Dealing with Louisville Leather Holster's a little long

This is a discussion on Dealing with Louisville Leather Holster's a little long within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First you need to know that it is very hard to find a holster for a Tokarev TT33 and I don't like wearing baggy clothes ...

Thread: Dealing with Louisville Leather Holster's a little long

Dealing with Louisville Leather Holster's a little long

First you need to know that it is very hard to find a holster for a Tokarev TT33 and I don't like wearing baggy clothes and prefer to not dress around the gun, I was hoping this would work. I am 5'10 and 190 lbs. I even tried shorts and a t-shirt for summer carry.

I first contacted Louisville Leather on Jan. 24 with just an inquiry.

I am interested in an IWB holster. I would like the holster to be made for a Tokarev TT33. The color can be what ever is cheapest I am not looking for anythng fancy just functional. Are you able to make one, if so how much and what kind of a time frame are you looking at?
    Ryan responded within 2 days which seemed acceptable to me.

It's great to hear from you. I do not have any on hand and all of the colors are the same cost to me. I would be happy to make an IWB Tok holster for $50 shipped and it should go out by the end of this week. You could have it in natural, light brown, dark brown, or black.

Thanks for the consideration and look forward to your response,
    Ryan
    On Feb.6th I emailed Ryan that I will buy a holster but needed to wait a month due to a funding problem ( I never seem to have enough ). He replied that it was not a problem and he could start it if I wanted him to, I got busy and did not respond ooops!

On March 6th I went to there website Louisville Leather Shop | Home Of Custom Belts, Holsters, And Accessories and saw a combo IWB-OWB holster and thought all I would need was a crossdraw and I'd have the perfect set up. I sent an email and stated that I was ready to order and gave him my pick for options and asked if he could do an IWB, OWB, Crossdraw holster. Ryan's reply on March 8th was

Great questions! I just finished playing with a three hole set up and it seems to work very well. I'm not sure why I have not yet offered that option. I currently have a week turnaround time, so it should ship around next Thursday. It'll run $70 shipped for the combo.

If that sounds good, let me know and I'll get to work on it. I do ask for payment only after it is created and I send a pic for you to inspect.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    I said do it! By March 16th I had the holster
    The first thing I noticed was how nice it looked but it seemed small hmmm I thought. So I got my gun
    and found it fit perfectly. I put it on and after finding where it needed to be to feel comfortable went for a walk. Being new to CCW I felt everyone was watching me and could see it. After a week without my wife even knowing I was carrying I lost the everyone can see mentality. I wore it all three ways and practiced drawing from it all three ways.

Now for the real nitty gritty the pro's and con's. Keep in mind it's my first holster other than the one shipped with my Tokarev.

Pro's
    Excellent customer service
    Willingness to customize
    Very fast turn around time
    Very fairly priced
    Looks really good
    Retention is superb (I chased after our dog and still felt comfortable)
    IWB-OWB very comfortable ( I forget I am carrying most days)
    Hides gun very well IWB-OWB ( my cellphone prints more )
    1 holster for three ways to carry

Now the con's
    Looks to good to wear
    Crossdraw is a little awkward (never carried that way before)
    Crossdraw prints badly (I suspected it would)
    While practicing drawing the front sight picks up little pieces of leather (might be normal I don't know)
    I forget that I am carrying (to comfortable)

Yes, I do know the Safety concerns involved with carrying a Tok TT33 so please don't bring them up.
    If it bugs you because of the safety factor I would gladly let you send me a different gun or some $$$ to buy a different one.

Thanks and may God protect you and I from all evil
    Oddball

Here are the pic's
    DSC_0044_01.JPGDSC_0045_01.JPGDSC_0046_01.JPGDSC_0049_01.JPGDSC_0050_01.JPGDSC_0051_01.JPG

2. Remove Ads

Have to give the maker credit for stretching the envelope in terms of styling and multiple carries.

There are so many little makers in the States, that it seems it's as easy to start one up as becoming a house painter: brushes, rollers, scrapers, some rags and sheets, and get the customer to buy the paint, and you're in business.

I forgot to mention the quality is great, and it's even comfortable to wear any of the three ways (IWB-OWB-Crossdraw) while driving.

Yes the creativity of styling is cool, Louisville Leather offered a combo IWB-OWB holster, I requested the Trifecta holster IWB-OWB-Crossdraw be made for me. Ryan was very easy to deal with and had a fast turn around time.

After searching all of the big holster makers, for Tokarev TT33 holster and them only listing a universal fit, all that's left are the small holster makers. I did email several big holster makers and the response was either "I am sorry we do not offer one custom fit, but we have a universal holster that might work" or no response at all. The little holster makers probably don't effect the bottom line dollar on the big makers. If they do it would be because the big holster makers aren't offering what the customer wants, as in my case, or they charge to much.

