OWB hostlers used by MIL

OWB hostlers used by MIL

This is a discussion on OWB hostlers used by MIL within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had posted a while ago about OWB to be used while hiking. This is for SW MP9 full size. I noticed while watching a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yoda

Thread: OWB hostlers used by MIL

OWB hostlers used by MIL

I had posted a while ago about OWB to be used while hiking. This is for SW MP9 full size.

I noticed while watching a program last evening that was showing army rangers, they have a holster with thumb break of sorts. They didn't really dwell very long, and the picture was only for a few seconds so I couldn't get a good look.

But, if there is anybody who does hiking and camping to the nth degree, it would be these guys.

Specifically I was looking for something that is very secure regardless of going up, down around, etc. Plus something that is secure against snags. I am not looking for a leg strap. Having not been in the military, I am not familiar with what they use. But if anyone has ideas, or just suggestions to solve what I am looking for, please chime in. Thanks.

Rangers are typically using something like this-
    berreta-m9-c.jpg

This is a Blackhawk! Serpa in a color of their choice I presume. This is a pretty secure field rig (as opposed to an LEO level II or level III security rig).

The service holster for the M9 is a nylon rig that I never liked-
    2918L.jpg

It is NOT a thumb break, put one pulls down on the loop of the flap.

You may also see these rigs in use by SpecOps guys:
    ambmol-main.jpg

VOILA?

it might have been the molle one. These just velcro on, or can you put it thru a belt? It definitely had a thumb break that was wide like in your picture.

I have looked long and hard at the Blackhawk, but have heard too many mixed reviews about people drawing a shooting themselves!

I am a pretty old guy, and the M9 looks like what GI Joe had in the 60s;-). They still use this?

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    I have looked long and hard at the Blackhawk, but have heard too many mixed reviews about people drawing a shooting themselves!

I am a pretty old guy, and the M9 looks like what GI Joe had in the 60s;-). They still use this?
    The flap holster in the military dates to at least the civil war. They are designed to protect the pistol from the elements. They are not quick draw rigs, but the have their place. I have an old Assault Systems nylon flap that I have had for years and is sadly out of production. It is what I used when doing wilderness SAR and high angle rescue.

As far as shooting yourself with a Serpa, its all training, or lack thereof. I would be more concerned with the holster not releasing the pistol. Keep your booger hook off the trigger until you are ready to fire and it will not go boom.

I guess MIL doesn't mean Mother In Law.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Practice with the SERPA a bit and you get used to it. I don't put my finger in the trigger guard until I'm committed to firing anyway. I wear mine trout fishing. I have to climb over rocks, boulders, crawl around, through brush; and I've had no issues. You can shoot yourself with any holster. But it's not the SERPA, it's the operator. Even if you push the button as hard as possible during the draw, your finger will go onto the slide not in the trigger guard. You have to move your finger into the guard yourself.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Practice with the SERPA a bit and you get used to it. I don't put my finger in the trigger guard until I'm committed to firing anyway. I wear mine trout fishing. I have to climb over rocks, boulders, crawl around, through brush; and I've had no issues. You can shoot yourself with any holster. But it's not the SERPA, it's the operator. Even if you push the button as hard as possible during the draw, your finger will go onto the slide not in the trigger guard. You have to move your finger into the guard yourself.
    I agree. I carry my 1911 in a SERPA holster when I am prospecting, exploring ghost towns ETC

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    it might have been the molle one. These just velcro on, or can you put it thru a belt? It definitely had a thumb break that was wide like in your picture.
    SERPAs are modular and thus have several different attachments. Usually the holster comes with a belt loop and a paddle. The thigh platform can be purchased separately. Also available is a mounting bracket that can attach to MOLLE webbing. All these are attached using machine screws. However, I have also seen a circular quick disconnect system that allows you to quickly transfer the holster from one platform to another easily. Obviously, the extra bulk and thickness make concealment more difficult. I've never seen velcro associated with a SERPA, but I suppose it's possible.

I'm currently using a Level 3 SERPA on a thigh rig that I purchased for about $95 from OpticsPlanet. At home, I use a Level 2 SERPA paddle holster to OC my M&P. I have had zero complaints with the design or durability. If people are shooting themselves attempting to draw from one of these holsters, it's because--and this should be self-evident--they're doing it wrong. The lever is designed on the assumption that your trigger finger is placed flat along the side of the holster and subsequently the gun. If one curls the trigger finger in the attempt to get it inside the trigger guard and onto the trigger during the course of the draw, then yes, it could go bang, and the leg wound is nature's way of pointing out your bad habit. You could use a Safariland holster instead, which employs a thumb release button. This would allow the gun to clear the holster before prematurely firing because your trigger finger still isn't where it belongs.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

For the Military Deployments in the last 10 years reg's have been loosened up a bit. While it is true the Military likes to standardize thing ,they did allow Units a lot of flexibility in Hand gun holsters. It was not uncommon to see any one of 5 or six different ones in issue or being approved of out side purchase. Reall has nothing to do with rangers or speical force and all the stuff.
    For many many years Military gear was focused on a wide range of mission all over the world. Longer term Missions in the Middle East required adjustments to what was the standard.
    Few soldier really carry a hand gun. Head Quarters personal, some Guard duty, Machine gunners/crew serve gunners . Some unit were issues hand guns to Rifleman as a second weapon .
    Just because the Military uses something does not make it the best for the public, different worlds. Different needs.

Sponsored Links