Pocket holster design features

This is a discussion on Pocket holster design features within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There seems too be a plethora of pocket holster designs to consider, besides a tacky treatment what features actually keep the holster in different types ...

There seems too be a plethora of pocket holster designs to consider, besides a tacky treatment what features actually keep the holster in different types of pockets for the draw of the pistol? I am primarily concerned with those for a J-frame. Thanks.

Lead Moderator
    Alot will have a hook on the outside edge of the holster body to help grab the pocket on the draw.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well you need to look at and think about what a pocket holster does and how it works.
    For me they do 3 things....
    1)Keep the gun in one place...upright so you can get it when you need it.
    2) Keep it from printing as much as possible
    3) Keep it from collecting debris...to a point.

So with that in mind.....they shouldnt have too much retention. With the std "hook" design, as the gun is drawn the hook is caught on the edge of the pocket, catching the holster and the gun comes out easily. Leaving the holster in the pocket. You have to remember when making pocket holsters...gravity should keep the gun in the holster. Its not made as a retention device like a pancake.

The bottom of the holster should match the profile of the pockets you wear it in the most, as its more stable that way. Levi's have different pockets than Kackis/Dockers style pants. Make it work for what you have.

It should break up the outline of the gun. Some hide it completely and some just enough to work.

Some have hooks on top above the gun to help assist catching the holster...if that works in your pockets then find one that works accordingly.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

My Sam Andrews, www.andrewsleather.com , which I absolutely love, is made of hard thin leather, loosly form fitted to the gun, rough side out, square in shape so that it prints like a wallet, no hook but since the gun is loosely fit (not so loose that it rattles around), my pistol slides out smooth as a whistle and I have never had any form of resistance to the draw or pulling the holster out with the gun.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I use the "French Curve" from Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc for my J-Frame.

This model works well for Docker-type slacks. They have a straight verson for jeans.

Well made, great retention and the draw from a pocket is smooth and no printing, even when sitting.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

Thanks to all, this is the kind of practical information I was looking for. It make more sense to me now, I was ignorant to the limited retention aspect. It pays to get the information from those that know and do.
    Thanks again.

James

James, if you want a functional pocket holster for a J-frame for just $15.95, check out http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

We have one for wife's 642 and it works great...I learned that there was no point in spending a pile of money when this holster worked as well as it does!

See Fist, Inc.

and check out the #5 Kydex. I have several for my KelTec's. It is THIN, molds to the leg in one's pocket, and...has a little 'thumb push' at the top of the holster so that when you grab the gun...one push down with the thumb and the gun is right there!

Check out the Fist, Inc. site...costs nothing to look!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use a plain old UM #4 Pocket holster for either of my two Kel-tecs with no issue ever having the holster come out with the gun. It holds well and masks the gun outline well.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    James, if you want a functional pocket holster for a J-frame for just $15.95, check out http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

We have one for wife's 642 and it works great...I learned that there was no point in spending a pile of money when this holster worked as well as it does!
    I have one for my 3" SP101. I use it all the time. Can't beat it for the money. It has a beaded rubber material around the middle of the holster that keeps it in the pocket during presentation. If you stand on your head though, the weapon will exit the holster.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

I agree. I had a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my P3AT, but the Mika is better.

I purchased one of Mika's holsters but I didn't like the loose fit of my J frame in the holster, when I reclined the gun slipped out of the holster and nearly out of my pocket. I told Robert and he make one for me that was more to my liking. It retains the weapon better and is slimmer to boot. Oh, by the way the second one was no charge. I will probably buy another when I get a Keltec.

Ed

Links