Long time 45 acp carrier. - Page 4

Long time 45 acp carrier.

This is a discussion on Long time 45 acp carrier. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am legally allowed to carry a higher capacity firearm but choose to stick with my 1911 in .45 ACP. I have too many years ...

View Poll Results: would you be comfortable with 40 cal?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 79.17%
  • nope

25 20.83%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Long time 45 acp carrier.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I am legally allowed to carry a higher capacity firearm but choose to stick with my 1911 in .45 ACP. I have too many years with her - I know every square inch, quirk, feel and touch. Muscle memory (and confidence) is on my side. I could learn a different platform, but why?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Yes, if you mean comfortable with terminal performance. I doubt there is any difference in terminal effectiveness between the .45 ACP and .40 S&W cartridges, especially with today's premium controlled-expansion JHP ammo. I work for a PD which had a largely wide-open weapon policy until 1997, with .45 ACP being a popular choice, then we went to .40 as standard for duty pistols. We collectively shoot quite a few bad guys each year, and if hit well, bad guys fall to .40 well enough. What matters is where we hit them.

I am probably going to switch to a 9mm duty pistol if/when, as expected, the chief signs off on a policy change allowing specified 9mm duty pistols. (We buy our own firearms, within guidelines.) Why switch? Well, I am getting old, and .40 is harsh on the old wrists, cumulatively. Something about .40 recoil dynamics in a P229 makes it an instrument of torture, much worse than .45 ACP from an all-steel 1911. Will I lose sleep, worrying about 9mm effectiveness? Nope. I don't think the .40 is more of a "stopper" than a good premium 9mm controlled-expansion JHP.

I prefer .45 ACP to .40 S&W for the milder flash and blast, and the slower-accelerating recoil impulse.

sgb
    While I'm a .45acp guy I'd rather pack a 9mm for the extra mag capacity over the .40
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    All my carry guns are either 9mm or .45acp. The .40 S&W answers a question I never asked, and fills an opening for which I do not have a vacancy.
    Perfect summary of my feelings on the .40S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I wonder if there are any graphics or images that show what happens to bullet expansion when it hits a solid object such as bone. These images are great to demonstrate design, and effectiveness of expansion, and ballistic gels are great for demonstrating the bullet response to soft tissue.

Has anyone seen anything like that?
    These guys do a pretty good job, I think. .45ACP The computer I'm using at the moment won't let me look at the PDF without going through a lot of work, but I think one of their tests they use a 'synthetic bone' to replicate shooting center-mass. You might have to search a bit on the site, but I think it's there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    While I'm a .45acp guy I'd rather pack a 9mm for the extra mag capacity over the .40
    I think the .40S&W fits the middle-ground perfectly; it's a 'large(er) caliber', has a rather large magazine capacity (averages 3-4 rounds more than a .45ACP in the same frame weapon), and isn't too unpleasant to load a magazine with it. (Unlike .22s, or 9mms- I have relatively large hands)

The other week I got to shoot my buddy's Sig 250C, and it was pretty nice. My first time with a Sig, AND .40S&W. I have to say, it's a pretty impressive round. My grouping was better than his at 7yds- I might be able to put a picture up later.

I had heard that the .40S&W was some kind of 'monster' round- terrible recoil, and difficult to shoot. But, I have to say that I was let down. Even in the compact pistol that I used, it was less recoil than my 1911 in .45ACP. Figure that one out. If ammo was more easily found (SHTF, you'll find 9mm & .45ACP more often, I think), I might look into picking something up in .40. I had a high capacity .45ACP, but sold it the other week because I carry a 1911, and my wife didn't like that particular gun anymore.

When it comes down to it, if you're torn between high capacity and 'big holes', the .40S&W fills that void. It's a niche gun- sort of like a derringer, only a smaller niche.

Personally? I prefer the .45ACP as my semi-auto SD round- but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a .40S&W.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Before the existence of reliably-expanding JHP ammo that would also feed reliably in auto-pistols, I believe The .40 S&W was a valid concept. That was not so long ago! Now that good controlled-expansion ammo exists, the need for a middle-bore is largely a thing of the past, as I see it. The .40 S&W came along at about the time bullet technology made its bore size and bullet weight irrelevant. Not that there is anything wrong with the .40 S&W; it may not be my cup of tea, but it certainly performs well in the real world. The .40 S&W cartridge case gave rise to the 357 SIG, a concept which I happen to really like.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links