first time picking a holster

This is a discussion on first time picking a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i'm having trouble deciding whether to get a crossbreed super tuck style of holster(i mentioned that particular holster because it's the one i've read really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: first time picking a holster

i'm having trouble deciding whether to get a crossbreed super tuck style of holster(i mentioned that particular holster because it's the one i've read really good reviews on. and i don't know the correct name for that style.<newb) or something small. i have never worn a holster and am trying to figure out what is the most comfortable style/type to have on all day. i drive my car for a living so i'm constantly in and out of the car. but also sitting/driving in the car for hours at a time. i want to make the best decision i can the first time as i don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on holsters. i guess i'd be wearing it at about 5-5:30. any help is appreciated, thanks.

What are you planning on carrying (gun)? That will make a big difference.

I carry a GLOCK 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe in horsehide (good for sweat resistance) with the combat cut (good for me but not for everyone). I recently took a trip and drove for about 6 hours wearing the CBST, not a problem. The holster seems big but it conforms to your body and distributes the weight of the pistol pretty good. There are a lot of CBST style holsters out there, but Crossbreed is a top-notch company to deal with and stand behind their product.

Almost as important as the holster is a good gun belt. I got one form Crossbreed but there are many good ones out there, not at your local wal-mart or target. Have you considered appendix or cross draw? If you're in the car alot these may be good options for you.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

What kind of gun will you be carrying?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

For hybrids, the choices are many. Crossbreed, Whitehat, Theis and Garrett are all top quality. There are many more to choose from. Another lower cost option is Remora. I have been carrying a Gen4 G26 for several months in either the Remora or a Whitehat. For a belt. My everyday, casual choice, especially if wearing an untucked shirt, is Wilderness 5-stitch.

clear out your sock drawer,cause holsters have a knack for multiplying.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Yes, you DO need a good holster and a good belt.
    Buy cheap several times, or buy quality once (well, sort of 'once')...you WILL start a holster box.
    I settled on Fist holsters, just like many others have settled on other quality holster makers, and there are lots of them.

Your question is like, "What kind of shoes should I buy?", and everybody has their favorite type and brand.

If you care to shop in here, I'll help...quality leather, reasonably priced, and 3-5 week delivery. HOLSTERS

I have about 6 of this type for various guns, the #1A w/body protector...FIST, INC.

Enjoy the trek...there are a ton of holster makers and someone to recommend them...ask 10 individuals their opinion...get 10 different answers.
    Lots of members here have approved of Fist, and many members have recommended other makers. Now this is where the 'holster box' comes into play.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i'm such an ass! sorry my wife was talking at the same time. i have an xdm 9mm 3.8. and will be carrying it in the compact configuration(13rnd mag).

wouldn't carrying in front(appendix) be uncomfortable for sitting? i'm not a thing guy, but not huge either. i'm 5'9, 200lbs if that helps

Cool

Carrying on the belt in a seated posistion at 5:00-5:30 will be uncomfortable no matter what holster you use IMHO.

I carry a Glock 23 in a High Noon Public Secret appendix inside the waistband at 2:00. High Noon Holsters

photo.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

When I am seated in the car the holster is in the crease of my leg.

Trial and error especially the first time carrying concealed.

As yooperdug said holsters have a way of multiplying. I have at least 2 for every handgun I have.

Good Luck.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Brommeland Max-Con Vs are the only holsters I wear. I have just never been able to get the hybrid types to ride comfortably. As another poster mentioned, 5:00 is going to be tough for driving, whatever you go with. I wear mine at 3:00/8:30 and drive comfortably for hours. Here is a quick overview of the Max-Con V. The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I currently carry my XD sc in a Remora. It is comfortable and easy to position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    clear out your sock drawer,cause holsters have a knack for multiplying.
    I have about 5 per handgun, sometimes up to 2 per handgun that actually work.

Many of us carry many different ways. If I had iron-abs like Old School, I'd certainly appendix-carry like he does. You just have to experiment a little and see what works best for you. I'm in and out of the car a lot and find that about 3:30 (just behind the blade of my hip) rides best. One rule does hold true though, you get what you pay for in a holster.

I have a CBST for my G23, and Remora's for my G23 and LC9. My CBST now sits in my holster drawer and I use the Remora's as my EDC. I think that the Remora's are just more comfortable and flexible as to positions you can place it comfortably and cant. Also a CBST or other belt clip holster has a way of dragging my pants down. The Remora doesn't do that for me.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

thanks guys, keep 'em coming. i'm checking out all the above mentioned. liking the brommeland. i tucked the xdm in my waistband at 3:00 and went to the car. as i figured, there's not enough space. so i started thinking cross draw as someone mentioned. there's a world of space at 9:00, and and walking wasn't bad at all. so i guess my criteria is iwb and adjustable cant so i can use in a couple different spots depending on what i'm doing? what do y'all think?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hek1620 View Post
    thanks guys, keep 'em coming. i'm checking out all the above mentioned. liking the brommeland. i tucked the xdm in my waistband at 3:00 and went to the car. as i figured, there's not enough space. so i started thinking cross draw as someone mentioned. there's a world of space at 9:00, and and walking wasn't bad at all. so i guess my criteria is iwb and adjustable cant so i can use in a couple different spots depending on what i'm doing? what do y'all think?
    I'm not sure what you mean by not enough space. Tucking it in your waist band gives a poor approximation of how it will ride in a forward cant holster.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links