DIY Leather #2- Beltslide

This is a discussion on DIY Leather #2- Beltslide within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This one has been giving me fits. Doing the pattern was fine. Cutting, sewing, and boning went great. But I did something wrong in the ...

This one has been giving me fits. Doing the pattern was fine. Cutting, sewing, and boning went great. But I did something wrong in the boning process and it really screwed up the dye at the end. Every time I would rub extra dye off, it would all come off in places. And even though it's alcohol based, when I did get a solid black it came off when I put the resolene on. Then I got the finish right, got the first coat of resolene on, and the resolene clumped up on the second coat. So I stripped it down as best I could and let it set a few days while I cooled off. Then I was talking to my neighbor and he gave me an idea. So I took the buggered up holster and took some more finish off in spots with fine steel wool. Then I took the buffing wheel on the grinder to it. It buffed and shined it up to a nice antique look. Two coats of resolene on to finish and I salvaged a holster out of it. I'm pretty happy with it. Learned a few good lessons on it. My wife is not particularly fond of it, so I may try selling this one.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Nice work the leather almost has patina look that is very cool.

Easy solution

Fixing that up is easier than you think; a surface-dyed holster like yours is typically oversprayed by a mass-maker with leather lacquer, in the colour of choice. Your local shoe repair will have an aerosol can of black lacquer, for example. First coat applied light, as if an undercoat. Second coat normal, as if spray painting metal. Will not rub off on your clothes, either. And the wife will let you keep this one!
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I think it looks good the way it is, I like it.. wish I could make something that nice...

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Fixing that up is easier than you think; a surface-dyed holster like yours is typically oversprayed by a mass-maker with leather lacquer, in the colour of choice. Your local shoe repair will have an aerosol can of black lacquer, for example. First coat applied light, as if an undercoat. Second coat normal, as if spray painting metal. Will not rub off on your clothes, either. And the wife will let you keep this one!
    Thanks for the tip. I've seen references to the spray on color before. I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong and will not repeat it again. I was trying to fix a problem that I had on another holster, and chose the wrong fix. I made a couple of hybrids with the same dye and had no issues on them. I'm having fun, I'll just make another one if she want's it.

The finished product is starting to grow on me though. It's all personal anyway, some people like a solid color and some like the weathered look. My neighbor was talking about staining the leather with black walnuts to do something similar. I can't think of anywhere to get my hands on the black walnuts anymore though. I wonder if pecans have enough color to them?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I like the distressed look; nice job

Links