If someone can start out by making something for themselves and seeing a market for it that's great. I can't think of any big company that just started out big can you?
    I think it's awesome when you can order something custom made "IWB-OWB-Cross draw holster" and talk directly to the owner/maker and have it made for a reasonable price. That's something that rarely happens with a big company. Warranty issues are my only concerns when dealing with a small business. After chatting with Ryan at Louisville Leather I feel if I ever had a problem with this holster I could directly contact him and get things resolved. I find it hard to believe I could go right to the owner/maker of Bianchi International, DeSantis, Galco, Fobus, Blackhawk or Blade Tech Industries with a custom order or a complaint.

I have nothing against any other holster maker they just didn't offer what I wanted. The bottom line is a quality product and great customer service that's where it's at for any company because "size doesn't matter".

VIP Member
    That sure is a flat pistol. What is the thickness if you know? That holster has it tight against the body...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Wish I could find a TT33 somewhere for a good price. Fine looking leather!!

The slide is 3/4 of an inch and the grips are 1 1/8 inch wide (roughly) like I said my cellphone prints more. Yes it is fairly tight against the body but after the first or second day of wearing it you hardly know its there. Louisville Leather did an excellent job. I didn't want a drawer full of holster for the different ways to carry and this fits the bill, infact it's the only holster I have or need now.

I have practiced drawing it from the holster (everyday) and find it has a natural pointability, for me anyway. Mine's not the prettiest but it shoots very, very well and is reliable even with my 9mm barrel and hollow points. I did polish the feed ramp though on the 9mm. I thought about selling it and getting a Polish P64 for CCW (still might get one if I can find the $$) but it shoots way to nice and I wouldn't want to do something I'd regret later.

JGSales and Southern Ohio Gun had them in stock last I looked something like $199.

Quote Originally Posted by oddballswar View Post
    If someone can start out by making something for themselves and seeing a market for it that's great. I can't think of any big company that just started out big can you?.
    I can actually: Gould and Goodrich, which is the Smith and Wesson Holster company rebranded, which itself was the Blazer holster company of the 1960s. The big players of today all have their roots in the 1960s, when holster design was no more sophisticated than the drill holster available today at your local hardware store. The ones that didn't sophisticate went under; Bucheimer comes to mind, as does Shoemaker. The 1970s saw a huge leap forward in design sophistication, followed by technology advances in the 1980s when padded nylon and Kydex became popular (though the first Kydex holster was made by Bud Watson in 1970 as a joke, to make a point about new holster rules in the Southwest Pistol League. Kydex itself is a wall cladding material).

And unlike electric drills, pistols make holes in unwanted places, and products liability law has advanced exponentially, too. So for someone to start out today in the biz they have to know all the implications of design history, or they're going to repeat mistakes that are 50 years old. And they just might repeat them on you!

That sounds very interesting about the implications of design history, I bet that gets overlooked a lot. Now you've sparked my curiosity on the history of holster making, I bet it is quite interesting and will have to look for some books on it at the library. I can't recall ever hearing about kydex until the last year or so and it was a wall cladding material for how long??

As far as Gould and Goodrich they didn't just start big, they rebranded Smith and Wesson Holster company and had Smith and Wesson's foundation to build on.

How many things do we take for granted now adays, I will now question a holsters design history when I look at them and before I purchase one. All that said I still like the one I have, could it be made better.....I don't know.

Thank you Red Nichols for sharing and feel free to share some more wisdom because a man can never have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by oddballswar View Post
    Now you've sparked my curiosity on the history of holster making, I bet it is quite interesting and will have to look for some books on it at the library.
    There are just a handful of holster books, and there is little unbiased info in them. John's "Blue Steel" book is really all about his products (I contributed all the new material for the second edition), and his book was a direct knockoff off Chic Gaylord's book which was all about Chic's own products. Then there was Roger Coombs' "Holsters and Other Gunleather", which, unsupported by the holster industry, ended up being another paean to Bianchi holsters (check out those front and back covers, and the inside back cover). None were written to tell you the minutiae (sp?) of good holster design, and all are hopelessly out of date. Word is John has a new book (feel free to send him money he doesn't need) but he's not capable of publishing anything that isn't self-serving, and that doesn't include teaching you how to design holsters.

That G&G is based on S&W is exactly my point. With a corporate knowledge extending back into the 60s, they were no more "born small" than a whale calf is at 8 tons: Both your local maker and a whale started as a twinkle in a mammal's eye, but what a difference in the result come the birthday!

Links