In search of a holster maker

This is a discussion on In search of a holster maker within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ladies and/or germs After at least four years of trying out several out several different handguns, ammo, belts, holsters, etc I have finally decided upon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of a holster maker

In search of a holster maker

Ladies and/or germs

After at least four years of trying out several out several different handguns, ammo, belts, holsters, etc I have finally decided upon what I want to carry. Now I want to have the rest of the carry system built.

I will want a belt, holster, mag/flashlight pouch (and possibly a handcuff pouch). I will want some exotic trimming on each piece. Most importantly, I have searched the net far and wide and have not found a single holster that all of what I want. So, I have no doubt that this is going to have to be completely custom. (not to mention I like the idea having one that no one else does)

It was said here recently that I could have it good/fast/cheap as long as I chose two. Well, because I intend to keep and use it for a very long time, money is of little concern. However, I am not the most patient person in the world. (Don't get me wrong, I know this is not going to happen overnight. But I can't wait a year and a half+ for this package.) And, because I don't mind paying well for this, my expectations are pretty high.

If you are one of the many leather artisans that frequent here and have a relatively short waiting list, I would love to speak with you about what I would like done.

If you (like me) have no possible way of molding leather for yourself but have dealt with a maker that you think might be willing/able to help me, I would greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you all for your help.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Contact Rhome Desbiens at rvd56@comcast.net. He is a friend of mine who has been building holsters as a hobby and is now starting his own business. He will work with you to build whatever you need, his prices are extremely reasonable, turnaround is quick and his work is professional. Tell him Mike from Oregon sent you. He's good people and you will love his work.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/
    Andrews Custom Leather is another good possibility.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Rhome moved

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Contact Rhome Desbiens at rvd56@comcast.net. He is a friend of mine who has been building holsters as a hobby and is now starting his own business. He will work with you to build whatever you need, his prices are extremely reasonable, turnaround is quick and his work is professional. Tell him Mike from Oregon sent you. He's good people and you will love his work.
    I concur with Mike, however, Rhome moved yesterday, and he may not have a computer connection for a day or two, and he needs a few days to set up his equipment.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Rafter Gunleather of Missouri?

Since you like exotic leather trim on your gear, you should check out the website of Rafter Gunleather:
    Rafter Gunleather

I have one of their belts, and can recommend their quality, price and delivery time. Here is a shot of one of their exotic leather rigs, made of tan ostrich with honey elephant trim:

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Kevin @ K&D has done some very impressive stuff as well.

www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    I'd recommend any one of three or four companies to you: IMO, the greatest leather craftsman in the United States is Matt Del Fatti. Matt is an absolute genius when it comes to working leather; and, his wet-mould forming is the best I've, ever, seen.

The gear I've purchased from Wm. Tucker in Houston is, also, very well-made and Tucker's leather is among the heaviest and most durable I've, yet, worn. I have no doubt that my Tucker gun belt will outlast me by, at least, 25 years!

I've, also, seen very well-made holsters (And, I own one or two) from Kramer Gunleather and Milt Sparks.

http://www.delfatti.com/

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/

http://www.kramerleather.com/

http://www.miltsparks.com/

That covers leather; now do you want to talk Kydex? (Which is NOT the same thing as preformed plastic.)

Two words, 'Blade-Tech'!

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

PS: (Don't, 'pimp' that rig!)

You say that you can not find the style of holster that you want. Can you describe it, or is there something close from any maker who can modify an existing design?

FIST has a very nice combo magazine/cuff case that conceals well since it is thin.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

JJ573, as I look at your initial post and those that follow, it becomes clear that your answer(s) are all out there on the web, with a little research on your part. Folks here can only give you the same links and pictures that you can find on your own.

In terms of choosing the maker, I'd encourage you to call and "interview" them to see if you can get what you want and are satisfied with their commitment to service. Each person here has their own opinion on who's the best...opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one...I'd send you to Milt Sparks, there's another opinion for you. Make the contacts and make your choice.

I'd expect you'll wait 3-5 months for the custom job you're looking for, so the sooner you make up your mind and place the order, the sooner it hangs on your hip (or shoulders?).

Show us the pics when you are finished with this project, for I'm sure they will be works of art!
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 5th, 2006 at 01:50 PM.

jj573,
    I'd be very curious as to what you have in mind that no-one offers??
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

madecov...

is on to something there...I have 24+ Fist holsters...great quality at a fair price.

Look at Fist, Inc. on line...easy to find...no cost to look!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He specified exotic trim. You're not getting exotics from Fist.
    Still curious what the design is he can't find??
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am already sent me ideas to a couple of interested holster makers. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on my "design".

Also, I assure you all that I have 'done my homework' on this. I have scoured the websites of every leather holster maker that I could find mentioned anywhere. There is no one feature that I could not find. Being the difficult one that I am, I have chosen certain features from many different holster types and come up with what I think will work best for me. If / when I find out that this is a viable holster design, I will gladly share my ideas with anyone who may be interested.

I warn you though, don't expect anything phenomenal as far as design goes. Though, from what I see of these artists, I have no doubt that any of them could make even my goof up look good. Also, knowing my luck, I will have either come up with something that is no do-able or it will cost me both arms and a leg
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Still curious what the design is he can't find??
    Me too. JJ573, why don't you fill us in on what this is you're talking about...I'm totally confused about what this "design" could possibly be that's not already out there on the market. Or, is it a question of using some specific exotic materials?

Now that you've gotten all of this input, how about sharing what this "design" is, OK?

Exclamation +1!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    http://www.andrewsleather.com/
    Andrews Custom Leather is another good possibility.
    I saw Sam last weekend at the Miami gunshow. He now also works in exotics! I own at least five of his rigs including two of the shoulder holsters. Sam is da MAN!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links