not for lack of bodies to examine that the discussion continues.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I sold the only .40 cal I owned (Glock 23). Not because I didn't like it, trust it, or felt under-gunned. I actually liked it quite well but it was the only gun I had in .40 cal.

I have multiple 9mm's, multiple .45's, multiple .357's, multiple .38's. Currently I'm carrying 9mm's for defense since the ammo is cheaper and I'm shooting them a heck of a lot more. If ammo prices ever come down, I may go back to carrying my .45's. But for now, economics at least partially dictates what I'm carrying and shooting these days.

I just didn't see the need to hang on to it, or buy more .40's since I was no longer required to carry a .40 cal Glock anymore.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry .40 in the winter (M&P). and 9mm in the warmer months (G26, PF9). As it's been said you not under gunned with a 9mm. People think this all the time, but the ballistics speak for themselves. 20 yrs ago, maybe. But SD ammo has come a LONG way! With a full size gun .45 is a little nicer to shoot because .40 is a little snappier but not by much. and 9mm.......is 9mm.

mkh
    I have 3 .40s in my arsenal and I have no problems with carrying them. However, my normal carry is an officer size Sig 1911.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    No problem at all...I rotate my carry options between 9mm, .40 & .45.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I started carrying .45 and then added a .38. Now, I alternate between .45, 9mm, .38, and .40. I feel equally protected by all of them for the most likely SD scenario that I might encounter. Practice makes the difference, as does knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each caliber. I feel that having multiple carry options makes it easier for me to comply with Rule #1. Varying the caliber expands those options. You just have to shoot more. I find that I carry the gun that I happen to be practicing with the most. Right now, it's a Glock 27.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with the .40 S&W power-wise, but I prefer .45 ACP or 9mm. .45 ACP if I want a bigger bullet, 9mm if I want higher capacity. I find both more controllable than the .40 S&W.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Shot placement is much more important than caliber when it comes to handguns that you would carry for self defense

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    That is completely contradictory to every medical professional I have ever spoken with but arguing on the internet is like...... you know what I mean.
    Regarding the being able to tell what caliber by the gun shot - no it is not a science, and I couldn't do it myself without his pointing it out. This doctor has done many "bullet retrievals" for forensics and would always try to place bets with those of us who enjoyed the sport as to what caliber it was. NEVER bet against him, If he tried to bet you, it was because he had a gut feeling. (This was the day's before .40's were common on the street).

Is their a scientific way to tell which it was, (9mm versus .45) not that I am aware, but an experienced person with a good eye, can develop the skills, senses to make good educated and mostly accurate guesses. Can I do it, NO, but I witnessed him do it several times.

But, agree, no arguing, just saying this guy was GOOD at it, and if he tried to bet you, there was 90% chance you would loose. (I lost more than one can of soda to him!)
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I wonder if there are any graphics or images that show what happens to bullet expansion when it hits a solid object such as bone. These images are great to demonstrate design, and effectiveness of expansion, and ballistic gels are great for demonstrating the bullet response to soft tissue.

Has anyone seen anything like that?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Do not like the snap of the 40 10 mm or 45 (I hunt with a 50 pistol so it is not the recoil)
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I wonder if there are any graphics or images that show what happens to bullet expansion when it hits a solid object such as bone. These images are great to demonstrate design, and effectiveness of expansion, and ballistic gels are great for demonstrating the bullet response to soft tissue.

Has anyone seen anything like that?
    I would rather take the docs who get paid to research these things opinion over any others....
    Basic Wound Ballistic Terminal Performance Facts - M4Carbine.net Forums

Total wound channel comparisons - M4Carbine.net Forums

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

To sum it up, you cannot determine caliber simply by wound cavity as you claim, and shot placement is much more important than caliber....

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I would not want to get hit with either round, 45 or 40.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

As someone that is researching guns and calibers for my next CCW, my question is kind of the opposite of the OP. Do any of the people carrying a 45 feel under gunned with only 10 rounds(estimation) compared to say a 9mm that has 17? I have seen many posts about carrying bugs and extra clips, so I would think many people would count the lack of bullet capacity for many 45's a big disadvantage?

Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    As someone that is researching guns and calibers for my next CCW, my question is kind of the opposite of the OP. Do any of the people carrying a 45 feel under gunned with only 10 rounds(estimation) compared to say a 9mm that has 17? I have seen many posts about carrying bugs and extra clips, so I would think many people would count the lack of bullet capacity for many 45's a big disadvantage?

I carry a .45acp here in California. We are limited to 10 round mags, so I say anything less then a .45acp is pointless if it comes down to round count. My 0.02
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links